U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 07:09 AM

464 posts, read 456,797 times

Advertisements

Our display is blank this AM and the sprinkler system did not come on as scheduled.

We inherited this system with house purchase and never owned one before.

It's hard-wired into house electric and pumps water from an inground well.

Who should we call???

We're in Gulfport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 10:11 AM

2,620 posts, read 3,894,706 times
I don't know who you should call in Gulf Port but I would like to throw my $0.02 that may save you some bucks ($$) before you are talking to the repair guy. I passed this in my home sometime ago.

First check if it is just the fuse that blew out. This will save you some $200 or so buying the controller that the technician would probably tell you to buy. You can check this by simply going closely and smelling and then opening the apparatus. Easy to check. If it is the fuse that blew out, then you can just buy the fuse (department store: make sure you have the correct size) and replace. After you put the fuse, if it blows again, you have some kind of short in the system--that a technician need to figure it out where it is. If with the new fuse the display can't come up or the fuse doesn't blow, your controller is gone and that costs more about $200 depending on the type you have. This happen if the previous owner had a short and just bypass the short using a higher fuse , defeating the whole idea of using a fuse in the first place, which I found to be what happened in my case. Also, if you know for sure that the controller is out, it is cheaper to buy it yourself as in Amazon as the technician will mark up the price by about $50 or so. No hurry, we are in rain season, your grass is not going to die, which was not my case and I could have saved a bunch if I knew what I now know. Get your information before calling the technician.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 AM

464 posts, read 456,797 times
This is a newer outdoor model and does not have a fuse (per Rainbird manual and per googling). Husband ran other troubleshooting suggestions.....no luck. We called two companies and each said, next week. Husband went to supply house and purchased new unit.

PS: We haven't had rain in Gulfport since the 4th of July. I don't give a fig about the lawn, but much of the system irrigates/waters landscaping plants, flower gardens.

Cost of unit was $230. Hopefully it's the right fix. Wouldn't you know it: there's thunder in the area right now (but no rain). He'll work on it after the thunder is gone.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,558,970 times
Easy fix.

Buy another and wire it up as you remove the existing unit. They aren't overly complicated and if you shut power off while wiring up, it is nearly foolproof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay