U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 PM

7,357 posts, read 9,174,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Again that is still no reason to die but keep in mind that some people can be huge bullies and they can run out of luck if they meet someone who either isn't afraid and speaks up or does something back.

Guy brought fists to a gun fight.......oops.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,361,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What Oulsen deserved or didnt deserve is not the question. The question is whether or not Reeves had fear of his life or well being. If he did he was within his rights to use deadly force.
This is fundamentally incorrect. Whether someone "feels" that their life is being threatened is not the litmus test. It's whether a reasonable person would feel that way in that situation. It is irrational to think that deadly force is an appropriate response to throwing popcorn. That is inarguable, and it's why this guy is locked up right now.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 PM

3,462 posts, read 3,440,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
This is fundamentally incorrect. Whether someone "feels" that their life is being threatened is not the litmus test. It's whether a reasonable person would feel that way in that situation. It is irrational to think that deadly force is an appropriate response to throwing popcorn. That is inarguable, and it's why this guy is locked up right now.
I thought he was just released.

Glad I live in Hillsborough, I sure wouldn't want to serve on that jury.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 PM

64 posts, read 83,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe he was easier irritated than someone else but there is a message that gets repeated several times to stop using cell phones. That message isn't there for no reason and only there because people must have complaint about it.

Not everyone has the sound off when they txt and the typing can make sound and the light on the cell phone screen lights up.

If Oulsen needed to txt he could have walked out but why did he need to txt his daughter on a night out that he hardly ever had according to statements made by his wife while there was a nanny...?

Reeves didn't leave the theater to text his son, so why did he expect everyone else to?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Yes the trial will be interesting...hopefully it won't be the $#!t shows Anthony and Zimmerman were...I just find it unbelievable people feel the need to carry a gun to a movie theater...but that's for another forum...
Especially a theater that forbids it. I guess Reeves didn't think the signs posted applied to him.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:48 PM

741 posts, read 597,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What Oulsen deserved or didnt deserve is not the question. The question is whether or not Reeves had fear of his life or well being. If he did he was within his rights to use deadly force.

I dont think anyone should get shot and killed over an argument, but once it gets physical, that is another story. This was a situation between and old man and a young man. Young man thought he could bully old man. Reeves stopped an attack on himself. What is wrong with that?

Should we all just let whomever attack us without response?
It boils down to what a jury believes is credible or not.

In the Zimmerman case, self-defense was credible. He was being beaten.
In the Dunn case, self-defense was not credible. There was no evidence the threat rose to the level of opening fire on them.

My personal opinion (shared by most everyone who isn't a dues paid annual member on any given firearms forum) is that what occurred in this situation didn't even remotely rise to the level of what warrants a deadly response. See, that's the critical error the pro 'shoot 'em all' types make when they say that the threshold for justifiable homicide is whether or not one fears for their life.

The threshold for justifiable homicide is whether or not a jury of your peers believes that your actions were based in something credible.

As we saw with Dunn, simply saying "I FELT IN FEAR FOR MY LIFE" and then making up some menacing narrative isn't enough to keep you out of prison. No, we shouldn't let anyone attack us without a response, but I'm getting a bit sick and tired of little men of great delusions and paranoias thinking that a reasonable 'response' to any altercation is GET OUT MY TRUSTY BOOGNER MODIFIED GLOCK 26 WITH NIGHT SIGHTS, EXTENDED MAG RELEASE AND 115 GRAIN JHP'S AND SHOW 'EM STOP RESISTING!

He deserves bond based on his background but as far as how this case turns out, a sage bit of advice for Mr. Reeves:

Old 07-13-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
My personal opinion (shared by most everyone who isn't a dues paid annual member on any given firearms forum) is that what occurred in this situation didn't even remotely rise to the level of what warrants a deadly response.
His own wife stated he didn't need to shoot the man. She was there, she would definitely be the one to know.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 11,408,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
My bet is that the miserable old guy kills himself before the trial or atleast before the verdict is read. Being an ex-cop, he surely won't want to live his last days in jail/prison.
What makes you think he is or was miserable?

Old 07-14-2014, 12:40 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,067,854 times
Unlike the Dunn and Zimmerman cases, Reeves has a 2nd victim...Nicole. He can't claim self defense on her, she was doing nothing to make him fearful. Given Reeves age anything over a few years is probably a death sentence and that Aggravated Battery charge is probably worth 10 or 15 years. He's definitely dug himself a major hole.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:18 PM

3,462 posts, read 3,440,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
Unlike the Dunn and Zimmerman cases, Reeves has a 2nd victim...Nicole. He can't claim self defense on her, she was doing nothing to make him fearful. Given Reeves age anything over a few years is probably a death sentence and that Aggravated Battery charge is probably worth 10 or 15 years. He's definitely dug himself a major hole.
You never know what a jury will do, though. Some might feel intimidated by the police. That's why I wouldn't want to be on this jury. Vote to convict and you could be marked by the local constabulary for future harrassment. It's not a position I'd want to be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay