Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

In my time in NYC we had Consolidated Edison for electricity, New York Telephone, Brooklyn Union Gas to name a few of the big utility companies. Basically, you needed to have someone in the company referring you to a job or you had to be a graduate of one of their approved training schools or graduate of their in house training program. They never advertised their job openings publicly yet they each had thousands of employees. I would think FPL, Duke Energy, Verizon, et al are also hard to get into.

I am not aware of any state where you can get $50k a year without skilled training or education and experience.

The job market in the entire U.S. is difficult for those without skills. With so many people wanting a particular job only the best qualified person is going to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
TECO is NOT easy to get into. They pay well and they have the pick of the lot when jobs come open. We do have a Shipyard in the area as well.

There are jobs here that are more than service industry. We have some major companies that do business around the globe. Many on here are stuck on the no to low paying job rhetoric (and yes, it gets old). But they bring something to the table in the fact that without skilled training or education (and some experience) it is not easy to walk into a 50K per year job.

Maybe look at remaining up there for now. Have you and the Spouse get the training you need there and get some experience before the move.

No fault for wanting to live down here. It's a great place with many pluses. But there are negatives too. One major negative being the job market without any type of skill.

GREAT POINT BY THE POSTER - RIGHT TO WORK VS ANTI UNION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 10:48 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There are more than 20 steel mill companies in FL. They make steel in FL.

FL is a "right to work state" not a anti union state.

FL has a very extensive rail freight system.

There are jobs with pensions, health care etc.

Lavender has the must useful advice in this thread.

The COL difference between St. Louis and Tampa is pretty small.

Salary in St. Louis: $50,000 comparable salary in Tampa, FL $49,760

Price difference in Tampa, FL

Groceries 3%less
Housing 6%more
Utilities 15%less
Transportation 1%more
Health Care 6%less
Maybe the OP can post her husbands hourly wage and we can compare that with a Florida steel mill wage. I looked up Gerdau on Glassdoor and it looks like their pay is around $18-23hr with helpers making $13-14hr. It appears they don't offer a pension or free health benefits, which are almost unheard of these days.

My company has an office in St Louis and there is no COLA there compared to Chicago, Raleigh, and even Tampa. I don't have first hand experience with living in St Louis, but I've heard housing is dirt cheap. In the Tampa Bay area you have to move to Hernando, Pasco, Polk and undesirable areas of Hillsborough Counties to find cheap housing.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Maybe the OP can post her husbands hourly wage and we can compare that with a Florida steel mill wage. I looked up Gerdau on Glassdoor and it looks like their pay is around $18-23hr with helpers making $13-14hr. It appears they don't offer a pension or free health benefits, which are almost unheard of these days.

My company has an office in St Louis and there is no COLA there compared to Chicago, Raleigh, and even Tampa. I don't have first hand experience with living in St Louis, but I've heard housing is dirt cheap. In the Tampa Bay area you have to move to Hernando, Pasco, Polk and undesirable areas of Hillsborough Counties to find cheap housing.
Here is what one employee says
Yard Helper (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FL – April 26, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: time clock policy
Excellent company to work for. Benefits and pay are the best you can find

and another.....

Fabricator (Former Employee), Decatur, IL – July 9, 2014
Met alot of great people. Incentive check each month. Benefits second to none

I am glad that we get some people here on CD that give their story about their relocation and they find FL to be the place for them. Of course human nature causes us to yell, scream and complain about anything that makes us unhappy but we rarely make any comment when things are making them happy.

There are many areas outside the Tampa boundries that are fantastic places to live and are certainly desirable.

Chasing that dollar isnt going to get you happiness. Your surroundings and environment will certainly help.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:35 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post

You are high on drugs. My brother hauled steel for a living there are no steel mills in Florida. You always think florid is the greatest state to live. We're are these mills located.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
You are high on drugs. My brother hauled steel for a living there are no steel mills in Florida. You always think florid is the greatest state to live. We're are these mills located.

Here ya go genius.... Steel Mills in Miami, Florida with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Florida is a great state to live. Greatest? Depends on your likes and dislikes.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Here ya go genius.... Steel Mills in Miami, Florida with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Florida is a great state to live. Greatest? Depends on your likes and dislikes.
These are steel fabricators they do not produce raw steel like a steel milk dose out if iron oar. These places in Florida do not have blast furnaces. Look up the differance between steel fabrication and steel making. All the steel mills I know are up north in Pittsburg, illionis, Gary Indiana, and Detroit. All union plants. Please know the differance between raw steel from steel that has been made and has to be fabricated into something. And rebarb steel is for concrete reinforcement. Like I said my brother hauled steel from the mills, and he never once hauled a coil of steel from a Florida steel mill. And he has been to them all over 25 yrs. in the business. He belonged to teamster local 299 Jimmy Hoffa's old local.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:07 PM

That link was for one city. Miami. There are mini-mills in FL that actually produce steel. Your statement that there are no steel companies in FL is incorrect.

Quote:
These are steel fabricators they do not produce raw steel like a steel milk dose out if iron oar. These places in Florida do not have blast furnaces. Look up the differance between steel fabrication and steel making. All the steel mills I know are up north in Pittsburg, illionis, Gary Indiana, and Detroit. All union plants. Please know the differance between raw steel from steel that has been made and has to be fabricated into something. And rebarb steel is for concrete reinforcement. Like I said my brother hauled steel from the mills, and he never once hauled a coil of steel from a Florida steel mill. And he has been to them all over 25 yrs. in the business. He belonged to teamster local 299 Jimmy Hoffa's old local.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
That link was for one city. Miami. There are mini-mills in FL that actually produce steel. Your statement that there are no steel companies in FL is incorrect.
If there are mini mills like you say they will not pay what this guy is getting now. Maybe you like living paycheck to paycheck but I don't think many do. Think about it $25 to $26 an hour plus full medical and a retirement. You tell me what industry here in your great state of Florida has those type of bennifit's and pay.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
If there are mini mills like you say they will not pay what this guy is getting now. Maybe you like living paycheck to paycheck but I don't think many do. Think about it $25 to $26 an hour plus full medical and a retirement. You tell me what industry here in your great state of Florida has those type of bennifit's and pay.
money, money, money. There is more to life.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Mine does, but I'm Union and a dying breed in Florida. The retirement plan offered to new hires is considerably less than when I started, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay