U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:06 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,671,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Seems like you can draw a 10-20 mile circle round Tampa and have bad traffic anywhere within that radius - but SR 60 seems to be stop and go especially during certain times of day (rush hour, lunch).
The difference between Tampa and Brandon is that Tampa has many more options than just 60 or Lumsden. Brandon really wasn't thinking when they planned their roads.

And as far as Brandon itself goes, you will be told it is the best thing since sliced bread, get there, and be let down. It's not a big city, it's nothing close to what Tampa is, the traffic is terrible, and I found it to be pretty redneck in the three years I was there.

As for the crime, you can sit outside the Burlington on 60 and enjoy a sandwich while waiting for someone to go running out with a baby stroller full of stolen merchandise. It's not unusually to see a cop parked outside, waiting. If that thrill of theft doesn't get your goat, you can walk around that parking lot looking for heroin needles that have been discarded. None there? That's ok! Check out Parsons, usually in front of the Wal-Greens at 60. Ready for some real fun? Get closer to Seffner. As a matter of fact, go into the Wal-Marts that are in and around Seffner. And I'm pretty sure the people on here work days, and I hope you do too.. As at night, 60 becomes a nightmare. I worked at the Target in front of the mall a few years back, and had no car, so I walked. I got stopped by a cop every day for a week straight because I "matched a description" of a thief who broke into one of the many, fine retail shops along the way. Wait until the Holiday season where you wont need lights on 60, because the lights of cop cars illuminate the street.

Honestly, is the crime worse than it is in Tampa? No. Nowhere close. The difference being that, in Tampa, it's pretty spread out. In Brandon it's pretty well contained to a few select areas. However, if I wanted to live in the "Tampa Bay Area," I'd just move to Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:39 PM

367 posts, read 396,177 times
Wow..
Not sure where some people are getting their info from. We've never had a problem in Brandon. No random needles, no people running by with stolen merchandise, or even any heavy police activity.

Brandon is a nice place.
No major issues and close to everything you will need.

Brandon Blvd does get some traffic during the rush hours, but its all relative
For the area its busy, if you come from a large city, it probably not really noticeable. Coming from Miami, I don't really have much of an issue.. while slow, it constantly moves. Not like it's deadlocked.

And outside of the rush hours, there isn't much traffic anyways except near the mall area during holidays and such... and even then, if your not going into the mall it's still moving. (Now getting into/out of the mall, you're on your own... that's why I shop early or online)

Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 AM

747 posts, read 1,574,552 times
I don't know about crime, but I pass through Brandon very often and stop there for shopping and getting my car serviced.

It is CRAZY crowded. It is insane how crowded it is. You can't go anywhere without being in a line of cars. The 4 way intersections are a joke. The traffic lights take at least 3 minutes to change to green because of the turning lanes. The houses are packed very close together.

However, some areas like Bloomingdale are very nice and not as crowded. Areas south of Brandon are less crowded and nice. As long as you stay away from 60, you should be good. A lot of traffic spills over to Lumsden which is 3 lanes each direction and then merges to two then to one lane. That's always fun. One convenient thing about the west side of Brandon is the it's proximity to the Selmon parkway which is a nice way to get to Downtown Tampa, McDill, and St. Pete. However, those areas are getting very crowded and they are putting up mutli-occupancy dwellings in the area.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-16-2014, 09:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times
It seems things are shifting toward Riverview from Brandon - problem with Brandon is that there is little or no community development. To me SR 60 represents Brandon and it is a big eyesore - nothing attractive about a strip of fast food, gas stations, mom and pop auto, etc. I try not to venture on SR 60 unless absolutely necessary.....but areas south of the Westfield Mall are more attractive and newer looking and I think is still considered part of Brandon or maybe Riverview - Causeway Blvd Areas.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 AM

45 posts, read 36,216 times
I have worked in Brandon for about 6 years but live elsewhere. I think there are many better places to reside in the Tampa Bay area than Brandon. Just my opinion.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:49 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,671,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
Wow..
Not sure where some people are getting their info from. We've never had a problem in Brandon. No random needles, no people running by with stolen merchandise, or even any heavy police activity.
I'm pretty sure my original post told you EXACTLY where to find these things. Just because YOU've never seen it doesn't mean it's not there. Personally, I've never seen anyone's house get broken into, does that mean it never happens?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:57 AM

367 posts, read 396,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I'm pretty sure my original post told you EXACTLY where to find these things. Just because YOU've never seen it doesn't mean it's not there. Personally, I've never seen anyone's house get broken into, does that mean it never happens?
Yes you did state EXACTLY. At Burlington Coat Factory... and its right by the Publix, and Lee's House, which is a pretty good Chinese food place, and Arby's (I'm one of the few people I know that likes Arby's.. and their curly fries are THE BEST.)

So I've been in that area many times... and that parking lot. Again, no needles... and no one running with a "baby stroller full of stolen merchandise" which you stated is a very common occurrence ("enjoy a sandwich while waiting for someone to go running out with a baby stroller full of stolen merchandise)

Old 10-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
Wow..
A local neighbor just told me that his Honda was stolen was he was shopping in Brandon......can you believe that?

Old 10-29-2014, 02:23 PM

what's with all this thievery in Brandon? maybe these chicks took the Honda as well......

Sheriff: Women stole $4,200 in purses from Westfield Brandon mall | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

Old 10-30-2014, 04:08 AM

349 posts, read 211,945 times
The traffic on 60 is the absolute worst. Worse than Dale Mabry and New Tampa combined. Is there a way to avoid 60? I was looking at houses in Brandon and Valrico, but, the prospect of having to be stuck in car exhaust on 60, prompts me to not consider this area for moving.

Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or