Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,160,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I'm sure that's a daily pastime ... enjoy yourself outside today with a heat index of 104 - in Chicago, the heat index is 79 today. Think I'd rather be up there at a Cubs game ...
I'm used to the heat..doesn't bother me much. Actually, I dislike cold weather, so yes I'll enjoy myself outside. Be sure to turn the heater on tonight( I heard lows were/are in the 50's up there, in August???)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 12:44 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,348,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Well, Tampa was not even in the overall rankings chart, that's why.
I'm not referring to any chart. Only the QoL comparisons that you linked.

Quote:

Huh?

Denver, CO, United States 194.06

Tampa, FL, United States 200.56
What?

Denver, CO - 201.57

Tampa, FL - 200.56

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Quote:
No way Cleveland (affected severely by the recession), Buffalo (snow for much of the year), St Louis(one of the highest crime rates) have better QOL than Tampa...
So you only agree with Numbeo when Tampa is glorified?

Quote:
Tampa Bay has plenty of towns that would score higher than the city of Tampa on QOL. Add those to Tampa..you get the idea.
That's the argument for every metro in the United States.

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I'm not referring to any chart. Only the CoL index comparisons that you linked.

What?

Denver, CO - 201.57

Tampa, FL - 200.56

So you only agree with Numbeo when Tampa is glorified.

That's the argument for every metro in the United States.

I'm not trying to glorify Tampa. I just report what I see.

Seattle, WA, United States 187.49

The above appears on the "Quality of life Index" link/tab.

Your data appears at "Quality of Life Index Rate Latests". There's also a note that reads "These data are updated continuously. For historical indices, published periodically, please visit Quality of Life Index 2014 Mid Year." You get it?

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
If the people in Fl who transplanted from the North (millions) worried about the summer they wouldn't have come here in the first place. Thing is FL summers are decent. Plenty of rain, sunshine. Sure its hotter than the norm, but since its warm all the time it makes little difference to most people. The weather in FL beats the weather in the north year round. Of course you have the retired snowbird crowd. So much nicer on the roads when they arent here.

We cant swim with the Manatees in the summer because there are very few here in the summer. Its a winter activity.

Get back to me on the Chicago heat index in January.
Intangibles like familarity, friends, family, general civility, and helpfulness of people :

By familiarity you must mean "I see the same crap today that I did when I was 7"
Friends move away, die, or otherwise drift away.
Family move away, die, become people you only see a funerals.
I won't touch general civility. Civility left the NE a long time ago.
Helpfulness of the people:
A few years ago I was in Queens NY. Walked into a laundromat with a bag of clothes. Loaded them into
the machines. Didnt have enough quarters to get the 2nd machine to go. Went to the person running the place, dollars in my hand and asked "may I have some quarters?". I couldnt believe my ears but she said with a straight face "we dont have any quarters, you will have to go to a bank". No quarters in a coin op laundry that runs on quarters? Drive over to the bank. Stand on line for 20 minutes. Get to teller who is sitting there like she is going to be sick. "Hi. I would like a roll of quarters" and I put down a $10. "Do you have an account here?" "Gee. No. I am visiting from out of town and I need to the laundry". "I can't help you if you do not have an account with us"
Back to laundromat. One machine is done. The clothes are soaking wet like they never saw a spin cycle. The clothes I left in the other machine while I went to get quarters was piled in corner on a folding table. The lady running the place says "please dont tie up our machines". I took the wet laundry. I took the dry laundry and I drove around until I found a place "laundry by the pound". I had to pay double since 1/2 the clothes were soaking wet. So much for civility and helpfulness.

Another trip: Out on Long Island. The Sunrise Highway, US 27, a major road. Stores lining both sides of the street. Metered parking. It was 7:15 in the evening. I had my quarters ready. Brought an extra roll from FL.
I see a parking spot. I parked and got out. There was a woman standing in front of a hairdresser salon smoking a cigarette. I said "Hi, do we feed the meters at this time of day?". She looked at me with the most disgusted looking face I have seen in years, flicks her cigarette butt to the ground, turns around and walks back in the store. I stood there shocked at first, then I realized it. I am not in FL and strangers are programmed not to talk to strangers.

Another strike for civility and helpfulness.

Walk into a supermarket. Get your stuff. Go to register. The clerk wont even look up at you and just slides the item across the scanner, puts them in a bag, takes your money and hands you the change with out ever looking up!

You had better be stepping on that gas pedal when the light turns green. One second into a green light and there will be an assemblage of blaring car horns behind you.

Rules on the street in the Northeast:
Walk straight, walk quickly, keep your eyes looking forward and put on a glum expression.

It wasnt until I got to Manhattan that I was reminded of the protocol on the sidewalk.

Not to mention the high taxes, high prices, tired out and failing infrastructure, a hazy atmosphere, lines every where for everything. The bank, subway tokens, metrocards, supermarket, EVERYWHERE. Such a miserable existence.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,348,715 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to glorify Tampa. I just report what I see.

Seattle, WA, United States 187.49

The above appears on the "Quality of life Index" link/tab.

You're looking at "Quality of Life Index Rate Latests". There's also a note that reads "These data are updated continuously. For historical indices, published periodically, please visit Quality of Life Index 2014 Mid Year." You get it?
Tampa doesn't show up in the 2014 Mid Year table. Therefore, you were referring to the Quality of Life Index Rate Latests for Tampa and Chicago. That's the same link that shows Denver and many of the cities I mentioned having a higher QoL than Tampa (well, according to your website).

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2014 at 07:51 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Tampa doesn't show up in the 2014 Mid Year table. Therefore, you were referring to the Quality of Life Index Rate Latests for Tampa and Chicago. That's the same link that shows Denver and many of the cities I mentioned having a higher QoL than Tampa.
Denver is loaded with crime, poverty and drugs (besides pot).

Its right up there with Chicago for the worse winter weather in the country.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Tampa doesn't show up in the 2014 Mid Year table. Therefore, you were referring to the Quality of Life Index Rate Latests for Tampa and Chicago. That's the same link that shows Denver and many of the cities I mentioned having a higher QoL than Tampa.
Dude, move on..you're redundant. I could care less if Denver is NOW a point higher than Tampa in the latests. We were discussing Chicago and Tampa. You sure have an issue with Tampa like some others here. If you don't like Tampa, don't post here(no one asked you to butt in). I live in this area..

Old 08-06-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If the people in Fl who transplanted from the North (millions) worried about the summer they wouldn't have come here in the first place. Thing is FL summers are decent. Plenty of rain, sunshine. Sure its hotter than the norm, but since its warm all the time it makes little difference to most people. The weather in FL beats the weather in the north year round. Of course you have the retired snowbird crowd. So much nicer on the roads when they arent here.

We cant swim with the Manatees in the summer because there are very few here in the summer. Its a winter activity.

Intangibles like familarity, friends, family, general civility, and helpfulness of people :

By familiarity you must mean "I see the same crap today that I did when I was 7"
A few years ago I was in Queens NY. Walked into a laundromat with a bag of clothes. Loaded them into
the machines. Didnt have enough quarters to get the 2nd machine to go. Went to the person running the place, dollars in my hand and asked "may I have some quarters?". I couldnt believe my ears but she said with a straight face "we dont have any quarters, you will have to go to a bank". No quarters in a coin op laundry that runs on quarters? Drive over to the bank. Stand on line for 20 minutes. Get to teller who is sitting there like she is going to be sick. "Hi. I would like a roll of quarters" and I put down a $10. "Do you have an account here?" "Gee. No. I am visiting from out of town and I need to the laundry". "I can't help you if you do not have an account with us"
Back to laundromat. One machine is done. The clothes are soaking wet like they never saw a spin cycle. The clothes I left in the other machine while I went to get quarters was piled in corner on a folding table. The lady running the place says "please dont tie up our machines". I took the wet laundry. I took the dry laundry and I drove around until I found a place "laundry by the pound". I had to pay double since 1/2 the clothes were soaking wet. So much for civility and helpfulness.

Another trip: Out on Long Island. The Sunrise Highway, US 27, a major road. Stores lining both sides of the street. Metered parking. It was 7:15 in the evening. I had my quarters ready. Brought an extra roll from FL.
I see a parking spot. I parked and got out. There was a woman standing in front of a hairdresser salon smoking a cigarette. I said "Hi, do we feed the meters at this time of day?". She looked at me with the most disgusted looking face I have seen in years, flicks her cigarette butt to the ground, turns around and walks back in the store. I stood there shocked at first, then I realized it. I am not in FL and strangers are programmed not to talk to strangers.

Walk into a supermarket. Get your stuff. Go to register. The clerk wont even look up at you and just slides the item across the scanner, puts them in a bag, takes your money and hands you the change with out ever looking up!

You had better be stepping on that gas pedal when the light turns green. One second into a green light and there will be an assemblage of blaring car horns behind you.

Walk straight, walk quickly, keep your eyes looking forward and put on a glum expression.

It wasnt until I got to Manhattan that I was reminded of the protocol on the sidewalk.

Not to mention the high taxes, high prices, tired out and failing infrastructure, a hazy atmosphere, lines every where for everything. The bank, subway tokens, metrocards, supermarket, EVERYWHERE. Such a miserable existence.
Good post.. not a NYer but lived in the city for 7 yrs. I remember someone sliced my front tires because I parked my car too close to his driveway( I was not blocking, was probably 4-5 feet away from it). Either way you go around in circles there for hrs trying to find a parking space (parking tickets galore). Chicago is similar.

There's certain advantages to these cities if you're young, but after a few years they grow old on you. FL is a different animal despite all the issues.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Good post.. not a NYer but lived in the city for 7 yrs. I remember someone sliced my front tires because I parked my car too close to his driveway( I was not blocking, was probably 4-5 feet away from it). Either way you go around in circles there for hrs trying to find a parking space (parking tickets galore). Chicago is similar.

There's certain advantages to these cities if you're young, but after a few years they grow old on you. FL is a different animal despite all the issues.
I lived there 30 years minus 3 for military service. Yep, they will slash your tires for being an inch on "their property" but their property stops at their side of the sidewalk. How about the guys who would pull out of a spot, double park, but 2 or trash cans or orange cones in the spot and then drive away.? I cant tell you how many times my father (in the 60s and 70s) drove around the block looking for a space and winding up parking 2, 3 blocks away. I used to chuckle. I wasnt chuckling when I got a car in the 80's and did the same thing he did for years.

Big city life is a trade off. You can earn the big bucks if you have an in demand talent but you lower your quality of life standards to do that. The lines, the traffic, the taxes, the high costs of everything. Then you have living in your big city a good percentage of poor who dont get the big bucks but live across the street from you. Another shot at the quality of life when they blast music out the windows so they can hear it when they are hanging around the front of the building smoking and drinking.

I saw the difference in big city life vs. the real world when I came back from overseas. Man, it was like I came back to a different world. I was 17 when I left and barely 21 when I got back. I knew right away that I had to get out of there. I even thought about going back in to the service to get away. But life happened. After 12 years I was finally able to break the bonds and get the heck out of there.

Yeah, nothing like the big city with $100 a seat broadway shows, $12 a pack cigarettes, $12 toll to cross a bridge or use a tunnel. Paying $2.50 for a subway trip that may or may not get you to work on time and may or may not send you to the hospital or worse. There are so many benefits of living in the big city but it drains your wallet faster than a Vegas slot machine. Not to mention City tax, state tax, federal tax, unemployment tax. And then to top it all off there is winter.

You've got to be out of your mind to live that way.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:20 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,090,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

That's why a majority of northern people are called snowbirds. Live in the north in the summer. Live in Florida in the winter. We northern people can afford this because we all made a hell of allot more money up north so we can afford 2 houses. I have herd people here say rediculous that snowbirds have 2 houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay