Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The only way you could get any cruise ship into John's Pass would be to cut it up and barge the pieces in. Some ships are built with masts and superstructure that fold/retract/telescope to clear bridges. That is not new technology.

The only common sense way to build a new bridge is to start fresh next to the existing one, like they did before.
You obviously would build the new port on the other side of the bridge if you were thinking Johns Pass.
Also anything on Tampa Bay would still need the Skyway Bridge to be addressed
IMO rather than spend billions of $$ every few years to rebuild the Skyway why not just leave things as they are and if your ship doesnt fit under the bridge go park it in Miami. Or knock the bridge down and leave it that way, if you are traveling south use I-75
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
At the moment the Tampa port is servicing ships of this size=
http://suncoastnews.com/storyimage/S...-305039983.jpg..

Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,085,110 times
I don't understand.... there's a debate? What is there to argue about? If Tampa Bay wants to keep the cruise industry they need to build a new terminal over in Pinellas County. Ships are getting bigger, the cruise industry is growing and whether presidents like it or not.... it brings a lot of money into the area.

When I moved here I was shocked to see the cruise terminal was in downtown Tampa. I thought it would have been over in Pinellas where vacationers can more easily enjoy our beaches before or after their cruise.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:02 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Oh, I thought you mentioned you were on disability. Pardon me. Didn't realize you listened to Glenn Beck enough to know what he spouts. I sure don't. Just stating a fact.
I had my own Aflac disability policy, which I purchased from my own funds. Nothing to do with tax payers, government or anyone else, besides my contract with an insurance company who had agreed to pay based on four doctors confirming and documenting that I am permanently disabled.

I make sure I am educated on all sides, as I am unaffilated and really do not care for the far left and far right. I don't need to follow any of the extremists full time, but can read what nonsense they spew out from independent sources.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I don't understand.... there's a debate? What is there to argue about? If Tampa Bay wants to keep the cruise industry they need to build a new terminal over in Pinellas County. Ships are getting bigger, the cruise industry is growing and whether presidents like it or not.... it brings a lot of money into the area.

When I moved here I was shocked to see the cruise terminal was in downtown Tampa. I thought it would have been over in Pinellas where vacationers can more easily enjoy our beaches before or after their cruise.
They need to be close to an airport more than anything else, but yes Pinellas would make sense. Couldn't they tear down a portion of the bridge and do a tunnel like Hampton roads that way if ships get bigger is a not a problem.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,120,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At the moment the Tampa port is servicing ships of this size=
http://suncoastnews.com/storyimage/S...-305039983.jpg..
That's a pretty good size, thanks for posting.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,765,428 times
I am surprised so many people even consider spending billions of dollars for this and were against public transit aka speed rail project....

Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsharkJB View Post
No you must be recalling when he asked the board for Disability lawyer reccomendations so he could sue to get benefits. I guess that didn't work out.
No, it was to understand my best options.....because at the time we did not know if it was from some sort of injury or a disease. We since found out it was from a disease. Again, don't assume based on your dislike for me. But hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself to poke fun at someone when they are down, have at it. I am not your judge, but someone is.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I am surprised so many people even consider spending billions of dollars for this and were against public transit aka speed rail project....
Because one is a money maker and one is a money waster.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 AM

790 posts, read 1,259,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Because people actually ride on cruise ships, why the hell would you build a rail system in a place where EVERYONE drives cars? Why would anyone give up the comfort and awesomeness of driving to be stuffed into a public rail car with idiots coughing all over them and acting crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay