Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM

46 posts, read 100,370 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Im thinking about moving to this area. I currently rent just north of the airport. Would like to buy a 3/2/2 in good condition for under 99k which looks achievable in this area. I also would like to get out of the area im in mostly because I only speak English. Only need to be in Tampa, St. pete once a week. One house im looking at is close to intersection of Spring hill dr. and Mariner blvd. Late 30s swm. Apreciate any and all coments. Like to fish, kayak, beach, socialize with girls ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 12:56 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,153 times
I would look up around Spring Hill or even Brooksville. They have your price range, more rural vice city, more home owners vice renters, etc...

The trip would be a bit longer, but once a week and have a much more relaxed atmosphere I would move that far up in a minute.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:05 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Well, you'll quickly be told how much you don't want to live here.

But, I'll give you my perspective. I live in Spring Hill and am most certainly glad I didn't get the house we tried to buy in Port Richey. Many will tell you that entire West Pasco area is sketchy, or worse. I tend to agree to a point based on what I've seen since I'm down there quite often for work. That's not to say there aren't some pockets of decent neighborhoods, etc.

Do your homework in terms of sinkholes, the neighborhood you're looking at, etc. FWIW, I think Spring Hill is like many other places - some neighborhoods are better than others but I don't think you can find a "ghetto" here, for example. Prices may be better in some of the older neighborhoods, and some of them are quite nice.

Another member here, Spring Hillian, can provide you with lots of great info, as he did for me when I was researching moving here.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Well, you'll quickly be told how much you don't want to live here.

But, I'll give you my perspective. I live in Spring Hill and am most certainly glad I didn't get the house we tried to buy in Port Richey. Many will tell you that entire West Pasco area is sketchy, or worse. I tend to agree to a point based on what I've seen since I'm down there quite often for work. That's not to say there aren't some pockets of decent neighborhoods, etc.

Do your homework in terms of sinkholes, the neighborhood you're looking at, etc. FWIW, I think Spring Hill is like many other places - some neighborhoods are better than others but I don't think you can find a "ghetto" here, for example. Prices may be better in some of the older neighborhoods, and some of them are quite nice.

Another member here, Spring Hillian, can provide you with lots of great info, as he did for me when I was researching moving here.
I agree with this. Spring Hill is a step above Port Richey. It's also a step up from where the OP currently resides.

I think a single male at the OP's age (almost 40) looking for inexpensive housing would probably be pretty content in Spring Hill.

Typically I hesitate to recommend Spring Hill to families with small children or young professionals. Retirees, older adults, or people in need of inexpensive housing will probably enjoy living in Spring Hill.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Not only can u get a great deal on a house, you should find Spring Hill to your liking. If you're the outdoorsy type it is great. Biking, walking, boating, canoeing, kyack, scuba, snorkeling, scallop beds, fresh and salt water fishing, shore and deep sea all available and there is a small beach with amenities here. Several clubs/bars, sports bar, a wide array of restaurants (one endorsed by Emril Lagassee), every retail venue you will need, low taxes, HOI runs a little high, not bad without the comprehensive coverage. There is a YMCA on Mariner off Spring Hill Drive. Traffic volume is much lower and I think you find a less snobby crowd. Electricity will probably be lower too since we have an electric cooperative here. We all one a piece of it. 3 hospitals, large selection of doctors. Those 65 and older and less than 20 percent of the population and declining.

Brookville is cool too except you will pay city taxes. Spring Hill is unincorporated.

If you have any questions, just post.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
You can find plenty of homes for under 60k in Portrichey, most are small 2 bedrooms. Not much gang ban
gers like you would see in Town&country. Don't know much about Springhill, other than it is nicer than west Pasco on avg, but a bit more distance to drive from Tampa.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:53 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Not much gang ban
gers like you would see in Town&country.
Lol. Somebody should really explain this one to me. I've lived in and around Town and Country for the majority of my life. Where are these supposed gang bangers hiding?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Lol. Somebody should really explain this one to me. I've lived in and around Town and Country for the majority of my life. Where are these supposed gang bangers hiding?
I lived in Danashores for 41 years and watched how TNC has turned to latin thugs and seen how it has gone down hill. Just look at the 12 Oaks area for starters. The whole area from Waters to Hills Ave looks like a dump.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I lived in Danashores for 41 years and watched how TNC has turned to latin thugs and seen how it has gone down hill. Just look at the 12 Oaks area for starters. The whole area from Waters to Hills Ave looks like a dump.
Looking like a dump /= gang activity. Outside of that, being latin doesn't make you a "thug."

Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post

They melt into the background like all the drug dealers, section 8 recipients and all the other low lifes that live in all the $30-50k home in the Westport subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay