Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,498 times

Advertisements

Somewhere in this thread there must be mention of a screened room? That's what I was looking for. At any rate I got a CHUCKLE out of the "Historic Gulfport". I lived in Gulfport back in 81, right on Beach Blvd around 24-26 Ave. It was nice to be able to walk to the beach and a couple of places to eat & drink. I would not walk outside of that little area. East of 49th St. things get REAL different.
Since then, Gulfport has changed! I would call it more of an "Arts" district than "Historic", no matter the age of the houses. That said having the "Historic" label all of the sudden everyone wants to live there - prices go up. Most of the houses are small. There are other historic areas in the area; Kenwood, Old Northeast even downtown.
Someone mentioned FLOOD INSURANCE - you betcha'!! There may have been a "pause" in the increase of rates but they are going to be very high - as much or more than a mortgage payment.
Maybe nice to visit the market & shops, have a bite to eat - there's a LOT to consider before buying there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 05:28 AM

464 posts, read 645,494 times
Sally...lots of changes since you lived here in 1981...my gosh, that's almost 35 years ago! The surrounding area, including east of 49th is much improved. The Marina District starts at 49th and goes east and that is another wonderful part of Gulfport. Gentrification spreads. I mean, what did Kenwood and even Old Northeast look like in 1981??

Old 10-11-2014, 01:23 AM

131 posts, read 139,676 times
Way too much deception here. There is no such place as a Historic District, there is nothing more historic in the area you describe than in other older parts of the city. Much has changed and not for the better I'm afraid.
The infrastructure is deteriorating, the sewers are pushing black water into the streets and the bay, the water is filthy. The crime rate has increased, there have been two race riots just east of 49th street since 1981.
If you stand on the corner of 29th Ave and Beach Blvd you will see a sign that tells you that a Cat 3 storm will put the 8 foot sign underwater. Just about every property south of 22 Ave is in an evacuation zone.
People need to know what's at risk, and I'm afraid some on this site are more interested in selling than informing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay