Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times

Advertisements

I am far away from Politics, but can someone explain to me in few sentences what this paratrooper was doing in Afghanistan? Who he was fighting against/for?

Don't get me wrong, my prays are with his loved ones. It's just sad when young lives are lost for any reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 10:22 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I am far away from Politics, but can someone explain to me in few sentences what this paratrooper was doing in Afghanistan? Who he was fighting against/for?

Don't get me wrong, my prays are with his loved ones. It's just sad when young lives are lost for any reason.
Sure. I'll help. On September 11, 2001, several members of Al Qaeda collaborated to kill thousands of innocent Americans by flying a jet airliner into the World Trade Center, into the Pentagon, and into a field in Pennsylvania (intended for the White House or U.S.Capitol?).

These Al Qaeda terrorists trained extensively in Afghanistan and were led by Osama Bin Laden. The leadership of the United States vowed to track OBL down and eradicate Al Qaeda from Afghanistan while leaving some semblance of a democratic government in Afghanistan so as to never have a terrorist group arise out of the country gain. The previous Afghan government was led by the Taliban who killed opposition including women and children and are continuing to battle United States Forces throughout Afghanistan.

President Obama has vowed to cut and run in 2016 regardless of what state of anarchy Afghanistan will be in. However until then, our Soldiers like SFC Leggett continue to fight on behalf of our country and unfortunately lost his life in the process.

Just a side note, the (ISIS Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) terrorists are thought to be even more heinous than Al Qaeda and have formed to take over parts of Iraq, Syria and are looking to take over the entire Middle East region over time and have become another enemy that our gov't has to deal with like they did with Al Qaeda an the Taliban.
They recently decapitated an American journalist when the United States didn't pay a ransom of over $140 million. They regularly slaughter children and people in the region who are Christian.

I tell you this, because although Pres Obama is intent on leaving Afghanistan, the elected 2016 United States President will likely be given the responsibility to tackle ISIS problem he's inheriting. Doesn't look like we will be clear from war for a long, long time.

Last edited by BucFan; 08-25-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 AM

Well, it was more than couple sentences.
When this 13 year old terrorism hunt will be over? How many American troopers need to be killed? And why no other countries are fighting these terrorists but the US?

Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
And why no other countries are fighting these terrorists but the US?

You're very mistaken about other countries not being involved in the fight.

Number of killed in Afghanistan
USA: 2,234*
UK: 453
Canada: 158
France: 88
Germany: 57
Italy: 53
Denmark: 43
Poland: 43
Australia: 41
Spain: 34*
Georgia: 29
Netherlands: 25
Romania: 23
Turkey: 14
New Zealand: 11
Czech Republic: 10
Norway: 10
Estonia: 9
Hungary: 7
Sweden: 5
Latvia: 4
Slovakia: 3
Finland: 2
Jordan: 2
Portugal: 2
South Korea: 2
Albania: 1
Belgium: 1
Lithuania: 1
Montenegro: 1

Old 08-25-2014, 10:49 AM

USA is leading by a lot... Look how many US citizens were killed compare to other countries and tell me it's not the US fight and war...

Old 08-25-2014, 10:49 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Well, it was more than couple sentences.
When this 13 year old terrorism hunt will be over? How many American troopers need to be killed? And why no other countries are fighting these terrorists but the US?
Lemme take a stab at this:

"When this 13 year old terrorism hunt will be over?" When Washington stops stirring up, creating and arming terrorists. Alternatively, when the First Congressional Battalion is assigned to be the first "boots on the ground" in any military action.

" How many American troopers need to be killed?" Not sure on this one. You'd have to find out what numbers the CEOs of the war contracting companies (and bankers) need to hit to get their bonuses.

"And why no other countries are fighting these terrorists but the US?" Well now. I think it has something to do with NATO and some sort of international treaties that bind the US (via Washington) to provide defense for European nations.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 AM

US trooper was killed in Afghanistan war between Afghanistan and the US. Am I the only one who was not surprised people are getting killed in wars?

Old 08-25-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
USA is leading by a lot... Look how many US citizens were killed compare to other countries and tell me it's not the US fight and war...
The United States of American was the country attacked by Al Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden.

Do you expect differently?

I highly recommend you watch the documentary http://www.pbs.org/thewar/ especially the first hour. Our country comes to the aid of other nations to support democracy. That's in our DNA. See what can happen when you leave someone like Hitler unchecked. ISIS, Al Qaeda, The Taliban terrorists are organizations that you don't allow to go unchecked.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The United States of American was the country attacked by Al Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden.

Do you expect differently?

I highly recommend you watch the documentary THE WAR | PBS especially the first hour. Our country comes to the aid of other nations to support democracy. That's in our DNA. See what can happen when you leave someone like Hitler unchecked. ISIS, Al Qaeda, The Taliban terrorists are organizations that you don't allow to go unchecked.
I don't have spare time to watch something like that.
There are other theories about 9/11 causes and not all of them support your opinion.
Big money are involved here besides something else. And somebody really benefits here.
According to Wiki, The total cost from inception to the fiscal year 2011 was expected to be $468 billion. The estimate for the cost of deploying one U.S. soldier in Afghanistan is over US$1 million a year. Just think about it. And then think about the US economy and what it faced within last 13 years...
2200+ US troopers were killed...

Old 08-25-2014, 11:19 AM

To think that our country would allow Al Qaeda to get away with what they did to our country makes me ill. And it scares me to think that anyone that lives in our country would tolerate the slaughtering innocent Americans like they did on 9/11. Makes me absolutely nauseous to know there are Americans who wouldn't want to defend the country against such acts and throw out some whackjob theory about who caused the terror acts.

Believe it or not, in the 1940s there were Americans who wanted to appease Hitler and pretend what he was doing Europe wasn't evil. This same thought that Al Qaeda wasn't responsible for 9/11 is just unbelievable to me.

I tried to explain the war to you (you're welcome)- sure wish I did't get into this discussion as my BP is probably about 220/150.

Ignorance is bliss, as they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: