Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,278 times

Advertisements

Yes, I understand that everyone seems not to care...

I would be worried about the property values crashing. You might care when/if you want to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Yes, I understand that everyone seems not to care...

I would be worried about the property values crashing. You might care when/if you want to move.
This is very true. We had a sinkhole, and we had it repaired properly. The repair process was a nightmare, but we got through it and ended up with a safe home that had a completely remodeled interior and a new driveway. We were told that we would probably lose about 10% of the value of our home when we went to sell it. WRONG. We put it on the market a couple years ago and it just sat there … all the realtors that came for the realtor open house said the same thing: take it off the market because it won't sell. No one wanted to buy it even though we reduced the price all the way down to what we owed. We're stuck with the house now. There is no way we'll be able to get rid of it unless we drop the price well below what we owe, and I'm just not willing to PAY to sell my house there. Thankfully we have a good tennant in there right now or we would have been STUCK in Hernando County.

So I agree, Leaving4Ca, people need to BE VERY CAREFUL when purchasing a home in Spring Hill.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Is everyone moving out of Seffner where that guy was killed last year or Dunedin, where a sinkhole destroyed two houses?
One sinkhole in Dunedin doesn't come close to the multitude of sinkholes reported in Spring Hill every year. The latest hole being 40 feet? I could understand saying that crime there isn't a problem, or traffic... But to say that sinkholes aren't a major problem in Spring Hill is a bit irrational, no?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 AM

46 posts, read 100,367 times
Iv lived in central fl. since 85, there's always a sink hole somewhere. The chances of it being your home has got to be one in million or more. Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, mud slides, blizzards, drought, everybody's got to deal with something. Can someone recomend a good honest realtor for the area?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlxin View Post
Iv lived in central fl. since 85, there's always a sink hole somewhere. The chances of it being your home has got to be one in million or more. Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, mud slides, blizzards, drought, everybody's got to deal with something. Can someone recomend a good honest realtor for the area?
For Spring Hill? We used David Van Horn with Keller Williams. He's a great guy and will be very honest with you. He's been a Hernando County resident for a long time, and he knows the sinkhole situation pretty well:

David VanHorn | Spring Hill FL | Keller Williams Realty

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2014, 09:00 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Doesn't the fact there there is/was a gigantic sink hole in Spring Hill phase anyone from buying a home there?

That is literally money down the drain... a pretty big risk to take, in my opinion.

Isn't anyone even slightly bothered by that?
this is a gigantic sinkhole: Pictures: Winter Park sinkhole - Orlando Sentinel

It didnt change a thing in Winter Park.

You have to understand that sinkholes are pretty normal occurrences in Florida. Do a little Googling on Florida Sinkholes are you will see that a huge portion of the central western section is a sinkhole garden.
Sinkholes tends to occur in Florida, Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. It is all about topography. The land in FL sits over an aquifer. The levels of that aquifer fluctuate leaving huge open caverns underground. If the limestone that holds up the land above breaks, it all falls into the caverns. There is no telling when or if a sinkhole will occur. This has been going on for millenia.

Some states live with earthquakes, some with tornadoes, some with floods and some with sinkholes.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
One sinkhole in Dunedin doesn't come close to the multitude of sinkholes reported in Spring Hill every year. The latest hole being 40 feet? I could understand saying that crime there isn't a problem, or traffic... But to say that sinkholes aren't a major problem in Spring Hill is a bit irrational, no?
In a time period ending June 2013 there were 1,085 sinkhole claims in Hernando County
The laws regarding sinkholes changed 2011 when the state made it harder for people to collect on sinkholes and not fix them. Also Citizens Insurance raised sinkhole coverage premiums significantly.

In 2014 271 sinkhole claims were made in the same period ending June 30 in 2014.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 AM

You may be wise to be "very careful" about buying a home any where in FL and several other states.

In a time period ending June 2013 there were 1,085 sinkhole claims in Hernando County

The laws regarding sinkholes changed 2011 when the state made it harder for people to collect on sinkholes and not fix them. Also Citizens Insurance raised sinkhole coverage premiums significantly.
In 2014 271 sinkhole claims were made in the same period ending June 30 in 2014.

Your house problem: Another reason you dislike SH.

Nobody was buying houses "a couple of years ago". Much less a sinkhole house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
This is very true. We had a sinkhole, and we had it repaired properly. The repair process was a nightmare, but we got through it and ended up with a safe home that had a completely remodeled interior and a new driveway. We were told that we would probably lose about 10% of the value of our home when we went to sell it. WRONG. We put it on the market a couple years ago and it just sat there … all the realtors that came for the realtor open house said the same thing: take it off the market because it won't sell. No one wanted to buy it even though we reduced the price all the way down to what we owed. We're stuck with the house now. There is no way we'll be able to get rid of it unless we drop the price well below what we owe, and I'm just not willing to PAY to sell my house there. Thankfully we have a good tennant in there right now or we would have been STUCK in Hernando County.

So I agree, Leaving4Ca, people need to BE VERY CAREFUL when purchasing a home in Spring Hill.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Your house problem: Another reason you dislike SH.

Nobody was buying houses "a couple of years ago". Much less a sinkhole house.
Yeah … the house thing was a definite bummer for sure. I doubt we'll be able to sell until we are able to drop the house down to 100K or less, which won't be for a while.

Our housing situation definitely didn't do much to improve on my feelings for Spring Hill, but I recognize sinkholes can happen pretty much anywhere in the sinkhole zone of Florida. They are not just a Hernando County thing.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Yeah … the house thing was a definite bummer for sure. I doubt we'll be able to sell until we are able to drop the house down to 100K or less, which won't be for a while.

Our housing situation definitely didn't do much to improve on my feelings for Spring Hill, but I recognize sinkholes can happen pretty much anywhere in the sinkhole zone of Florida. They are not just a Hernando County thing.
Sinkholes were a big thing here until they law changed and comprehensive sinkhole coverage became non existent or very expensive. So many sharpies figured out that if they hire a sinkhole remediation company to look at their property they WILL find a sinkhole to fix. Then you made a claim with the insurance carrier, got paid directly from the insurance carrier and then decided if you wanted to fix the "sinkhole" or pocket the cash. Guess which route most went?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay