U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-26-2014, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,416,367 times
Reputation: 5981

Advertisements

You say that now, but the event will live with you every day. Day in an day out. Talk to a combat veteran who has had a close quarters event with an enemy. You're looking him in the eye, you pull the trigger and his head explodes. Something you just wont forget and will regret.

i dont see why you only see a part of the event. Oulson was acting like a maniac. There were certainly two times where he did or attempted to strike Reeves. Reeves was not waiting for the 3rd strike.
Sure Reeves regrets it, however, that is the way it goes in close quarters situations where you fear for your well being. You stop the attack.

Maybe you would have reacted differently. I know I would have. I would have grabbed him by the throat with one hand and punched his lights out with the other. However, I am not 71.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I promise you that is not true. If someone comes into my house and threatens my family, I will stand behind the decision to neutralize that threat till the day I die and not feel one ounce of regret. It's them or my family.

Shooting a man in the chest because he yelled at me and threw a bag of popcorn at me? Not going to live that one down as fast.

Curtis Reeves will, justifiably, spend the rest of his life in prison for this. Mark my words.

 
Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,416,367 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
No one had seen the video and heard his regretful testimony 30 minutes afterward. You're both trying desperately to goad us into a flame war about personal self defense, ignoring gross negligence in this case. Irresponsible at best.
You are participating in a discussion but you comprehend a 'flame war'. I heard what happened.
Young guy assaults old guy. There wasnt much more I needed to know. You and others have your opinion which is biased for a number of reasons. I have my opinion for a number of reasons. You folks just keep pulling rabbits out of a hat to try to reinforce your position. That is not irresponsible, it is idiotic.
 
Old 07-26-2014, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,416,367 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Nope. My only stance is that the man is innocent until proven guilty. If he is found guilty based on the evidence, I will be fine with that. I just can't stand when people judge someone else as guilty, when they have not seen all that the defense will present.

Reminds me of how people acted about Zimmerman. Check the threads.
They are acting on the earliest reports. The fact that he was texting to his kid. Can a 3 year old really text? They heard the family man angle. The nice guy stories. So, they made Reeves an evil monster.
They take no regard for the well being of Reeves and his God given right to defend himself. Reeves was not in the position to react with physical means. However, he was legally carrying a weapon and he legally used that weapon to stop further attack upon his person.

Yes, everyone was dancing the Trayvon tune until it was proven that Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman when he got shot in the chest.

People need to realize that you just cant launch an attack on someone and not suffer the consequences.
 
Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,416,367 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
I hate to say it but it wouldn't surprise if he got off on some extraordinary feat of lawyering magic. I would love to see him stood up and receive 25 years but if for some strange reason he doesn't I'd love to see our Capitol steps in Tally filled with people trying to change law and put a stop to the nonsense. Perhaps change it to where you have to take a swat or two, or a 'real' deadly weapon has to be displayed, or a 'real' clear concise verbal threat occurred before deadly force can be used. The law needs to address this nonsense about 'let me an obnoxious a$$ and push buttons and provoke and pull the coward card at the last second'. It needs to change.
If you are willing to "take a swat or two" you are willing to give up your life for the benefit of your attacker.
Oulson should have kept this hands to himself. He would not have gotten killed if he acted in a civil manner instead of loosing his cool over the minor incident and physically assaulting someone. He thought it was big him against a frail old man. Surprise!
 
Old 07-26-2014, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,416,367 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I would feel your same confidence...if this wasn't in Florida...
It has nothing to do with "florida". The right to defense is not only human law, it is internationally respected.
 
Old 07-26-2014, 08:21 AM
 
741 posts, read 597,877 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you are willing to "take a swat or two" you are willing to give up your life for the benefit of your attacker.
No, it's someone who understands what 'reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm' actually is, as opposed to a kook who characterizes everything in the most absurdly hysterical context and believes that "disrespect" or YOU BETTER NOT **** ME OFF constitutes justifiable use of deadly force.

Reeves starts barking 'orders', Oulsen grabs and throws popcorn at the idiot, Reeves fires gun and kills him.
Here's video.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Rly-Qohu4

Your narrative has no credibility whatsoever.
 
Old 07-26-2014, 02:54 PM
 
Location: tampa bay
6,232 posts, read 5,778,572 times
Reputation: 8941
I think both sides should be very careful picking a jury in this case...and it will be very difficult to expose gun bias...either pro or con by a jury member if they have an agenda...I think the prosecutors should offer a deal...this is not a slam dunk case with a Florida jury pool...if this forum is any indication...
 
Old 07-26-2014, 03:05 PM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,315,921 times
Reputation: 4887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think both sides should be very careful picking a jury in this case...and it will be very difficult to expose gun bias...either pro or con by a jury member if they have an agenda...I think the prosecutors should offer a deal...this is not a slam dunk case with a Florida jury pool...if this forum is any indication...
On this forum, 98 out of 100 were convinced Zimmerman was going to be found guilty. That is one of the problems with trying a case in the court of public forums. People decide guilt without seeing ALL the evidence, based on their own biases.

He may or may not be found guilty and it matters not to me personally. However, I do think the verdict in this case will set a standard for self defense going forward.
 
Old 07-26-2014, 03:16 PM
 
Location: tampa bay
6,232 posts, read 5,778,572 times
Reputation: 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
On this forum, 98 out of 100 were convinced Zimmerman was going to be found guilty. That is one of the problems with trying a case in the court of public forums. People decide guilt without seeing ALL the evidence, based on their own biases.

He may or may not be found guilty and it matters not to me personally. However, I do think the verdict in this case will set a standard for self defense going forward.
After the Casey Anthony trial...I have lost all faith in the Florida jury pool...I think for people like GZ and Reeves carrying a gun emboldens them...and makes them more likely to seek out confrontation...I truly believe GZ would have stayed in his damn car had he not been carrying...and Reeves would have thought twice about picking a fight with a much younger man...
 
Old 07-26-2014, 03:24 PM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,315,921 times
Reputation: 4887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
After the Casey Anthony trial...I have lost all faith in the Florida jury pool...I think for people like GZ and Reeves carrying a gun emboldens them...and makes them more likely to seek out confrontation...I truly believe GZ would have stayed in his damn car had he not been carrying...and Reeves would have thought twice about picking a fight with a much younger man...
I actually have faith in the Florida jury pool after the recent verdicts, as their job is to decide the verdict based on the evidence presented, the charge presented and the instructions given by the judge. It is not to decide just because one feels they are guilty or not of something. There are strict rules to go by and jurors doing their job properly can be handcuffed by the way the defendant is charged. Sometimes the prosecution reaches too high and should charge at a lower rung on the ladder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top