U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 AM

12,135 posts, read 11,416,367 times

Advertisements

Messing with the bridge is ridiculous when there is another option.

If a new cruise terminal is built it is going to be a source of revenue for a long time.

If they mess with the bridge it is going to out of service for a long time. That will eliminate toll collections, cause people to drive further for longer periods if time which will increase traffic volume on already crowded roads.

Also, the price difference between the two is another factor to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,532,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Because people actually ride on cruise ships, why the hell would you build a rail system in a place where EVERYONE drives cars? Why would anyone give up the comfort and awesomeness of driving to be stuffed into a public rail car with idiots coughing all over them and acting crazy?
Because it works in places all over the world.

Of course everyone here drives cars...we don't have an efficient and fast public transit system! Haha, if you took all the subways and trains out of Boston/DC/Atlanta/NY/LA/Chicago/etc people would also be driving EVERYWHERE!

The comfort and awesomeness when it comes to driving for some people is monthly payments, maintenance, insurance, property taxes, fuel, and sitting in traffic for 45 minutes to an hour trying to get from I-4/I-275 to the Veterans.

This is a different topic altogether and I'd hate to "derail" this one.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:37 AM

12,135 posts, read 11,416,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post

Of course everyone here drives cars...we don't have an efficient and fast public transit system! Haha, if you took all the subways and trains out of Boston/DC/Atlanta/NY/LA/Chicago/etc people would also be driving EVERYWHERE!

The comfort and awesomeness when it comes to driving for some people is monthly payments, maintenance, insurance, property taxes, fuel, and sitting in traffic for 45 minutes to an hour trying to get from I-4/I-275 to the Veterans.

This is a different topic altogether and I'd hate to "derail" this one.

If you took the subways and trains out of those cities there would be complete gridlock. No traffic could possibly move. Where would they all park. 1.6 BILLION subway trips are taken in NYC each year. Imagine only a fraction of them going to cars.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you took the subways and trains out of those cities there would be complete gridlock. No traffic could possibly move. Where would they all park. 1.6 BILLION subway trips are taken in NYC each year. Imagine only a fraction of them going to cars.
But that is like did the chicken or egg come first? Building the subway and trains long ago negated the need for having highways in and out that were efficient and plentiful. Same with parking options...they don't exist in those cities because the subway exists and few people need them...so they build in place.

NYC is a bit of a different animal than the other cities in America. I think if you took away public transit in Chicago and Atlanta...it would be a nightmare, but manageable and possible. A lot like how certain people feel about traffic here.

There is a gridlock every single day throughout the day starting at the I-4/I-275 merger.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 AM

8,569 posts, read 7,315,921 times
Quote:
Because people actually ride on cruise ships, why the hell would you build a rail system in a place where EVERYONE drives cars? Why would anyone give up the comfort and awesomeness of driving to be stuffed into a public rail car with idiots coughing all over them and acting crazy?
Wish I could rep you again.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 AM

790 posts, read 849,316 times
Quote:

This area was built for transportation via automobile, the cities you listed were not.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:48 AM

8,569 posts, read 7,315,921 times
Quote:
But that is like did the chicken or egg come first? Building the subway and trains long ago negated the need for having highways in and out that were efficient and plentiful. Same with parking options...they don't exist in those cities because the subway exists and few people need them...so they build in place.

NYC is a bit of a different animal than the other cities in America. I think if you took away public transit in Chicago and Atlanta...it would be a nightmare, but manageable and possible. A lot like how certain people feel about traffic here.

There is a gridlock every single day throughout the day starting at the I-4/I-275 merger.
There is gridlock in DC, Boston and Atlanta as well. It is much easier to drive here than either of the other three. I know from personal experience.

I am all for "limited" and "targeted" transit, but certainly not widespread, costly and wasteful mass transit. Not here for the demographics and topography we have.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
This area was built for transportation via automobile, the cities you listed were not.
Atlanta? Have you been there before?

If Atlanta can have mass transit, there is no reason the Tampa Bay area can not. Same for DC.

Yeah, NYC and Boston are really compact and it is hard to see life without mass transit for them. However, you must realize that it is an effect of mass transit.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
There is gridlock in DC, Boston and Atlanta as well. It is much easier to drive here than either of the other three. I know from personal experience.

I am all for "limited" and "targeted" transit, but certainly not widespread, costly and wasteful mass transit. Not here for the demographics and topography we have.
Hmm. I know from personal experience as well, and many people say (that I would agree with) that Atlanta is one of the worst cities in America to drive in.

Not sure why you feel mass transit would be wasteful and also not sure what you mean with the "demographics" comment. Most old people don't "get" the idea of mass transit as it just doesn't fit with their upbringing and lifestyle. They are usually the most outspoken against the idea of mass transit in Tampa Bay because of their other negative quality: they are cheap. The feel entitled to the financial breaks of living in Florida but don't want to contribute to the progress in the area.

Instead, let's just keep building and widening more roads. So attractive.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:07 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,663,420 times
Quote:
what comes first, chicken or egg?
people drive cars because there is no other options... and will never be until something will be build

I understand it's totally off topic, but people here agree to close their eye on possible environmental impacts, spend billions so big fat monster cruise ships could come to Tampa... really? Not like Florida have no other places already to accommodate these needs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay