Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 03:51 PM

8 posts, read 7,292 times

Advertisements

I’m 35 male and heave some health issues need to move somewhere warm for winter season since here in Toronto it’s been brutal for me.

I have vitamin D deficiency and very weak immune system so I need to be in the sun as much as possible and in the ocean as well, plus doing GAPS diet as we speak.

Also had a spine injury need to do a lot of barefoot walking on sand and ride a bicycle as well

Things I need to find:

1) Sunny warm weather, warm enough to swim in the ocean so not far from the beach.
2) Need to sleep outside, so apartment is no good, some type of duplex or a small house or a house to share with others with a yard big enough where I can put up a big size gazebo and sleep in it
3) Access to high quality food, more important Seafood market, and produce and pastured beef within 1-2 miles from my living location (mom and pop stores that sell a little bit of everything is no good, these are usually stores that supply restaurants so if sea food they only carry seafood, if butcher shop they only meat….and have high traffic so thins don’t sit for too long, these are usually only in big cities.
4) Some type of park or long trail a small forest with a trail to ride a bicycle, basically needs to have as much vegetation verity as possible a couple of trees is not good, need as much heavy vegetation as possible for my immune system
5) Have only about $500 - $600 to spend on rent per month for 8 months, but low maintenance as far as needs from the house, stove, shower, and fridge.
6) No car, only a bicycle maybe add a cheap scooter later on if it’s legal in Florida depending where I end up.

7) Since I need to sleep outside, must be quite street, but prefer to be around young people in their mid 20's, meaning sleep on a quite street but not far from civilization

I’ve looked at Clearwater, Largo. St Petes, seems like only Clearwater is optimal for me without having a car or a motorcycle, but no big parks or forests around, unless I missed something.

Can anyone please tell me if the weather is warm enough all winter to swim in the ocean in Clearwater? How much of a difference is there between something like Clearwater and St Petes or better yet Fort Meyers when it comes to warm weather and ocean temperature during winter months?

I have not looked at anything lower then St Petes, mostly Clearwater area. Can any one tell me based on my criteria is there a sweet spot somewhere in SW or NW Florida where I can balance out all these things. I realize with my limited budget I might need to go inland, if riding a small scooter in Florida is legal that might solve many issues depending on how expensive it is to insure it per month. Prefer to cycle but not very to long distances.

I’m not into night life or clubs at all, but still like to be somewhere not far where it feels like civilization since I’m from a big city and if my health improves after three months would be nice to have an option to eat a nice steak dinner somewhere outside, since I eat 100% at home because of my GAPS diet.

As a bonus if there is a hockey rink within 5-10 miles by would be a big plus.

Cheers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:42 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,091,605 times
This is tough. I think Parrish/Palmetto area would be a great fit for most of your needs EXCEPT you don't have a car and want easy access to the seafood and fruit/veg markets. The markets are there, don't get me wrong...but it is a very rural area that requires driving. Also affordable and really quiet. $500-600 won't get you much or anything in Florida that isn't prime ghetto.

There are also parks/trails in that area, too...but again, you must drive to them. They even have a large hockey rink in the area...the 2 couples representing the USA figure skating team in the Sochi Winter Olympics train there. Beach isn't far (20-30 mins), but alas...you don't have a car, so that area may be out of the question.

However, it sounds like you need to live in a place like downtown Dunedin, downtown Safety Harbor, downtown Clearwater, etc...but honestly, you can't afford it. Those places would allow you bike access to everything you wanted. Maybe you could luck up with someone that rented a room or garage loft for $600? I dunno.

Clearwater is a very crowded place, so I am not sure if you would like that or not. Clearwater Beach gets ridiculously crowded.

A normal person can't swim in the ocean here from December-March due to water temps, but it depends...I've seen folks swim in it in January! You can, however, enjoy the beach and water year round by walking and boating...since it can still get hot in Jan or Feb at times.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,586,045 times
What? $500-$600 budget? Not going to happen here...that's too little for the bad areas of town...maybe try Louisiana, Mississippi....

Sleep outside? Not without a screen enclosure...you'd be toast with the bugs here...

Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 PM

Well I’m looking at craiglist prices and see some single rooms to share near down town Clearwater or closer to Duneden or slightly lower closer to Largo in relatively ok homes in the range of $500 $600, but I’m not sure if the pries will go up during the snow bird season.

Are there really bad areas in these towns? How busy is Duneden beach or Safety Harbor, is it just old people? As for driving, are there buses that go regularly something like once every half an hour, am I allowed to bring a bike on the bus?

I think I can find something in Clearwater or closer to Dunedin single room to share, but my main concern is its northern part of Florida how warm it will be during the night and overall so I can sleep at in my screen protected from bugs gazebo.

And is it really slow and very uneventful, on one hand you say Clearwater beach is crowded; if I ride bike on the beach for a mile or two in either direction can’t I find a less crowded space?

Parrish/Palmetto – how many miles in driving if it’s in the 3 - 4 miles I can ride a bike.

Cheers

Last edited by uborn; 07-16-2014 at 07:03 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 10:32 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,786,212 times
You need to come down for a visit first. Bring your bike.

You won't find screened sleeping porches, you won't find a cheaper beach a few miles away, and you won't find your price range near the beach.

If you rent in some redneck trailer park you might find your price range and a screened porch that needs repair. But you'll be farther from the beach.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,586,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uborn View Post
Well I’m looking at craiglist prices and see some single rooms to share near down town Clearwater or closer to Duneden or slightly lower closer to Largo in relatively ok homes in the range of $500 $600, but I’m not sure if the pries will go up during the snow bird season.

Are there really bad areas in these towns? How busy is Duneden beach or Safety Harbor, is it just old people? As for driving, are there buses that go regularly something like once every half an hour, am I allowed to bring a bike on the bus?

I think I can find something in Clearwater or closer to Dunedin single room to share, but my main concern is its northern part of Florida how warm it will be during the night and overall so I can sleep at in my screen protected from bugs gazebo.

And is it really slow and very uneventful, on one hand you say Clearwater beach is crowded; if I ride bike on the beach for a mile or two in either direction can’t I find a less crowded space?

Parrish/Palmetto – how many miles in driving if it’s in the 3 - 4 miles I can ride a bike.

Cheers
You really have a distorted vision of what is really like here.

I think you may want to visit before moving. Like we said before between December and April it gets cold at night. In December/Jan/Feb, and parts of March it gets down to the 30's and 40's! You won't get a screened in porch in that price range.

I wouldn't get something off Craigslist when it comes to housing, lost of crooks there.

Please visit & Enlist a realtor to show you what's available and at what prices.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 AM

17,484 posts, read 38,920,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You really have a distorted vision of what is really like here.

I think you may want to visit before moving. Like we said before between December and April it gets cold at night. In December/Jan/Feb, and parts of March it gets down to the 30's and 40's! You won't get a screened in porch in that price range.

I wouldn't get something off Craigslist when it comes to housing, lost of crooks there.

Please visit & Enlist a realtor to show you what's available and at what prices.
This ^^^. Sorry, OP, but your budget and expectations are totally unrealistic, you are going to have to compromise a lot. Clearwater Beach is SUPER crowded and congested. I would honestly think you will fill more of your wants looking in St. Pete - those beaches aren't that crowded, and there seems to be lower priced rentals there, but you MUST come down and search yourself. St. Pete also has more younger people (but plenty of retirees also) and a great downtown. Also, there are 9 miles of waterfront parks downtown (great for bike riding) and also the Pinellas Trail.

Again, come down for a visit.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:08 AM

790 posts, read 1,260,863 times
Florida cures diseases now? LOL

Old 07-17-2014, 07:17 AM

I can’t come down for a visit because of my budget, and my diet, I have to keep a strict diet so I can’t afford to come down and rent a hotel room, it will eat my budget a live and my diet will go backwards, it’s by stage so can’t compromise it, need to cook specific food and eat at specific times.. I can only take gamble because with my budget I can get something if I commit to 7-8 months right away I can't jump from one place to another

I guess I have to explore the Ft Meyers and lower parts of Florida as well.

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay