Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 09:44 AM

9 posts, read 8,657 times

Advertisements

Hi, first time posting! We are a family of 5, my kids are 11, 8 & 7, and we have been debating a move to the US from the UK for 3 years. My husband works there and currently travels between here and the US, so his company are more than happy for us to agree to relocate over there and will take care of all the necessary requirements for us. We have visited twice as a family, and this month have looked at the areas above in particular. We looked at a house in Dunedin, but my concern is that it seems so quiet, no kids out playing - which may seem like a petty thing to worry about but at home in the better weather my kids are out playing all day. We also looked at palm harbor which I liked and preferred the schools but again I didn't see any kids 'playing out' - we ran out of time to view safety harbor which I was disappointed about as from what I read it might have more of what I'm looking for. That is, a place with a good community, decent schools, plenty for the kids to do and freedom for them to play near the house. My husband will be commuting to St Petersburg.
Any advice welcome, we are looking to either rent or buy if possible in these areas, and I wondered if anyone can advise if these are good areas for a family like ours, and if kids actually play out in these communities! Schools are important too thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:11 PM

12 posts, read 20,247 times
The USA is going downhill as far as the economy, but you have your reasons for moving...If you plan on moving to this area, I will say HANDS DOWN, Safety Harbor is a fantastic place to set roots. It is a small quaint costal town that's 5 mins from shopping, nice places to eat and has MANY extracurricular activities for kids of all ages. They appreciate the arts, and eclectic things. People here are very down to earth and relaxed but enjoy an active lifestyle. There are many young families here. Kids walk home from school. Their summer camps are fab (safety harbor rec center) !
The public schools are O.K. as far as what is in the area. The town has street fairs, activities, parades, and lovely historical homes surrounded by old oak trees coated in Spanish moss. The homes have upcycled art, and trinkets. Walmart, target, countryside mall, the highway to Tampa (airport and international mall) are all very easy to get to. There is also a great private school in the area...Espiritu Santo and Countryside Christian Academy. They have a non American, and very traditional, healthy approach to educating kids. If you must enroll in a public school, ENSURE your kids are in a gifted, or honors program. (pay a psychologist to test your child for gifted once you get here. It's worth it! Most likely they will pass based on Florida standards.) Check out the town! You will like it. Also, St.Pete is not a bad commute if you take bayside bridge...I will forewarn you though...Pinellas county is HORRID for commuting, no matter where you are traveling from. Bayside bridge is the best route to st.pete and has easy access from safety harbor. Dunedin is full of old, conservative scottish loving retirees and the town offers very little for children. There are good rec centers and after school programs, but it's not as intimate and comfortable as safety harbor....Palm harbor is full of Snobs and it is very suburban. Commuting from St.pete to Palm harbor will drive you insane. There are no high ways to palm harbor (U.S. 19 is a glorified highway with MANY traffic lights) The homes are large, and lovely, but it would be difficult as far as convinience. The schools are better since there is more money in this area. If you don't mind commuting 1:20 mins hour to travel a mere 15 miles, go for palm harbor. safety harbor has a tactical location for commuters. I don't live in Safety Harbor, but I am 1 mile away ( Route 590 and U.S. 19 ) and can enjoy what the town offers. Try to move into the town if possible. Look on craigslist.org or Trulia.com.
http://www.cityofsafetyharbor.com/index.aspx?nid=62
http://patch.com/florida/safetyharbor

browse these websites.

Last edited by miz.hanson212; 11-12-2014 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: needed to cover all questions.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miz.hanson212 View Post
The USA is going downhill as far as the economy, but you have your reasons for moving...If you plan on moving to this area, I will say HANDS DOWN, Safety Harbor is a fantastic place to set roots. It is a small quaint costal town that's 5 mins from shopping, nice places to eat and has MANY extracurricular activities for kids of all ages. They appreciate the arts, and eclectic things. People here are very down to earth and relaxed but enjoy an active lifestyle. There are many young families here. Kids walk home from school. Their summer camps are fab (safety harbor rec center) !
I completely agree! I love SH!

Old 11-13-2014, 03:33 AM

351 posts, read 320,802 times
I agree that SH is great for young families with kids; a bit of Leave It To Beaver in FL!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:19 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decisions13 View Post
Hi, first time posting! We are a family of 5, my kids are 11, 8 & 7, and we have been debating a move to the US from the UK for 3 years. My husband works there and currently travels between here and the US, so his company are more than happy for us to agree to relocate over there and will take care of all the necessary requirements for us. We have visited twice as a family, and this month have looked at the areas above in particular. We looked at a house in Dunedin, but my concern is that it seems so quiet, no kids out playing - which may seem like a petty thing to worry about but at home in the better weather my kids are out playing all day. We also looked at palm harbor which I liked and preferred the schools but again I didn't see any kids 'playing out' - we ran out of time to view safety harbor which I was disappointed about as from what I read it might have more of what I'm looking for. That is, a place with a good community, decent schools, plenty for the kids to do and freedom for them to play near the house. My husband will be commuting to St Petersburg.
Any advice welcome, we are looking to either rent or buy if possible in these areas, and I wondered if anyone can advise if these are good areas for a family like ours, and if kids actually play out in these communities! Schools are important too thanks!
It takes the right cul de sac/street to "see" kids playing outside.
Generally kids here go to after school programs, so by the time they get home they don't usually spend time outside; more like dinner and bed! Others go to after school activities like dance, football, karate, etc, so also not on streets playing. We have a lot of sex offenders here because it's not cold out like up north, so be mindful of that; we can't leave our kids out now to roam like we used to back in the 70's/80's!

It IS very quiet in Florida in general. We used to live in Miami, not too far from downtown, and it was quiet...Lot's of retires and people who simply keep to themselves. If you come here and expect that you'll find the same mentalities as back where you're from, you're in for a big disappointment.

PS Safety Harbor is not that easy to get into either, it is a small community, and homes are expensive there.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:11 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

PS Safety Harbor is not that easy to get into either, it is a small community, and homes are expensive there.
This is very true. Be prepared to sign a contract pretty quickly if you find a home you like there!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:48 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times
Kids playing outside all day long was an era in America during the 1970's and 1980's. Now those kids and teenage kids as adults have children who are not interested in playing outdoors like their parents did. Kids go home and get on the internet and chat or text with friends from school.

Times have changed with Xbox and other game consoles. Kids just want to play video games after school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay