U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:44 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,141,486 times

Advertisements

I'd go where my company most needed me and where I'd make my biggest impact - and move up in the organization -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 05:56 PM

85 posts, read 106,465 times
St Pete has a great downtown, parks, and old timey neighborhoods (north of DT). Its pretty walkable and the beaches are close (its the gulf, no waves). Its pretty affordable.

Jacksonville is actually really cool, its an old gritty town but that is what makes it kind of cool. When i was there I found a lot of local, indie venues and people were sooooo friendly. You can rent is some pretty amazing neighborhood for a good rate.

Tampa is NOT on the beach and has very little water access. There is a younger vibe there. Its kind of dirty unless you are in south Tampa. Great shopping malls and night life. Be prepared to be in your car the whole time, I dont find it a very walkable city. Great international airport.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:21 PM

165 posts, read 176,981 times
I completed my undergrad in JAX and loved it....however, both metros are completely different! I was ready to move (Atlanta, Philly, Tampa Bay) toward the end of undergrad.

Jacksonville -- I experienced a mild culture shock, it's really spread out but has a southern "surfer" feel. I loved the in-town neighborhoods of Riverside, Avondale, Murray Hill, and of course Downtown JAX. There's a "indie" feel to it, kinda of more Hipster and down to earth.

Tampa Bay -- A little more cosmopolitan and "city" feel. However there are distinct parts of the metro St. Pete reminds me of the JAX Beach areas; DTSP, Kenwood, Grand Central and Seminole Heights/Ybor (Tampa): Has a more grittier, hipster/trendy feel. South Tampa reminds me of San Marco/Avondale just more urbanized....

Honestly, it's all up to your taste and feel. If you want a more city environment with things to do I would vote for Tampa since there's SO MUCH to do between Tampa/St.Pete/Orlando. I had a great time in JAX but it's more of a "house party" or bar city. Tampa is akin to NOLA has a more live let live attitude.

Good Luck! I do miss the weather up there...make sure you visit both cities for at least 3-4 days and get a feel.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:01 PM

85 posts, read 106,465 times
gjosephunf gave a really good post on the two areas.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:40 PM

30 posts, read 44,581 times
I recommend north St. Pete. It's 20 min from the airport, 25 min from south tampa. 30 min from Clearwater beach. 30 min from st pete beach. 15-20 min from downtown st. pete.
I think its quite convenient.

And yes, you are right, I met a lot of angry people in Jacksonville... but I think I am very thankful for the vibe I have in St. Pete now thanks to that experience.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:46 PM

67 posts, read 78,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landing on Galaxy View Post
I recommend north St. Pete. It's 20 min from the airport, 25 min from south tampa. 30 min from Clearwater beach. 30 min from st pete beach. 15-20 min from downtown st. pete.
I think its quite convenient.

And yes, you are right, I met a lot of angry people in Jacksonville... but I think I am very thankful for the vibe I have in St. Pete now thanks to that experience.
Well that's great... We'll be heading down from Jax to St Pete Beach for our semi annual vacation and we love it there. But after living in Tampa for almost 6 years and now in Jax for close to 25, both places have advantages/disadvantages and I have found no more angry people in Jax than I did in Tampa. Where did you experience all these angry folks you speak of in Jax and why were they so angry?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Been living in orlando for over 4 years. I have the choice to xfer to either tampa area or jacksonville. Im 30 something. I like beaches, going out, staying active and social. Im not making 6 figures but I want to some day. Im white with a bit of a prep rocker vibe. I like a bit of a southern vibe but value friendly social down to earth people over anything else.

I plan to live either south jax or south tampa or st pete. I will ve looking for roomates and trying to keep rent at 600 or below.

I expect the tampa thread to say tampa mostly but please lmk why jax or tampa is better for me.
Tampa has better strip clubs..Not much else..Lived there for 4 years.. Now back in the Orlando suburbs..Tampa is the most cliquish city I have ever lived in.. Tampa suffers from wanting to be a Miami, which it is not, (thankfully).. Good things about Tampa is lots of beautiful women...Most of the folks who are not cool enough to be in cliques are friendly and nice people..International Mall is the only place to find decent Mens's attire. Although there is a great resale place in DT St. Pete..Other negatives are downtown is a big nothing..Channelside has flopped...I-275...No local live music scene to speak of.. The music scene is all DJ (not talented enough to learn to plan a real instrument) crap...Positives are usually a great Summer concert series at the amphitheater from national acts..Traffic not that bad...Reversible lanes on the Crosstown...Mons Venus...Dillards outlet store..Did I say lots of Beautiful women..Way more than Orlando.....

Don't know much about Jacksonville..

SB

Old 08-07-2014, 01:16 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,793,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchboogie View Post
Tampa has better strip clubs..Not much else..Lived there for 4 years.. Now back in the Orlando suburbs..Tampa is the most cliquish city I have ever lived in.. Tampa suffers from wanting to be a Miami, which it is not, (thankfully).. Good things about Tampa is lots of beautiful women...Most of the folks who are not cool enough to be in cliques are friendly and nice people..International Mall is the only place to find decent Mens's attire. Although there is a great resale place in DT St. Pete..Other negatives are downtown is a big nothing..Channelside has flopped...I-275...No local live music scene to speak of.. The music scene is all DJ (not talented enough to learn to plan a real instrument) crap...Positives are usually a great Summer concert series at the amphitheater from national acts..Traffic not that bad...Reversible lanes on the Crosstown...Mons Venus...Dillards outlet store..Did I say lots of Beautiful women..Way more than Orlando.....

SB
I really don't think Tampa wants to be Miami.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:42 PM

165 posts, read 176,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchboogie View Post

SB
I disagree with this post. I definitely think Tampa does not "try" to be like Miami.....Miami is simply Miami, Tampa, Orlando, etc. Each metro in Florida has it's own vibe which I like. I agree with the clique's (mainly Tampa natives who NEVER left) I went to High School with them. However, I've learned since returning to "PYOT" PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE. Attend socials, meet-ups, library, museum, festivals, etc. I've been able to connect with a great group of people, and still meet all sorts of individuals each day. I love that about Tampa everybody is pretty chill, and I still kinda fly under the radar meanwhile in Jacksonville it seemed like everyone in my generation knew ME (college social scene = small-cityish vibe).

Yes, 275 is crap (not planned/designed for future blame FDOT) and Channelside made a turn for the worse BUT (Look @ Vinik vision), and DT isn't vibrant "yet." However, this city has a bright future if our leaders step-up and carry out the vision. I think the music scene is pretty rad great mix between Indie/House and all sorts of music festivals. I'm looking forward to Coral Skies Festival in October (Tampa/West Palm becoming known for Indie+Alternative festivals).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or