Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,983 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating and have spent all weekend house hunting. I've found houses I like in hunters green, arbor green and seven oaks. My research shows Benito and Wharton are just so so while the schools for Seven Oaks seem much better. Can anyone who lives in these areas with kids in these schools share their opinions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
If you see how many communities are zoned for Wharton like Grand Hampton, Live Oaks, cross creek, etc. than I doubt the school can be bad.

Some people like a new build school since it looks nicer from the outside but that to me is not as important as the level of education.

The grading that school are getting nowadays can be seen on the website where it list all schools for each county.

Depending if you child takes AP, honor and/or dual enrollment makes the child have a different experience than if the child is in regular courses since overall kids in the advanced courses are more motivated and that reflects on others with the same motivation, but of course not every child is capable of taking these courses and than it also comes down to which teacher.

My child was in Wesley Chapel HS and accepted into 9 universities and got a full ride for a business degree for 3 years instead of 4 years while some people don't like WCHS. Our experience was great.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:48 PM

64 posts, read 109,613 times
Actually Seven Oaks (unless it has changed recently) is zones for John Long and Wiregrass, not Wesley Chapel.

Wiregrass has a huge battle with overpopulation due to kids "sneaking" into the school. A lot that have been "caught" have been from Hillsborough. Whether this is because it is a better school or because they simply want to go to school an hour less each day is up for you to decide. They did a huge purge a few years ago and that helped, but it is building back up again. It is difficult to get school choice for Wiregrass.

I have one that just graduated Wiregrass. He loved it. I have one that is now a Freshman at WCHS and she hates it. But it is only going on week two, so it is too early to tell. (My kids can pick because of my address and their father's address.)

Old 08-25-2014, 05:11 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
I'm aware that Seven Oaks is zoned for Wiregrass but for the last couple of years the rezoning has taken place a couple of times which made our area change from Wesley Chapel high School to Wiregrass HS and than back again and we requested school choice years before for Middle school to go to Weightman instead of John Long and that was granted.

When HS time came around we requested school choice again and that was also granted and that saved our child from being from one school to another although we didn't know that at the time of the request.

We requested it due to many kids we knew were trouble and indeed these kids were all kicked out of Wiregrass so that issue was solved for the school as well and all school deal with some rotten apples, unfortunately.

I have heard of many people being happy with any school while others have a different opinion which clearly makes it to be about how the child feels and who the teachers are.

The only one I never heard anything negative about is Steinbrenner and that is why many people try to buy in that school zone and all realtors always clearly state on the listings that Steinbrenner is the assigned school.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,765,428 times
Wiregrass High School hands down is the best of these three (comparing to Wesley Chapel High and Wharton High). The same is true for John Long Middle - it's one of the strongest middle school here and Benito is nothing even close.

But if you are looking into Seven Oaks or any new communities around Seven Oaks, and your kids are far away from middle or high schools, watch for rezoning. John Long and Wiregrass both over their capacity and Pasco County school District is looking into this problem. There were some discussions regarding addition of new schools, so it possible. If your kids are in Middle school now, there is nothing to worry about.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 3,983 times
The house we love the most is in Arbor Greene. Anyone have kids that go to Benito and Wharton? Any issues? Are they safe good schools? I know they are rated A but not so great on greatschools.org. Wanting to hear from parents whose kids go there.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:39 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,765,428 times
Wharton HS is 5 out of 10 and Wiregrass HS is 8 out of 10 on Zillow. Something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay