U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,633,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauzero View Post
There is no such thing as walkability near St Pete/Clearwater airport. I live right near it. I would look to move somewhere downtown such as St Pete, Dunedin, or Safety Harbor. The latter two are smaller towns but they offer quite a bit in terms of night life, dining, and being near the water. I've been to Chicago many times and nothing here in the Tampa Bay area is going to resemble what you are used to. I would prepare for a bit of a culture shock.
Yup culture shock.. overall TB provides better QOL than Chicago.. (worldwide only Canberra, Ottawa and Zurich have highest scores, according to this site.)(see Quality of Life Index Rate)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,788 times
Thanks so much for all this advice! I have some leeway in rent, so my concern is location more than anything. Sounds like downtown St Pete May work best. I don't mind a 30 minute commute. I'm not a party girl, but would like to be near social areas. I am very excited to get down there. I do love chicago, but this job relocation couldn't have come at a better time. After a decade, I need a break from Chicago. Taxes and rent and crime are just out of control.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Ah, another one leaving Chicago for the Tampa Bay area. In all likelihood, you will love it here compared to Chicago. Who wouldn't. Based on where you will be working, you will have lots of options. Downtown St. Pete probably the best option for you, but you may want to look at Safety Harbor as well.

Good luck and welcome to the area. We have lots of people fleeing Chicago for a better life here.
I am another Chicagoan who is seriously considering moving down to the Tampa area. I have been offered a job near there and actually need to decide within the next day or so whether I want to take it. I love Chicago and am having a difficult time deciding whether I will have a better life in Florida. To me, quality of life is about more than the temperature outside. Oh, and I own a Prius.

I genuinely am hoping to gain insight as to the reason why Tampa could offer a better quality of life (other than weather). I am used to taking advantage of the culture Chicago has to offer, and I am accustomed to interacting with highly educated people. Just want to make sure the stereotypes about Florida being a bit backwoods aren't true...

Any insight would be helpful as I try and make my decision. Also, sorry to hijack your thread, Anners. I am a single in my late 20s, so we are in a similar boat.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,788 times
Hijack away Lavender! Any help you get, I get too!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:06 AM

219 posts, read 287,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender11 View Post
I genuinely am hoping to gain insight as to the reason why Tampa could offer a better quality of life (other than weather). I am used to taking advantage of the culture Chicago has to offer, and I am accustomed to interacting with highly educated people. Just want to make sure the stereotypes about Florida being a bit backwoods aren't true...

)
I realize you are young, but I do hope you do not limit yourself to only interacting with individuals who are "pedigreed" and "highly educated." If so, you are missing out on valuable friendships. I know many educated idiots, and know several people without degrees who are intelligent. I've been to Chicago many times on business and have run into and/or dealt with my fair share of individuals who are less than perfect. That will be the same anywhere you travel in the world.

Tampa/St. Pete is a diverse community and multicultural. You will find anything from the opera and museums to frog jumping competitions and mullet tosses. There truly is something for everyone.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,857,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgoer44 View Post
I realize you are young, but I do hope you do not limit yourself to only interacting with individuals who are "pedigreed" and "highly educated." If so, you are missing out on valuable friendships. I know many educated idiots, and know several people without degrees who are intelligent. I've been to Chicago many times on business and have run into and/or dealt with my fair share of individuals who are less than perfect. That will be the same anywhere you travel in the world.

Tampa/St. Pete is a diverse community and multicultural. You will find anything from the opera and museums to frog jumping competitions and mullet tosses. There truly is something for everyone.
My wife and I moved here from Joliet but my wife worked in Chicago at the wrigley building. It is a big change from Chicago to Tampa. Chicago is twice the size as Tampa, crime in Tampa is high compared to its size. Yes there are museums and theater but not like Chicago. You are comming from a world class city to a basic city. Of course you are not going to have the same food, or entertainment , or cultural, or people. Tampa is a nice medium city. And there are things to do and see. But be prepared for a much smaller crowd, no trains, not that many taxie and smaller buses compared to Chicago. And yes my wife says that the people here are a little more laid back here. And it's a little cheaper to live here, just be prepared for higher auto insurance Florida is a no fault state were as illionis is not. Renters insurance and homeowners are also higher here than illionis. And also food is more expensive because you know most food travels through Chicago first because Chicago is a major rail road and transportation hub. That's why you see so many semis and warehouses in the Chicago area. Yes no snow but you are comming from a A+ city to a C+ city. Also the nite life here cannot compare to Chicago. This is only my option. And also the wages and bennifits are not the same either. You make allot more in Chicago.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
Seems the national news about Chicago crime has it all wrong.

9 wounded in city shootings - chicagotribune.com

Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Seems the national news about Chicago crime has it all wrong.

9 wounded in city shootings - chicagotribune.com
Chicago has more news coverage because it's a world class city compared to Tampa and has a butt load more people living there, thats why its always in the news. But here in the Tampa area crime is high here also Trevor Martin, That guy just convected of throwing his baby out the car window, a 17 year old shot and killed outside a move theater. The x Tampa police officer killing a guy for throwing popcorn at him. Teachers having sex with students. Lakeland police scandal. So there is crime here also just not reported like Chicago because un like Chicago Tampa is small peanuts to the rest of the country. So please stop making it sound like crime dose not exist here drugs are the #1 crime and also scammers and identity theft. Also you don't see beggars or homeless people sleeping in the parks or in door ways like they have here.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,633,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Chicago has more news coverage because it's a world class city compared to Tampa and has a butt load more people living there, thats why its always in the news. But here in the Tampa area crime is high here also Trevor Martin, That guy just convected of throwing his baby out the car window, a 17 year old shot and killed outside a move theater. The x Tampa police officer killing a guy for throwing popcorn at him. Teachers having sex with students. Lakeland police scandal. So there is crime here also just not reported like Chicago because un like Chicago Tampa is small peanuts to the rest of the country. So please stop making it sound like crime dose not exist here drugs are the #1 crime and also scammers and identity theft. Also you don't see beggars or homeless people sleeping in the parks or in door ways like they have here.
What? Homeless people not sleeping in parks in Chicago? That's something new..

http://www.chicagorealestateforum.co...1/homeless.jpg

Also, Chicago has been featured as a hot bed for drugs on National Geographic's 'Drugs Inc'. Tampa hasn't..as far as I know.

"Chicago, one of the biggest open-air crack and heroin markets in America, is at saturation point. It's an addict's dream as dealers compete with high purity drugs sold in very affordable quantities. The result: record levels of overdoses and homicides as gangs fight over drug turf."

Drugs, Inc.: Windy City High | National Geographic Channel

I guess on CD, everyone can say whatever they want, however, let's stick to facts..

Old 08-01-2014, 08:51 AM

Chicago is the third largest city in the country, hell Tampa is smaller than Toledo Ohio. So Tampa is all not that. Facts are Chicago has the highest number of murders and drugs but look at the size of the city. Tampa has allot for its size. Hell Tampa did not even make the top 100 largest cities. St pete is 76 on the list. So lets put this in a larger picture Chicago will always have more crime than Tampa just because of the size of the city. Tampa is a tourist city were as Chicago is a International City of industry and finance and health care and higher learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay