U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 04:24 PM

40 posts, read 40,867 times

Advertisements

We are looking to start a banking relationship soon and being new to the are we would like some suggestions please. We have not used credit unions but are open to all options right now. So who do you like and why or not and why? We are in the Disston Hights area if that is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 06:54 PM

515 posts, read 1,142,929 times
There's not much of a "relationship" between banks and their customers anymore unless the customer has very large amounts of money in the bank. Credit unions are good if you really only want to have a checking account, safe deposit box, and access to loans with good interest rates if need be. Many banks have done away with no strings attached free checking, while most credit unions still offer that. If you're going to start a trust or use the bank for other investment products a bank will likely treat you differently than if all you're looking for is a checking account.

Don't discount online banking that is offered by companies like Fidelity Investments and USAA. They have free, interest bearing checking accounts, allow you to deposit checks online, and reimburse you for ATM fees at any ATM in the United States. You aren't going to have a brick and mortar branch to go to, but many people never need to actually go to the bank anymore.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:20 AM

464 posts, read 522,161 times
I know everyone hates BOA, but we travel a lot both in and out of the country and their relationships with foreign banks has come in handy. I've had at least 3 problems with ATMs outside the US (money never spit out of the machine), BOA always reversed the charges quickly. We never pay any fees to BOA since we have a MM there as well as checking; they even give us a free safety deposit box.

When we bought our home here and sold a house in AZ in the past 5 months, BOA was easy to deal with on the wire transfers; we went in person to the South Pasadena branch and staff/manager seemed very on top of things. We did have a kerfluffle over foreign wire transfers about 5 years ago (BOA is very strict about them). We almost had to fly back to the US to fix it; but in the end the AZ branch manager made it right for us, going out of her way to make it happen.

I have a CU account back in VA, but rarely use it since their network for deposits isn't as broad as BOA's.

We rarely go inside a bank. All our bills are e-bills, we never use cash, just credit cards (for miles with airlines). I rarely write a check. BOA's auto pay works well, for things like the local lawn care guy who doesn't take cc's and doesn't send e-bills; I set up an automatic monthly check that BOA sends him, I don't even pay the postage!

Last edited by gulfporter; 08-10-2014 at 04:39 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 AM

2,827 posts, read 3,199,468 times
I've had Suncoast CU forever, no complaints here so far.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:49 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,488,210 times
Grow Financial bro. I have nothing but great things to say about this bank!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or