U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 980 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are looking to relocate and having trouble choosing an area as we loved a few. We are looking into St. Pete, Largo, Clear Water, & Tampa.

A little about us. My husband and I aren't into the "nightlife" or bars. We do love beaches, nature trails, hiking, any kind of sports/sporting events, festivals, farmer's markets, ect. We have a son who has some extra needs so good schools will be very important. I'm not into long commutes, and we love to bike/walk where we can.

We are looking for a safe area, close to what we need and with availability to jobs & lower rent costs.

Also how long would a commute usually run from St. Pete into Tampa?

Thanks for reading & any possible help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 AM

493 posts, read 676,682 times
Disclaimer: I've only been in the Tampa Bay area for 6 months, though I did a reasonable amount of research prior to that.

For most of your requirements, I could recommend the Seminole area (near Largo but closer to the beaches). It's quiet, supposedly has some of the best schools in the area (can't vouch for that as I have no kids), rent seems reasonable, close to the beaches, has the Pinellas Trail for biking and walking, a couple big parks for outdoorsy stuff (with dogs if desired), and has a couple rec centers for things like working out, tennis, basketball, soccer, a pool, etc.. The community holds a festival or 2, and it's convenient to the various activities (pretty much weekly) at the different beach communities. Downtown St. Pete is about 25 minutes for Rays games, more festivals, etc. I haven't found a good farmers market yet, but there's some good produce stores, especially VGP, and I'm sure there's something close by. There's also a minor league baseball team about 15-20 minutes away.

Where it falls short: proximity to pro sports (Rays are 25 minutes, Bucs and Lightning are closer to 40), proximity to the major job areas.

You need to figure out where you'll be working first. That will have a big impact on where you live and on your lifestyle. Basically, you don't want to have to cross the bay during rush hour. That alone will probably add 15 minutes each way to your commute, which you already stated you don't like.

If you work in Tampa, you'll probably want to live on that side of the bay. This will give you more access to the major pro sports teams and some of the bigger festivals and concerts, but less access to the beaches, and I believe the outdoorsy hiking/biking feel. At least that's my impression. St. Pete / Largo / Clearwater provides easy beach access and more of a lower-key outdoorsy feel, but less in the big city amenities, like the pro sports, big job centers, etc.

If you really want to try and combine all of the above, then I think the Northeast St. Pete region might work well for you. The problems are that you'll be 20 minutes from most things (whether that be the sports and jobs in downtown Tampa or the beaches on the west coast), rather than 10 from some and 30-40 from others; and that it will cost a little more. I'm assuming the Tampa side of things has somewhere similar, but I don't know.

I work from home and like the lower-key lifestyle involving beaches, and the outdoors, so I ended up choosing the St. Pete side of things, specifically Seminole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay