U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 12:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 11,416,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Im sure YOU would shoot someone that threw popcorn and possibly a cellphone at you and think it was 100% ok, but 99% of people in this world who are not INSANE wouldnt. Its obvious the guy has some issues and unfrotunately he took it out on some poor bastard. Hopefully the jury makes the right call and locks him up for the rest of his old miserable life.
Actually Jimbo, it would take less. If I were being assaulted by someone who was being aggressive and then comes at me in an agitated state, I would drop him without hesitation. I just have this thing about not getting injured, maimed or incapacitated for the rest of my life.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
OK maybe he threw a cell phone although i dont see this in the video,but lets say he did throw a cell phone is this grounds for a death sentence?
It is grounds to take defensive action. Reeves had a distinct and clear need to avoid further harm.
He was only exercising a given right. The right to protect yourself.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 PM

8,569 posts, read 7,315,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
OK maybe he threw a cell phone although i dont see this in the video,but lets say he did throw a cell phone is this grounds for a death sentence?
The jury will decide that after reviewing the evidence. It may or may not have been a cell phone. All he has to do is prove "he thought" he was in danger and "if" the jury feels the same way, then he could be found not guilty.

Remember, he did not have the advantage of looking at videotape to decide to shoot or not. He made a split second decision, based on what was happening very quickly. Legal or illegal is not the same thing as right or wrong. Monday morning quarterbacking is easy for internet lurkers.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Trust me...It will happen. Mark my words..
So you are OK with first degree murder but you are not OK with someone protecting themselves from bodily harm and injury?

OK.....

Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
My whole take on this is that the shot was fired 2 seconds after the popcorn was thrown. That tells me that Reeves came into that theatre after making his complaint...ready to fire and waiting on the opportunity to do so, if it presented itself. It was pre-meditated and thought through by Reeves.

I want responsible gunowners walking around me, as I am...not cowboys thinking they are above the law waiting to pull from the hip and fire once their feelings are hurt.
Ok, let someone assault you in a dark place and tell me how happy you were to experience it.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Im sure YOU would shoot someone that threw popcorn and possibly a cellphone at you and think it was 100% ok, but 99% of people in this world who are not INSANE wouldnt. Its obvious the guy has some issues and unfrotunately he took it out on some poor bastard. Hopefully the jury makes the right call and locks him up for the rest of his old miserable life.
Tell me something... what would you have done if you were in Reeves' shoes at that moment??

Surely I will grow old before I get an answer from you.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I you were assaulting me and I knew you were younger and bigger than me, yes, I'd blow you right out of your shorts. What am I going to do? Let you kill me?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:13 PM

741 posts, read 597,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You werent the person under attack. Reeves options were limited. Allow the attack to continue which could have lead to his death or at least great bodily harm from this extremely agitated attacker or neutralize the attacker. Its not a tough question.

Please get beyond the popcorn. There was more to it and you are consistently disregarding that fact.
Popcorn and a cel phone.
Get beyond the idea that popcorn and a cel phone constitutes an 'escalation' to deadly force. You're clinging to completely trivial semantics as if they're relevant.

This is why the fringe gun rights types (ie- open carriers of AR15s into IHOP, people who think that throwing something at someone is a valid escalation to deadly force) basically just wind up marginalizing themselves due to their own self-unawareness of how their opinions play to the less fringe public.

Here's another one:
Ex-Flagler Beach Cop Juratovac Sentenced to 4 Years in Prison in Attempted Murder of Flagler Firefighter | FlaglerLive

Ex cop, road range incident, the guy threw a water bottle at his car. They pull over to the side, the guy gets out of his car unarmed, yelling, little-big man shoots him and then tries to play the "I WAS JUST DEFENDING MAH FAMILY!"

Quote:
Yes, I am familiar with the Cumia incident. What happened is unknown. He allegedly allowed an assault on himself without even drawing his weapon to cease further assault? He did not file a police report? The incident happened in Times Square. No witnesses have come forward. Times Square is loaded with video security cameras. No video of this? In NYC when anything happens people immediately break out their cell phones to record it. Nobody has come forward with a video on the incident. Cumia stated that he was carrying a gun but felt no need to escalate the situation for he did not feel he was in imminent danger.

Quite a few things there dont add up.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Actually Jimbo, it would take less. If I were being assaulted by someone who was being aggressive and then comes at me in an agitated state, I would drop him without hesitation. I just have this thing about not getting injured, maimed or incapacitated for the rest of my life.
And you, like Dunn, Juratovac and soon to be Reeves, would go to a place where you would be surrounded by even younger and meaner men, assaulted on a regular basis but there, you'd have no gun to use to defend your 'honor'

Old 07-15-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
How many of these incidents can you tell me about? How often does this happen? What causes such a situation? You're referring to incidents that are very rare. On the other hand, how many people have been killed by the "knock out game"??
Equating this to the 'knockout game' shows just how totally delusional you are and willing to say anything and everything to gin up hysterics that hopefully might persuade rational people that this immensely irrational action was warranted.

His lawyer will be doing much the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay