U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2014, 08:57 AM
 
1,750 posts, read 1,620,725 times
Reputation: 1067

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
As a Tampa native who feels he is being squeezed out by all the transplants moving here... I would have to say that it doesn't surprise me that Tampa is currently ranked one of the best place to move to. Apparently all the lemmings have agreed!

I love it here. But it's officially time for me to get out. Too many people and not enough infrastructure for them all. The entire Tampa Bay area has grown way too fast, and now all that's happening is the young generations are leaving. So the reputation of Florida being a great place to get old and die is becoming more crystallized these days. More old people moving in, less young people sticking around. This state is now the most beautiful retirement home in the nation! I'm not blaming people for moving here, either. It's beautiful. Way too hot and humid for me anymore, though, the older I get. I'm going the other direction... I'm now looking to leave Florida as I approach my 40s and move to the PNW, which I understand is a place that most people move *from* as they get older. I guess I'm backwards!!!
I often follow what people write on the respective PNW forums on City Data (since I have relatives up there) and believe you me they complain about the same you listed in your post(i.e. Californians have ruined the place, especially Seattle, it's crowded, traffic is a nightmare, the COL is through the roof, housing is expensive, people get SAD(seasonal affective disorder), it rains too much, the Seattle freeze etc.. etc.. seems to me everyone is complaining about something nowadays...people are never pleased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
265 posts, read 317,884 times
Reputation: 525
Oh I hear you, that's a good point. The way I look at it is this... I have to live in a city since I am not independently wealthy, so I have to have a job, and that's where jobs are. So the main thing I need is to live in a place where I can actually get out and escape from metro areas on the weekends, and mini vacations and stuff. Here in Florida, you can't go anywhere anymore. In my lifetime alone, I watched suburbia spring up in ALL the rural places between towns. When traveling up to, say, Atlanta from Tampa, you would leave Tampa and be in the middle of nowhere until you got to Ocala, and even that was still relatively nowhere, followed by Gainesville which was also nowhere, and so forth, all the way up to Macon, then Atlanta. Now, there is barely an area between any of these towns where there are no gas stations and restaurants, and tract houses as far as the eye can see. At least, out in the PNW there is still lots of open land and places to get out of the city and decompress. That's honestly all I need... to be able to take a day trip somewhere and be out of the city, collect my thoughts, and reset myself before returning to the grind.

Basically, I never knew I was claustrophobic until Florida began blowing up like a balloon and suddenly there was no more empty space anywhere. That one little thing has basically made Florida a toxic place to my mental state. I love love LOVE it here, and this will always be my home, and I will always have friends and family to come back and visit whenever I get a hankerin' for some Florida white sand beaches, and swamp canoeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Tampa, Fl
4,091 posts, read 4,672,426 times
Reputation: 3351
So, are they moving to Tampa or to Sarasota? It's not the same city, nor is it the same county. I'll also have to say, it's probably not Tampa as Tampa seems to be content with people living in the 'burbs, making their money in Tampa, and then going home and spending it in the 'burbs. I wish we would stop supporting Hillsborough (and Pinellas, and Manatee) and start supporting the city of Tampa itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 AM
 
1,750 posts, read 1,620,725 times
Reputation: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
Oh I hear you, that's a good point. The way I look at it is this... I have to live in a city since I am not independently wealthy, so I have to have a job, and that's where jobs are. So the main thing I need is to live in a place where I can actually get out and escape from metro areas on the weekends, and mini vacations and stuff. Here in Florida, you can't go anywhere anymore. In my lifetime alone, I watched suburbia spring up in ALL the rural places between towns. When traveling up to, say, Atlanta from Tampa, you would leave Tampa and be in the middle of nowhere until you got to Ocala, and even that was still relatively nowhere, followed by Gainesville which was also nowhere, and so forth, all the way up to Macon, then Atlanta. Now, there is barely an area between any of these towns where there are no gas stations and restaurants, and tract houses as far as the eye can see. At least, out in the PNW there is still lots of open land and places to get out of the city and decompress. That's honestly all I need... to be able to take a day trip somewhere and be out of the city, collect my thoughts, and reset myself before returning to the grind.

Basically, I never knew I was claustrophobic until Florida began blowing up like a balloon and suddenly there was no more empty space anywhere. That one little thing has basically made Florida a toxic place to my mental state. I love love LOVE it here, and this will always be my home, and I will always have friends and family to come back and visit whenever I get a hankerin' for some Florida white sand beaches, and swamp canoeing.
How can't you not go anywhere? FL is pretty much empty/uninhabited in the middle. North of Crystal river all the way to Tallahassee it's wilderness galore, like the Everglades. Plenty of places to decompress. If you want to truly decompress, you should take up on scuba diving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
265 posts, read 317,884 times
Reputation: 525
^ Good point, and I actually do utilize that which we do have... I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. But that's the problem, is there aren't too many places left. All there is, now, is the Glades, and the Ocala Nat'l Forest, and a few barrier islands. It just gets old quick when ALL you do is outdoor stuff, you know what I mean? I need more of a variety. I do love SCUBA, but I admit I spend more time free-diving and snorkeling. I have often considered getting certified for cave diving, but my wife is scared of it and won't let me do it. It's too easy to die down there, according to her. Fair enough I suppose. But yeah, all I have left now is the swamps. Which is cool, and I it is where I spend most of my time. Honestly, it really is all that's left BECAUSE they are swamps and people can't build Walmarts or tract houses on top of them (yet). So I spend a lot of time up in the Hillsborough River backwaters, as well as a lot of the springs north of me.

But you have to admit, if you are at least in your mid 30s or older, the areas we have to go "play in the outdoors" have been reduced by at least 75%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 11:45 AM
 
1,750 posts, read 1,620,725 times
Reputation: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
^ Good point, and I actually do utilize that which we do have... I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. But that's the problem, is there aren't too many places left. All there is, now, is the Glades, and the Ocala Nat'l Forest, and a few barrier islands. It just gets old quick when ALL you do is outdoor stuff, you know what I mean? I need more of a variety. I do love SCUBA, but I admit I spend more time free-diving and snorkeling. I have often considered getting certified for cave diving, but my wife is scared of it and won't let me do it. It's too easy to die down there, according to her. Fair enough I suppose. But yeah, all I have left now is the swamps. Which is cool, and I it is where I spend most of my time. Honestly, it really is all that's left BECAUSE they are swamps and people can't build Walmarts or tract houses on top of them (yet). So I spend a lot of time up in the Hillsborough River backwaters, as well as a lot of the springs north of me.

But you have to admit, if you are at least in your mid 30s or older, the areas we have to go "play in the outdoors" have been reduced by at least 75%.

Pinellas and Manatee still have plenty of nature preserves/parks etc ..

Snorkeling? Where? The water is green and murky around here..however, there's a few spots where you can shore dive.

I think a lot of what people say, depends on where exactly they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
265 posts, read 317,884 times
Reputation: 525
Best snorkeling I've found around here is off Egmont Key. Highly recommend it. But I don't want to give away too many of the remaining secrets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 AM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,777,418 times
Reputation: 5072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
It's "he".
My apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 3,779,000 times
Reputation: 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
My apologies.
No problem. I remember when everyone thought you were a woman, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 01:19 PM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,777,418 times
Reputation: 5072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
No problem. I remember when everyone thought you were a woman, too.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top