U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 PM

8,569 posts, read 7,318,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I feel like this statement says the most about your flawed assessment of this situation than anything you've said previous to now. You made your decision about this guy based on your dogma long before you had any actual facts on which to base that opinion. P!$$ poor judgement, sir. Absolutely p!$$ poor.
It's no more than everyone else is doing on the other side here.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,363,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I can assure you, anyone who has had to kill in self defense regrets it.
I promise you that is not true. If someone comes into my house and threatens my family, I will stand behind the decision to neutralize that threat till the day I die and not feel one ounce of regret. It's them or my family.

Shooting a man in the chest because he yelled at me and threw a bag of popcorn at me? Not going to live that one down as fast.

Curtis Reeves will, justifiably, spend the rest of his life in prison for this. Mark my words.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,363,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
It's no more than everyone else is doing on the other side here.
No one had seen the video and heard his regretful testimony 30 minutes afterward. You're both trying desperately to goad us into a flame war about personal self defense, ignoring gross negligence in this case. Irresponsible at best.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 PM

6,232 posts, read 5,781,079 times
Quote:
I promise you that is not true. If someone comes into my house and threatens my family, I will stand behind the decision to neutralize that threat till the day I die and not feel one ounce of regret. It's them or my family.

Shooting a man in the chest because he yelled at me and threw a bag of popcorn at me? Not going to live that one down as fast.

Curtis Reeves will, justifiably, spend the rest of his life in prison for this. Mark my words.
I would feel your same confidence...if this wasn't in Florida...

Old 07-25-2014, 07:08 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,318,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Yep.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 PM

741 posts, read 598,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
There's always the chance of a moron jury, you have to realize that this case pretty much has everyone in agreement except internet gun forum self-defense-hysteria fetishists.

Zimmerman was tricky, he was overcharged per the law and he was being beaten. I can understand why people were hostile to that situation since Zimmerman was such a gigantic turd and a classic example of 'Little Man, Big Gun' with a case of Carry Permit Bravery but it all added up to a justified acquittal. Terrible situation, terrible human being, justified acquittal.

Basically everyone is on board that Reeves is a murderer save for the furthest fringe kooks who believe deadly force is an appropriate response to being 'disrespected', just like a gangbanger. We see them here in this thread, we see how weak their case is, his best shot here is that he hangs a jury or two and drags out the process long enough to die a natural death since he's 71.

He's not getting acquitted. You could draw a jury from an NRA convention that wouldn't let him off.
He will be convicted on the facts alone, which speak for themselves.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,069,235 times
I hate to say it but it wouldn't surprise if he got off on some extraordinary feat of lawyering magic. I would love to see him stood up and receive 25 years but if for some strange reason he doesn't I'd love to see our Capitol steps in Tally filled with people trying to change law and put a stop to the nonsense. Perhaps change it to where you have to take a swat or two, or a 'real' deadly weapon has to be displayed, or a 'real' clear concise verbal threat occurred before deadly force can be used. The law needs to address this nonsense about 'let me an obnoxious a$$ and push buttons and provoke and pull the coward card at the last second'. It needs to change.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 PM

8,569 posts, read 7,318,746 times
Quote:
You're both trying desperately to goad us into a flame war about personal self defense, ignoring gross negligence in this case. Irresponsible at best.
Nope. My only stance is that the man is innocent until proven guilty. If he is found guilty based on the evidence, I will be fine with that. I just can't stand when people judge someone else as guilty, when they have not seen all that the defense will present.

Reminds me of how people acted about Zimmerman. Check the threads.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Reminds me of how people acted about Zimmerman. Check the threads.
Video seriously changes the ability to prejudge a case.
There was no video in Zimmerman.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
The law needs to address this nonsense about 'let me an obnoxious a$$ and push buttons and provoke and pull the coward card at the last second'. It needs to change.
It already does exactly that in inoluntary manslaughter statutes.
The problem in Zimmerman was he was grossly overcharged.

Here's an overview:
Florida Involuntary Manslaughter Laws - FindLaw

Quote:
Florida state laws also establish involuntary manslaughter if the prosecutor shows that the defendant used excessive force during self-defense or the defense of another person. The prosecution and defense can look at the facts and circumstances of the killing to determine whether the defendant reasonably believed that self-defense was necessary; if not necessary, the state might proceed with an involuntary manslaughter charge.
This isn't the first time in Florida history an "armed tough guy" provoked someone who wouldn't take his ****, received some sort of relatively benign rebuff (throwing popcorn, getting shoved, a menacing gesture, whatever) shot him and then tried to claim self defense. Historically, that's a textbook involuntary manslaughter if the actions of the victim were credibly menacing but the situation resulted from the defendants provocation.

Reeves doesn't have a credible 'reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm' self defense case per the tape so he's in murder'ville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay