U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:02 AM

464 posts, read 522,710 times

Advertisements

I'll be the first to say that it ain't much of a beach here in Gulfport, but parking is free to all, and Gulfportians get a free pass to park in a 'special' lot closer-in. There is a nice beach volleyball area (4 courts); I don't know if there is a cost to use them or not. It is used by some very good teams (some casual, some with uniforms), many from St. Pete and some from Tampa (in looking at their team names). We sit at Little Tommi's Tiki House's open porch and watch the volleyball matches in the evenings and on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 07:13 AM

11 posts, read 10,706 times
LOL This is quite funny to me - have you ever been to New England beaches?
"Ain't much of a beach" goes quite far in New England - the Gulf beaches are heaven.
New England beaches are pebbly, rocky and the sand is questionable.
Be thankful you're within 20 miles of them, I know I will be soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
I'll be the first to say that it ain't much of a beach here in Gulfport, but parking is free to all, and Gulfportians get a free pass to park in a 'special' lot closer-in. There is a nice beach volleyball area (4 courts); I don't know if there is a cost to use them or not. It is used by some very good teams (some casual, some with uniforms), many from St. Pete and some from Tampa (in looking at their team names). We sit at Little Tommi's Tiki House's open porch and watch the volleyball matches in the evenings and on weekends.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:22 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,559,445 times
If you drive up and down gulf blvd along the beach, you will see signs for beach access. Most have six or so free spots right next to the beach access. If one is filled just go a few blocks to the next one.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:28 AM

464 posts, read 522,710 times
I'm just trying to be honest....there are a few other posters who feel I'm a 'homer' for Gulfport, since I live here and love it so much.

Yeah, we are indeed lucky; I walk along Gulfport's beach at least twice daily...it's a 7 minute walk from my home to the O'Maddy's end of the beach.

While we aren't 'beachy' people (love to look at it, but rarely go in past my ankles), I must say Pass-A-Grill's beach is where we take guests who want a big beach.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,559,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
I'm just trying to be honest....there are a few other posters who feel I'm a 'homer' for Gulfport, since I live here and love it so much.

Yeah, we are indeed lucky; I walk along Gulfport's beach at least twice daily...it's a 7 minute walk from my home to the O'Maddy's end of the beach.

While we aren't 'beachy' people (love to look at it, but rarely go in past my ankles), I must say Pass-A-Grill's beach is where we take guests who want a big beach.

I try to get people to go to Clearwater, so pass-a-grill stays uncrowded for most days.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:06 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,426,569 times
How long is the swimming season on these beaches?

Does the water ever get too cold for the natives to swim?

(not talking about crazy snowbirds who might swim in anything above freezing).

Old 08-11-2014, 06:32 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,491,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
How long is the swimming season on these beaches?

Does the water ever get too cold for the natives to swim?

(not talking about crazy snowbirds who might swim in anything above freezing).
Maybe 2 months out of the year. Though honestly I wouldn't swim in there anyway.

Most of the year the water may as well be salty bath water

Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 AM

2,827 posts, read 3,203,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Does the water ever get too cold for the natives to swim?)
Yes.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,609,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoncalo View Post
Good Morning All

I am a young professional and my company is moving me to the Tampa area within the next 2 months, so I have been doing tons of research. I've been to the area a few times before; I will be working from home so I can live basically wherever I choose.
My question is regarding public beach access. I know some beaches like Clearwater charge for parking/beach access; up here in the Northeast (CT) if you are a resident of a town with a beach, you can get a beach access sticker/pass and you can go whenever you like for free (or deeply discounted.) Do they have this in the Tampa Bay area beaches? I ask because if this is the case I will strongly consider living in the St. Pete or Clearwater areas over Tampa so I can get a pass.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
I'll be also posting my list of chosen complexes soon so I can get opinions on them

-T
Yes we do: One is the beach pass for Fort De Soto, Sand Key Park & Howard Park $75 per year and you can either buy it through the mail, or visit the Pinellas County Botanic Gardens and buy it out right there, and the other one is for the state parks for $118+tax which you can buy at Honeymoon Island.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 AM

1,402 posts, read 2,499,897 times
There is often plenty of street parking on the side streets east of Gulf Blvd on Indian Rocks Beach except if there is something major going on by the Beach Park (around 17th Ave). Indian Rocks/Indian Shores has some parking on gulf blvd at the narrows, easy access to beach for any of above.
There is a small beach park opposite Indian Shores beach at the Park Blvd Bridge, ( believe that is free of charge at the moment)
Clearwater can be a headache in busy times, and parking can be pricey. Most of the public beaches have a beach park (parking/toilets/showers) either beach side or over the road.
None of it needs a parking pass really. The Fort de Soto and similar parks with annual passes are not really that necessary unless you really want to be there on a regular basis - it is lovely though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or