Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Oh yes, those trams! Sometimes you have to wait like a minute and a half! And the tram ride drags on, second after second after second, for like about a whole minute or so.

Who has that kind of time?
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 12:44 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Oh yes, those trams! Sometimes you have to wait like a minute and a half! And the tram ride drags on, second after second after second, for like about a whole minute or so.

That's what I'm saying.

For such a small airport it does take a long time to get in and out. I can sometimes get out of ORD quicker if the gate is not too far.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:41 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:

HAHA. Must be hellish.

I see above my post here that your point went "zing".

Old 07-08-2014, 01:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
HAHA. Must be hellish.

Yep. Right over the head....LOL!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:29 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
HAHA. Must be hellish.

No, it did not go "zing". The poster I responded to was being a smart *** and that didn't go unnoticed.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
No, it did not go "zing". The poster I responded to was being a smart *** and that didn't go unnoticed.
He/she was actually accurate with the times. It takes no time at all to get on and off the tram.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 PM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
How does one qualify for this? I've never heard of it before and am very interested in it.
I got it with my Global Access card. I had to apply for it from the Department of Homeland Security a long time ago. I paid a fee but I don't remember how much. You fill out an application, and they do federal background checks on you. If they determine that you are eligible you go in for an in-person interview with an immigration official. You bring your U.S. passport with you to the interview. If you are not a US citizen you have to bring your foreign passport and your green card. They ask questions about your background, career, places you travel to...a whole bunch of stuff. And the outcome of the interview determines whether you get it or not. Global Access is really for people who travel frequently outside the USA. When you are coming back into the country you scan the card and your fingerprint on the machine and then you walk through without standing in line for immigration.

I think the Pre check process is a less vigorous application, but I don't think its really worth it for domestic travel. Several times during recent months the TSA people made me go through the long line like everybody else. They have it in their policy that they can refuse to fast-track you even if you qualify for pre check---if they determine that extra security precautions are necessary, which can be at any time, or whenever they feel like it. But when it works its very convenient.

Go here

About Global Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Old 07-09-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post

We've beat this to death.
I think it is just hard for anyone to believe that a 90 second tram ride is a major inconvenience.

Other than that, it is just a personal preference for airlines, which by most counts, TIA (TPA) is among the cream of the crops.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:04 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
I'll be back at TPA soon. Personally, I love that airport although I realize other people may not. The only thing I don't like about air travel is that deal where you hustle to get to the airport in good time, arrive hungry, have time after check-in to eat. But it feels too late for breakfast, and too early for lunch. I will probably just end up doing what I usually do in that situation.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
For someone who doesn't travel a ton and, because of this, tend to feel a bit overwhelmed when going to an airport, I LOVE Tampa's and it *does* make a difference.

And just to add, I posted elsewhere that for two years in a row (and this year will be my third), I have flown in on a Thursday and sure enough, there was the husband/wife team at the info booth by the baggage claim and they are so incredibly helpful and friendly.

IMO, the airport is easy to navigate, have very helpful people, and love the free wi-fi and ease of connecting as some other poster stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay