Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 AM

11 posts, read 12,787 times

Advertisements

Good Morning All

I am a young professional and my company is moving me to the Tampa area within the next 2 months, so I have been doing tons of research. I've been to the area a few times before; I will be working from home so I can live basically wherever I choose.
My question is regarding public beach access. I know some beaches like Clearwater charge for parking/beach access; up here in the Northeast (CT) if you are a resident of a town with a beach, you can get a beach access sticker/pass and you can go whenever you like for free (or deeply discounted.) Do they have this in the Tampa Bay area beaches? I ask because if this is the case I will strongly consider living in the St. Pete or Clearwater areas over Tampa so I can get a pass.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
I'll be also posting my list of chosen complexes soon so I can get opinions on them

-T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 09:35 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Ironically, Tampa "BAY" doesn't really have beaches. The closest are in Clearwater/St. Pete or south in Sarasota. We lived in Florida for 42 years; starting in Tampa (7-yrs), Kissimmee (4-5 yrs), Satellite Beach/Melbourne (27 years. We've now lived in Destin (Panhandle) for the past 3-years. Satellite Beach on the East Coast is our favorite. It is far less congested than Tampa, plus has better beaches.

Since you can live wherever you want in Florida, why limit yourself to the Tampa Bay area?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:53 AM

Hi there, thanks for responding.
I should have been more specific. My company is moving me specifically to the Tampa metro area because I will be managing that region.
I'm aware that Tampa proper doesn't really have 'beaches' persay; I was speaking more about the entire Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater metro area.

THANKS

Old 08-08-2014, 10:11 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
I certainly don't agree that any beach on the east coast of Florida can compare with the likes of Siesta Key, Pass-A-Grille, etc. Not even close and I grew up on Atlantic waters...only advantage they could possibly have is a little cooler temperature during certain times of year.

As far as your question, I am not sure because each town along the Gulf (there are many) may have their own rules but a lot of it IS paid parking...whether through lots or meters. Down further south around Anna Marie/Siesta Key, there are plenty of free areas to pull off and park. Beach around Pinellas are just too congested and crowded for free parking areas...

Old 08-08-2014, 10:31 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,307 times
I haven't heard of any parking passes. It's first come first serve.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:55 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,433 times
Frequently Asked Questions - Parking System

Quote:
Q: Can City of Clearwater residents purchase annual parking permits to park in the beach lots?

A: Yes, residents within the incorporated City of Clearwater limits may purchase a $75 annual parking permit that is valid in four (4) select north Clearwater Beach lots and also at the Courtney Campbell Causeway lot. Proof of residency is required. Please call (727) 562-4704 for more information.
Madeira Beach offers free parking passes to residents, Treasure Island offers paid passes to residents for $40, and St. Pete Beach offers residential parking permits in certain areas. I'm not sure if other cities on the Gulf offer the same thing, but you might want to check their websites or give their parking offices a call.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:04 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,359 times
Even if you do have to pay, what is it, like $1.50 an hour? Big whoop.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:15 AM

Thanks, Occifer for answering my question!
Mateo & Chute, thanks, but no thanks. I guess you don't understand the benefit of being a resident of a beach community.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:23 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Some of the beaches like Pass A Grille have a few spaces that are free for anybody! Residents of any area can also buy a season pass for Pinellas beaches for a low amount.These will give you access to any Pinellas beach area.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:28 AM

Thanks Annie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay