Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:39 PM

696 posts, read 905,092 times

Advertisements

During a hurricane do you get tap water or does it shut off? And if it shuts off how long is it usually off for? Also do you ever have sewage water come out from the tap during a hurricane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:24 AM

819 posts, read 1,409,089 times
Water service is no different than any other utility; it will be provided for as long as possible and if some type of damage occurs that causes service to be interrupted, you are without service until whatever was damaged can be repaired. The more common issue during a natural disaster is boil orders.

Potable water is not served from sewage lines so it's impossible to have sewage come out of the tap if you have public water service. If your neighborhood were to be flooded, then it's possible for sewage to back up into a house via the sewer lines.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Water at some point in its travels to your tap is going to require electricity for the pumps Hurricanes have an annoying habit of shutting down electricity.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:49 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
You may lose water service temporarily during a hurricane due to power outages but most smart water authorities have taken advantage of grant funding from FEMA and Homeland Security to purchase generators (big ones) for their water and sewer systems.

It's more likely you'll have sewer problems than water, though. Flooding overwhelms the sewage collection systems and pretty much shuts them down. That's why you really shouldn't walk around in flood waters if you can avoid it. You don't know what kind of interesting bugs are in it, not to mention that hydraulic pressure blows the manhole covers off the system and you can step into the opening. That is not a good thing to have happen.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:49 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
We never get canes so who knows.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:30 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
For the sake of having water during an event that it could be shut off ,I took rejected water heater tanks repaired them and made them part of my reserve water .
To keep it fresh , I use a check valve to be sure it can't be syphoned out on the city side ,water is plumbed to them in series and than run to the washing machine, so that each time the washing machine is used the water is being exchanged.
With a valve I can shut of the water to the city, and reroute the tanks to the house plumbing, and with a small engine driven air compressor pressurize the rig and the house has water again as usual .
I have 2 cistern tanks , one feeds the chickens, and the other is for fire fighting if necessary, with water pump and all .
Other water stored in the house is in smaller containers that can be carried out if necessary .
Not that water has ever in the past has ever been shut off to that the power has been shut off in this particular area , that fact is it's more possible now than before with economic decline, and amongst other things, the current drought .

Old 07-13-2014, 06:38 AM

282 posts, read 382,220 times
Remember, in most areas public water is stored in towers that gravity feed the drinking water system. So they don' t need electricity to have pressure until the water in the tower is depleted. Then pumps are needed to fill the tower. That being said, if the power grid is down for a week then the public back up generators will be needed to run the pumps.

So, tap water is usually available. Under prolonged power outages, the water purification plant may not be functioning so even with back up pumps to fill the tower(s), a boil water order can happen.

I do like having my own well. As long as I can fuel my back up genertor, I can have drinking water. But everyone should have some bottled water on hand.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:42 AM

282 posts, read 382,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
For the sake of having water during an event that it could be shut off ,I took rejected water heater tanks repaired them and made them part of my reserve water ..
I have 2 cistern tanks , one feeds the chickens, and the other is for fire fighting if necessary, with water pump and all .
Other water stored in the house is in smaller containers that can be carried out if necessary .
You have an amazing water prepardness system(s).

Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
or just fill your bathtub with water when you see one is coming.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,005 times
You will have warning so if you decide not to evacuate you have a little time to prepare. Always have a large supply of bottled water on hand ahead of time because if you want to buy some because of a coming storm, everyone will want to buy some. The shelves will be empty.

Fill up your bathtubs and sinks in preparation. We also have something similar to these to fill up in preparation. Amazon.com : Collapsible Water Container 2.5 Gallons : Camping Water Storage : Sports & Outdoors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay