U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I agree. As with many things, it depends on what you are looking for and what you are accustomed to. We are no NY and for me, that is a good thing. For others, it is a bad thing.
If its NY you want that is where you need to go. There is no Tampa's in all of new york state.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:59 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,780,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If its NY you want that is where you need to go. There is no Tampa's in all of new york state.
I totally agree. I hate it when people try to make us NY.....or at least want to.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 PM

733 posts, read 1,294,633 times
I'd rather live in Tampa than Orlando 100%, but I'd rather live in St. Pete than either of them.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:45 PM

5,149 posts, read 2,956,447 times
Orlando- hotter in summer, no beach, no boating.

Miami- no hablo inglease.(sp)

Ft Liquordale if you want bars.

Tampa- OK to visit, but I want to be in Pinellas.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:59 AM

232 posts, read 238,574 times
gjosephunf has summed up the area very well, IMO.

The Tampa Bay area as a whole has something for everyone. Big city, little city, small towns, beach towns, and well as rural.

Traffic is bad in all of Florida population centers, so live near your job. In your free time, drive to your fun places.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:45 AM

433 posts, read 864,799 times
The underlying question still remains though. Is it really true Orlando has more to do? If you take out the theme parks i doubt it. Yes the downtown district at night is very cool but it is somewhat limited. It's mostly small bars with college kids. Then there are several very small lounges/clubs. Other than that there are maybe 5 or 6 larger club/bars.

The Tampa area pound for pound has all of this and maybe more, difference is that it's spread out. So once you tire of ybor you have to pick a spot and drive there and if you don't like it your in trouble. Big deal. Also Tampa area has THE BEACH. There are clearly more variety of jobs and some of them have better pay. There is also more of an outdoor activity scene there. People living in Tampa seem to be more mature and down to earth than Orlando though i might be wrong on that one. In fact maybe that is what the issue is. Maybe the issue is the people and so many of these places to go arn't fun to go to?? Maybe these things to do are not really good things to do?? Not sure.

I get that Tampa is not New York and i'm glad about that, that's not the question. If i wanted to have no money and watch everybody else do things i'd live in New York. What I'm asking is why so many people view Tampa as boring compared to Orlando. I mean Tampa has festivals, 3 sports teams, music artists play there before they play in Orlando. I'd suspect there's more of a live music scene because Orlando doesn't really have that, maybe sometimes in the tourist area's but that's it. To me on paper it seems if you take into account the entire area it has as much if not more going for it than Orlando and if you take out the theme parks (which are for kids) it seems that Tampa BEATS Orlando on things to do entertainment and TIES on nightlife. I do agree the nightlife in Orlando is more convenient but there's just not too much variety. All venues are pretty much the same. You got college kids and pretentious locals who hate everyone moving here and think they live in Miami. I actually prefer the nightlife at citywalk but most of the time it's overpriced and hit or miss.

We got HOB sunday night but really not too much going mon and tue in this city. We got 2 places worth going Wednesday. Thu-Sat is more than solid.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 08-16-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Orlando and the area has a lot of museums, lakes, and parks. The bar scene is not for everyone especially the more mature crowd. Orlando/area has excellent restaurants, small clubs, music venues.

What jobs are found in Tampa that are not in Orlando, besides maritime trades?

Orlando is surely less industrial than Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
The underlying question still remains though. Is it really true Orlando has more to do? If you take out the theme parks i doubt it. Yes the downtown district at night is very cool but it is somewhat limited. It's mostly small bars with college kids. Then there are several very small lounges/clubs. Other than that there are maybe 5 or 6 larger club/bars.

The Tampa area pound for pound has all of this and maybe more, difference is that it's spread out. So once you tire of ybor you have to pick a spot and drive there and if you don't like it your in trouble. Big deal. Also Tampa area has THE BEACH. There are clearly more variety of jobs and some of them have better pay. There is also more of an outdoor activity scene there. People living in Tampa seem to be more mature and down to earth than Orlando though i might be wrong on that one. In fact maybe that is what the issue is. Maybe the issue is the people and so many of these places to go arn't fun to go to?? Maybe these things to do are not really good things to do?? Not sure.

I get that Tampa is not New York and i'm glad about that, that's not the question. I'm asking why so many people view it not as boring compared to Orlando. I mean Tampa has festivals, 3 sports teams, music artists play there before they play in Orlando. I'd suspect there's more of a live music scene because Orlando doesn't really have that, maybe sometimes in the tourist area's but that's it. So why is Tampa viewed as boring as compared to Orlando? That's what i don't understand. To me on paper it seems if you take into account the area it has as much if not more going for it than Orlando and if you take out the theme parks (which are for kids) it seems that Tampa BEATS Orlando on things to do entertainment and TIES on nightlife. I do agree the nightlife in Orlando is more convenient but there's just not too much variety. All venues are pretty much the same. You got college kids and pretentious locals who hate everyone moving here and think they live in Miami. I actually prefer the nightlife at citywalk but most of the time it's overpriced and hit or miss.

We got HOB sunday night but really not too much going mon and tue in this city. We got 2 places worth going Wednesday. Thu-Sat is more than solid.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Orlando and the area has a lot of museums, lakes, and parks. The bar scene is not for everyone especially the more mature crowd. Orlando/area has excellent restaurants, small clubs, music venues.

What jobs are found in Tampa that are not in Orlando, besides maritime trades?

Orlando is surely less industrial than Tampa.
I think Tampa has more museum type stuff. It has the ocean and some of the countries best beaches and I may be wrong but it seems that it has all the bars and clubs that Orlando would have except they are not necessarily all in the same place.

The nightlife scene is mostly going to be for people under 30. There are only a couple spots for a mixed crowd and they are no better than spots you may find in a small town. Tampa seems to score better in this regard. They got places for the college kids but more mixed crowd places as well. I like to socialize with people 25-45 but will socialize with anyone who is friendly. The college kids are cool to hang out with from time to time but are on a whole other planet than me. They are all pumped up because they are in Florida with all this stuff to do and just not very down to earth or personable and have massive ADHD.

Jobs? There are way more professional and good paying jobs in Tampa. Orlando has a little bit of everything but every time i go to job hunt Tampa there are companies there that are not here. I work in the insurance and cell phone industries. Orlando has a little bit here and a little bit there but the majority of the jobs here to related to tourism. Not as much for a professional business orientated office person.

Orlando has an energy to it that you don't find in Tampa though, that's why i chose it over Tampa area when i went to visit. Im more down to earth now though and have been to St Pete a couple times and enjoyed it and realized how big Ybor district is and how the job market is stronger. I also miss the beach. So i'm trying to figure out why Tampa gets bashed. I think if i was 21 i'd pick Miami or Orlando yeah -- but i'm not.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 08-16-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 12:33 PM

It depends on who is making the decision after weighing the pros and cons of any city against any other city. For some the table tilts to one side faster than another. All the bars and clubs in Orlando are not in the same place though there are concentrated areas. Only 20 percent of all jobs in the Orlando metro are tourism related. The two cities are different from each other and that is why the choice is important.
As far as bashing one place or the other that is just person opinion and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I think Tampa has more museum type stuff. It has the ocean and some of the countries best beaches and I may be wrong but it seems that it has all the bars and clubs that Orlando would have except they are not necessarily all in the same place.

The nightlife scene is mostly going to be for people under 30. There are only a couple spots for a mixed crowd and they are no better than spots you may find in a small town. Tampa seems to score better in this regard. They got places for the college kids but more mixed crowd places as well. I like to socialize with people 25-45. The college kids are cool to hang out with from time to time but are on a whole other planet than me. They are all pumped up because they are in Florida with all this stuff to do and just not very down to earth or personable and have massive ADHD.

Jobs? There are way more professional and good paying jobs in Tampa. Orlando has a little bit of everything but every time i go to job hunt Tampa there are companies there that are not here. I work in the insurance and cell phone industries. Orlando has a little bit here and a little bit there but the majority of the jobs here to related to tourism. Not as much for a professional business orientated office person.

Orlando has an energy to it that you don't find in Tampa though, that's why i chose it over Tampa area when i went to visit. Im more down to earth now though and have been to St Pete a couple times and enjoyed it and realized how big Ybor district is and how the job market is stronger. I also miss the beach. So i'm trying to figure out why Tampa gets bashed. I think if i was 21 i'd pick Miami or Orlando yeah -- but i'm not.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
It depends on who is making the decision after weighing the pros and cons of any city against any other city. For some the table tilts to one side faster than another. All the bars and clubs in Orlando are not in the same place though there are concentrated areas. Only 20 percent of all jobs in the Orlando metro are tourism related. The two cities are different from each other and that is why the choice is important.
As far as bashing one place or the other that is just person opinion and nothing else.
I'm currently job hunting in Orlando and in Tampa and keep finding better jobs in Tampa so that's where my perspective is coming from. I also have had a hard time finding bars with anyone over 25 besides the theme park area's where it's overpriced and hit or miss. I would love to stay in Orlando if i could it's just easier but if i get a good job in Tampa i can't see how i would be less happy, in fact it seems i might be happier especially with the beaches there. Really the whole point of this post is to consider anything i might be missing because when people ask where to move to in Florida it just seems a lot of people say Orlando or Miami and Tampa is like a side note.

"Also you might like Tampa it has nice beaches"

Like an after thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or