Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 01:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

A few questions i have are why in a virtually empty theater Reeves chose to sit directly behind Oulsen.?
The video clearly shows house lights were still on so why was the cellphone a problem for Reeves as many people text in the prelims of a movie and have the phone in their laps where its kinda hard for other patrons to see,also texting is a silent mode of communication.
Another issue was what tone of voice did Reeves use to ask Oulsen to turn off his cell phone? was it courteous and polite or was it a rude obnoxious demand?.
A possibility that comes to mind is did Reeves go to that movie with his gun with the intent to provoke some one into a situation where he felt threatened and thereby get to use his gun?
Personally if i were in Oulsons position i would have given Reeves a F--k Yo- and moved to another seat after being told to turn off my cell phone..
I

Old 07-16-2014, 01:53 AM

741 posts, read 915,185 times
I doubt that Reeves went to the theater with the intention to shoot anyone.
This is more a case of the "Armed Tough Guy" who is emboldened to behave a certain way when he has a gun than he would be he doesn't. He believes the Spring Hillian narrative that as long as you say the words "I FELT IN FEAR OF MY LIFE!", you're justified to kill anyone who 'crosses you' in any way so YOU PUT THAT CEL PHONE AWAY RIGHT NOW!

The recent case law debunks this but fringe believers tend to not be very good at keeping in touch with reality. They much prefer mantras.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:41 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I think we all can agree on one thing...this entire incident could have been avoided and should not happen again.

A gun can kill people and should be handled with care but if I see what happens in other areas in the country and I have seen it in Europe as well where it is in the newspapers almost daily is that when people speak up about something that shouldn't be done the other side instead of saying sorry they will become bullies.

Either with words or with violence since we have seen so many young people who beat young and elderly people for no reason and often it has ended in the victim ending up in coma as we had multiple cases in Holland.

Just for the fun they beat someone up or if the victim is speaking up about something they shouldn't do the person speaking up for the right thing ends up beaten up badly.

Therefore and for other reasons like what happened in WWII I'm in favor of guns. When the government is the only party with guns than things like with Hitler can happen again. My grand parents walked like lame ducks into the gas chamber since they had nothing to defend themselves...they tried bribery by paying of the nazis but all it did was losing their money and still end up as a number and name on a wall of a memorial.

In Florida we have this gun law like other States have and the gun crimes and death are way less than in some States where only criminals have guns.

In this case a trial will determine who was right and who was wrong and if Reeves after turning71 years with no prions ended up "overacting for no reason" than he will end up in prison for a long time and perhaps forever but if it is determined that Oulsen was partly wrong than Reeves sentence will be lower and if Oulsen was just as wrong than Reeves may only end up with time served for bringing the gun into the movie theater.

In my opinion we can all have our own opinion and even in our own household we don't all agree on this subject but we have a healthy discussion about it and agree to disagree and even though we are all pro guns in our household we all agree this shouldn't have happened.

Who sat where first will probably come out in court. I know from experience that the few times we go to the movies we go early to find nice seats and hate it when at the last minute in an almost empty movie theater someone walks in and sits right in front of me and than starts eating all kinds if stuff that makes noise and go and use their phone lighting up the area. Especially when you sit so nice it is something that is really annoying and when you have put your stuff down and sit comfortable and the movie or trailers we started you don't always want to get up and move again.

It is disrespectful from the people who walk in at the last minute and something amongst other things why we don't go that often to the movies.

On the road it is the same ...we all make errors and can cut someone off and not doing it on purpose and put your hand up to show your sorry...that is different than the notorious offenders who cut one after another off to skip one car and than sit on the next person bumper.

But to get so upset is scary and with the knowledge that in Florida people can carry guns, people should not gamble and rather walk away than engage in a verbal fight since we don't know if the other party is a UFC type of fighter, has a knife or gun and when will they loose it and use it....

In some cases the bullies meet the wrong people...I'm not sure if that happened this time but clearly it has been proven that Reeves loves to go to the movies and like to enjoy the movies without the item that is not allowed and that is not wrong at all. If Reeves has been texting himself after the message came up on the screen than his defense is out the window. I do hate to see this case which has so many things we are not sure about to have more people fighting like it is their last fight.

Like others I do hope it will be on TV so we can see it and follow it since it happened so close to home.....the jury is already damned if they find him guilty or not guilty from reading all the posts so good luck to any jury member and the locals will see their faces if they attend the trial which worries me for them.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:11 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
We're not talking about the autopsy or sheriff, don't deflect. We're talking about you and you said popcorn first, possible thrown cell phone next. That's not that way it happened.
The Tampa Tribune reported on July 16, 2014

"Chad Oulson threw popcorn at Reeves. Moments later, Reeves pulled a .380-caliber semiautomatic pistol from his pants pocket and fired one shot into Chad Oulson’s chest. The same bullet pierced the Nicole Oulson;’s hand as she raised it to her husband’s chest.

The video shows the small flash of an object moving towards Reeves. His attorneys claimed that it was the glow from a cell phone Oulson threw before the shot was fired.

The Raw Story reported on 2/7/14

Reeves told detectives in the interview videos that he believes Oulson threw two objects at him, a bag of popcorn and a cell phone.

The F. Leatherman Law Blog - 7/1/14

"At his preliminary hearing, his attorneys unsuccessfully argued that Reeves believed his life was in imminent danger when Oulson threw popcorn in his face and threw his cell phone at him striking him in the face."

A statement given by Reeves in a police cruiser in the aftermath of the shooting was also released, reports ABC Action News.

"Suddenly, he jumps up and he turns around and he stands in his seat," Reeves is said to have told investigators.

"He kept on hollering and I'm not sure what he said to be honest with you. He said something that led me to believe he was going to kick my ass, and I don't know if that's exactly how he phrased it or not," he told a Pasco County sheriff's detective.

So show me a different report on the chain of events. Regardless of which came first, the fact is that:

Oulsen was texting

Reeves asked him to stop

Oulsen argued against Reeves request and continued to text

Reeves went to get a manager

Reeves returned to his seat

Oulsen got up, faced Reeves and began arguing again

Oulsen grabs Reeves' pop corn and throws it at him

Oulsen throws his cell phone at Reeves

Reeves pull out a gun and shots Oulson

No where was Reeves the aggressor. It is all on Oulsen. If he was the decent person who he is purported to be he would have either stopped texting or gone out to the lobby to continue his
texting. He did neither. Instead he choose to argue and get physical with Reeves.
Being a jerk got him killed.

That is all I have to say about it.

And yes, I believe I have the right to neutralize an physical attack upon my person. I am not going to be assaulted twice and sit there waiting for the aggressors next step. Anyone who would sit there after being assaulted twice by an angry young man is a moron who has no respect for himself or his well being.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:12 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,582 times
Pretty sure he is going to get life...BUT like Dudley they will release him on "appeals" and it will be years before he sees any real time.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Pretty sure he is going to get life...BUT like Dudley they will release him on "appeals" and it will be years before he sees any real time.
If it plays out that way he will die of old age before any sentence is imposed.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:19 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If it plays out that way he will die of old age before any sentence is imposed.
IMO, I think the jury wont buy the popcorn and cellphone argument as grounds to SYG.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
IMO, I think the jury wont buy the popcorn and cellphone argument as grounds to SYG.
He's not claiming SYG.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
All this back and forth debate is dizzying! I read a couple of pages of these posts, and have somewhat followed the news on this story. From what I gather, the issue is whether or not Reeves was being attacked enough to justify shooting Oulsen.

Is this correct?

Old 07-16-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
All this back and forth debate is dizzying! I read a couple of pages of these posts, and have somewhat followed the news on this story. From what I gather, the issue is whether or not Reeves was being attacked enough to justify shooting Oulsen.

Is this correct?
To sum it up, yes. The question will be was deadly force was justified.

My position, and that of defense, is that it was justified because of 3 aggravated assaults upon a senior citizen. The yelling, the popcorn grab/throw and the cell phone throw. To top that off Oulson raised is arm apparently to strike Reeves directly. Reeves literally beat Oulsen to the punch as Reeves wanting to avoid further bodily injury shot his assailant in the chest, killing him.

It is interesting to know that some people feel that Reeves should have taken a beating instead of rightfully defending himself. I also find it interesting that no one responded to my question "what would you have done if you where in Reeves' shoes?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay