Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 AM

14 posts, read 15,397 times

Advertisements

Good Morning All,

I am a US Army Veteran living in the Washington, D.C. Area. I have had enough of the Rat Race in DC. I am looking to relocate to the Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater Area. I currently work in the Cybersecurity field. The Cost of Living in DC is A Lot more than the Tampa/Gulf Coast Area. Honestly I have no Idea on what the Salaries are there. Could anyone give me an idea or some Solid Resources to find the answer I am looking for. I am starting to contact recruiters and I don't want to get underpaid nor do I want to ask for too much and get taken out of the running for a position.

Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

TToTheB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
As someone in the government side of this profession I can tell you that salaries in Tampa are going to be lower than in DC and surrounding areas. How much really depends on who you work for and what you do.

There are a lot of contract positions here due to the presence of MacDill AFB and SOCOM. That being said, a lot of things are being cut, and I already know a couple of people whose contracts are not being renewed.

A lot is determined by your clearances as well. If you're current with them you will have a pretty good number of opportunities, I suspect, mainly with contracting firms.

I can't speak for contractors, but in government a security analyst will probably range from $60k-$85k depending on the agency and job classification.

RM

Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
The IT security guys where I work make in the $12-$15/hr. range.

Not sure what you're used too.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post

Wow! That's pretty awful.

I assume we're talking about IT professionals with bachelor's degrees and industry certifications, such as CISSP or at least Security+?

I hope not, or someone is working waaayyy below their value.....

That is not indicative of the normal corporate or defense industry pay in the area. I know a number of security people in both of these areas and they're doing far better than $12-$15/hour.

For that matter, everyone I know in the business is salaried.

RM

Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Wow! That's pretty awful.

I assume we're talking about IT professionals with bachelor's degrees and industry certifications, such as CISSP or at least Security+?

I hope not, or someone is working waaayyy below their value.....

That is not indicative of the normal corporate or defense industry pay in the area. I know a number of security people in both of these areas and they're doing far better than $12-$15/hour.

For that matter, everyone I know in the business is salaried.

RM
Other than a uniformed Security Guard standing in fornt of a building, lol, I know of nobody paying for IT professional $12 to $15/hour.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Other than a uniformed Security Guard standing in fornt of a building, lol, I know of nobody paying for IT professional $12 to $15/hour.
Exactly. I'm wondering if there is some confusion there....

RM

Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post

stpeteguy that sounds off or those guys are getting raked over the coals. The cost of living is way cheaper than the DC are but at the pay it wouldn't be worth it. I currently make over 6 figures. I know I probably wouldn't make that in Tampa but just trying to get as close as possible. The pay info as with most places is a pretty tightly guarded secret.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
As someone in the government side of this profession I can tell you that salaries in Tampa are going to be lower than in DC and surrounding areas. How much really depends on who you work for and what you do.

There are a lot of contract positions here due to the presence of MacDill AFB and SOCOM. That being said, a lot of things are being cut, and I already know a couple of people whose contracts are not being renewed.

A lot is determined by your clearances as well. If you're current with them you will have a pretty good number of opportunities, I suspect, mainly with contracting firms.

I can't speak for contractors, but in government a security analyst will probably range from $60k-$85k depending on the agency and job classification.

RM
MortonR thanks for the info. Do you know any good sites to apply for government positions in the Tampa area?

Do you know who the major players (contracting companies) in the area are?

Old 07-15-2014, 12:14 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Obviously depends on a whole lot of factors. But I would imagine somewhere in the $80K - $110K range.

Glassdoor and Salary.com might be able to help you out a bit. Also, you can call some technical recruiters.... they'd love to hear from you.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:21 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TToTheB View Post
stpeteguy that sounds off or those guys are getting raked over the coals. The cost of living is way cheaper than the DC are but at the pay it wouldn't be worth it. I currently make over 6 figures. I know I probably wouldn't make that in Tampa but just trying to get as close as possible. The pay info as with most places is a pretty tightly guarded secret.
You're probably right. I heard the info. second hand, so something must have been wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay