U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 PM

34 posts, read 63,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Don't pay it any mind. The Anglos are just ticked off because THEY'RE not allowed to discuss race or ethnicity, they're supposed to believe race is just a "social construct" and they have to bow to the duhversity gods.

I just saw a post by an Indian who is looking for a neighborhood with other Indians. If an Anglo did that, all hell would break loose. So that's why you get these responses.

I find your candor refreshing.

Really? Interesting didn't know that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:23 AM

4,812 posts, read 3,462,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTC View Post
That's because 20-30 years ago Mexicans historically settled there. Plus that's a tourism area like Clearwater Tampa etc.
?? Pinellas is not dark your map, you get that the darker the part on the map the more mexicans there are, so Highland county not a tourist hotbed unless they have orange picking tours I havent heard about. I am not by any stretch saying that Mexicans are good at agriculture or any of the sort, but a lot of the migrant workers are Mexicans, this is because Mexico is a bordering country that has plenty of poor, uneducated people who can cross the border with relative ease compared to the plethora of other countries that also have hordes of poor uneducated people, if the US bordered Moldova you would have mostly green eyed white migrant workers, nothing to do with race but opportunity.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
?? Pinellas is not dark your map, you get that the darker the part on the map the more mexicans there are, so Highland county not a tourist hotbed unless they have orange picking tours I havent heard about. I am not by any stretch saying that Mexicans are good at agriculture or any of the sort, but a lot of the migrant workers are Mexicans, this is because Mexico is a bordering country that has plenty of poor, uneducated people who can cross the border with relative ease compared to the plethora of other countries that also have hordes of poor uneducated people, if the US bordered Moldova you would have mostly green eyed white migrant workers, nothing to do with race but opportunity.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE. That's where historically settled 20-30 years ago my guess would be they were around 50,000 Mexicans in Florida by the time and mostly illegal now theres almost 700,000, the Mexican population in Florida is increasing because of high birth rate among Mexican women.

Now the first wave of Mexicans who came to Florida around 30 years ago aren't probably undocumented anymore because of the 1986 immigration reform control act just because the majority of Mexicans In Florida are In farming agriculture areas doesn't mean all Mexican Americans are into that sure they're but those are recent the vast majority Aren't.

You sound like an ignorant WASP.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,025,984 times
To answer your original question, and it's just my opinion, I really haven't seen any tension between various Hispanic groups in the area, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Only once did I hear a negative comment from a Mexican, that Cubans were lazy and arrogant.

There does seem to be a concentration of Cubans in some of the more urban parts of Tampa, but nothing like Miami. Mexicans seem to populate the more semi-rural and some suburban areas, especially where the USDA gave subsidies for housing purchases, like around here in South Hillsborough County.

But I don't see various Latino groups mixing and mingling much. I used to have neighbors from Puerto Rico, and they pretty much stuck to their own extended family members, a number of whom moved into the neighborhood. A few blocks over was a whole group of Colombians who socialized with each other, I never saw them hang out with their neighbors from Puerto Rico.

Mexicans seem pretty gregarious to me, and if invited to a party or gathering by another Latino group, I'm sure they'd be happy to show up, but I don't see it happening.

For all the heavy breathing about diversity, I think people pretty much stick to their own cultural and ethnic groups, which is normal, because of familiarity and comfort level.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:08 AM

299 posts, read 273,355 times
The maps are correct... The Cubans in Tampa seemed to have mingled into as communities, as I don't see the separation that I did even 30 years ago. Most of them came to Tampa many years ago. Miami is a different story... Hispanics are a majority there, and the Cubans came much later for the most part. The map shows that most of the Mexicans are in the rural areas.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
The maps are correct... The Cubans in Tampa seemed to have mingled into as communities, as I don't see the separation that I did even 30 years ago. Most of them came to Tampa many years ago. Miami is a different story... Hispanics are a majority there, and the Cubans came much later for the most part. The map shows that most of the Mexicans are in the rural areas.

Mexicans are all over Florida you can say except Miami area or close counties. But other than that are all over Florida Central North etc. And the darker shades its because they settled there 30-20 years ago so of course theres gonna be a bigger concentration.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 PM

2,708 posts, read 4,385,434 times
It seems to me the map was prepared by an amateur with no consistency on the "bins" selected to classify data that make it difficult really to compare by looking at it. I would bet that this is not a standard GIS output, rather someone manually created to make it look like whatever they want. So, I wouldn't try to generalize based on this map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or