U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:49 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,036,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Orlando
Ahh right, landlocked, tourist trap..

Ok kidding, actually I like ORL; was there last weekend but I much prefer Tampa Bay (note I said TB, not Tampa) due to the bay/beaches/natural environment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 AM

6,338 posts, read 4,573,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A couple of miserable people in NYC? Do you see how many NYkers come here for relocation advice?

Most of the non hispanic people in S. FL are from NYC. Spring Hill is probably 65 percent former New Yorkers.

Every city I have ever been too had a better QOL than NYC.
There is a lot more people in the NYC area than here so it stands to reason you would see a lot of then moving here, this also a big retirement area so that skews the numbers. NYC has a bigger influx of people from everywhere that's not even debatable, it sounds like the city chewed you up and spit you out, it happens you should just let it go. I love NYC, but I have a blended family so moving is out of the picture until the kids are grown, my wife is also a New Yorker and it would take a lot to move her out of South Tampa so it's not for everybody.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Tampa does nothing for me. The only time we ever go to Tampa is if we go to the zoo, busch gardens or to catch a cruise ship but we go to the east coast for most ships. Most of the acts we like come to ruth eckerd hall in clearwater so non need for the concerts.

i dont know what you are looking for, but i am sure u would find anything you had up north in tampa bay area.

'they' have no problem taking our money'. who is they??

no, tampa will never be nyc, chicago, san francisco etc. it is an old port city famous for its cigar manufacturers which are all but gone. that leaves it as a port city. certainly there are big companys
there, jabil circuit, masonite intl., there are dozens. there are a lot of restaurants, theater, museums, things to see and do. the problem is those venues can get very crowded. i am done with crowds. i much rather to go ruth eckerd hall than madison square garden. ive said it before, for me cities simply suck. too many people, too much traffic, too much noise, too many highways. i did my city time in nyc and then downsized it to orlando but even orlando got too big and busy for us. that is why we are out here. quiet. serene. i gave up on nyc when i was 30, orlando at 47. there was no way i could have stayed in nyc another 35 years to reach retirement age. ny has certainly been the center of american history. it all started there in early 1600's with the dutch.
I thought everything started in St Augustine, FL, no? Also,take a look at this..

Jungle Prada Site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not very fond of the immediate Tampa area except the Westshore area, Bayshore, South Tampa, Davis Island but downtown has been coming along lately( I believe the proper steps are being taken to revitalize the area). Example: I know this guy who lived comfortably in Pasco cty and has recently moved to DT (there's 8K people living in DT now). Plus Vinik is ready to invest heavily and re-do Channelside, so for a city of 350K people, it's not bad. Tampa is the epicenter of this metro area.

If you take into account the surrounding counties that comprise TB plus St Pete, Sarasota, countless of beach towns along the shore, this area(for me) is more aesthetically pleasing than anything in Chicago or NY. One thing I like, there's virtually no graffiti in TB (large cities are dirty and overcrowded).

Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM

12,135 posts, read 15,295,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
There is a lot more people in the NYC area than here so it stands to reason you would see a lot of then moving here, this also a big retirement area so that skews the numbers. NYC has a bigger influx of people from everywhere that's not even debatable, it sounds like the city chewed you up and spit you out, it happens you should just let it go. I love NYC, but I have a blended family so moving is out of the picture until the kids are grown, my wife is also a New Yorker and it would take a lot to move her out of South Tampa so it's not for everybody.
Hardly chewed me up and spit me out.....

I just got tired of living the rat race where I had to live to work instead of work to live.

No place is for everybody. I did let it go, 25 years ago. The NYC that is there today is not the NYC I grew up in. Especially the boroughs.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:07 AM

There wasnt much going on here when he landed. NY and the surrounding area was big on the fur trade. It was the Dutch who actually set up shop and started a government here in the new world.

Giovanni da Verrazzano was an Italian explorer who chartered the Atlantic coast of North America between the Carolinas and Newfoundland, including New York Harbor in 1524.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
I thought everything started in St Augustine, FL, no? Also,take a look at this..

Jungle Prada Site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not very fond of the immediate Tampa area except the Westshore area, Bayshore, South Tampa, Davis Island but downtown has been coming along lately( I believe the proper steps are being taken to revitalize the area). Example: I know this guy who lived comfortably in Pasco cty and has recently moved to DT (there's 8K people living in DT now). Plus Vinik is ready to invest heavily and re-do Channelside, so for a city of 350K people, it's not bad. Tampa is the epicenter of this metro area.

If you take into account the surrounding counties that comprise TB plus St Pete, Sarasota, countless of beach towns along the shore, this area(for me) is more aesthetically pleasing than anything in Chicago or NY. One thing I like, there's virtually no graffiti in TB (large cities are dirty and overcrowded).

Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Lol, long way to drive for coffee and a pecan ring ...

Don't care about your schedule and if the shoe fits, wear it. Different strokes for different folks ...
Sure, different stroke for different folks. You are there and the rest of are here.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
There wasnt much going on here when he landed. NY and the surrounding area was big on the fur trade. It was the Dutch who actually set up shop and started a government here in the new world.

Giovanni da Verrazzano was an Italian explorer who chartered the Atlantic coast of North America between the Carolinas and Newfoundland, including New York Harbor in 1524.
Yeah I know, NY was developed earlier but was referring to who discovered NY vs FL and when? I always thought FL was discovered before NY? I think Columbus landed in the Bahamas in 1492, Hispaniola, Cuba and then explored the Gulf of Mexico.

Giovanni da Verrazano, an Italian-born navigator sailing for France, discovered New York Bay in 1524. Henry Hudson, an Englishman employed by the Dutch, reached the bay and sailed up the river now bearing his name in 1609, the same year that northern New York was explored and claimed for France by Samuel de Champlain.

Ponce de Leon discovers Florida — History.com This Day in History — 4/2/1513. April 2. General Interest. Near present-day St. Augustine, Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de Leon comes ashore on the Florida coast, and claims the territory for the Spanish crown.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 AM

1492 is the year we were taught America was discovered by Columbus. Ive heard theories that Nodic explorers came way before, but nobody will ever really know unless they find a Nordic newspaper in a ice pack someday.

In 1539 Hernando de Soto landed in what is now Tampa. So there were a lot of folks checking out the real estate in those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Yeah I know, NY was developed earlier but was referring to who discovered NY vs FL and when? I always thought FL was discovered before NY? I think Columbus landed in the Bahamas in 1492, Hispaniola, Cuba and then explored the Gulf of Mexico.

Giovanni da Verrazano, an Italian-born navigator sailing for France, discovered New York Bay in 1524. Henry Hudson, an Englishman employed by the Dutch, reached the bay and sailed up the river now bearing his name in 1609, the same year that northern New York was explored and claimed for France by Samuel de Champlain.

Ponce de Leon discovers Florida — History.com This Day in History — 4/2/1513. April 2. General Interest. Near present-day St. Augustine, Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de Leon comes ashore on the Florida coast, and claims the territory for the Spanish crown.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 AM

9,006 posts, read 9,683,594 times
Gosh I wasn't expecting to be so entertained this morning, lol
Idk how I stumbled upon this thread, but carry on

Old 08-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Gosh I wasn't expecting to be so entertained this morning, lol
Idk how I stumbled upon this thread, but carry on
Here's a lollipop for you..carry on..

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/shortorder/lollipop.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay