U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Possible job relocation to Tampa, seeking advice from Tampa residents on best neighborhoods with 500k to 750k homes, sports teams, youthful or retirement focused culture, political climate

Old 12-26-2007, 12:19 PM

25 posts, read 207,836 times

Advertisements

I may be offered a job soon in Tampa. I just finished a very strong interview and got some great feedback. The company's office is located off 589 near the International Plaza and Bay Street -- which is also near Tampa International Airport. Sounds like a plum location to work, esp. since I will be traveling outside of the US a lot on business.

There are a couple of items I need to get clarification on -- I would like feedback from current Tampa residents (especially Midwest transplants) regarding whether the information I have or perhaps even my preconceived notions about Tampa are accurate.

Here we go......

1) Tampa seems to me -- from afar -- to be very much like "San Diego East". For anyone who has lived in or traveled to San Diego, is that an accurate assessment of the aesthetics and overall lifestyle in the Tampa area?

2) Where are the best neighboorhoods for homes that run from perhaps $500K to $750K that would be within a short distance of work, good public school systems, near major retail, restaurants, entertainment venues, etc.? I'm hearing about a neighborhood called "Cory Lake Isles".... any feedback on that development? Is it near the airport? I want to puchase a detached, single-family home, not a condo or apartment. On the water, on a golf course, new urbanism & retro-themed communities are at the top of my list

3) I am a big sports fan and I love my Michigan teams (I currently live in Michigan). Even though I could never see myself rooting for the Buccaneers, Rays, and Lightning over the Pistons, Tigers, and Red Wings, I do like to attend pro sports events. Is Tampa a good sports town for local teams, or do the locals still root for the teams back home where they moved from? I like towns that are rabid about the local teams, but this probably isn't a make or break issue for me.

4) Does Tampa promote a more youthful culture, or a retirement, senior-focused culture? It hard to tell sometimes from afar when it comes to certain cities in Florida. I have heard horror stories from friends who moved to Florida seeking a vibrant, energetic areas only to find that the town they moved to was full of seniors with a social environment geared toward seniors. I'm 34, so I am not ready for "Seniorville" yet.

5) Are there a ton of native Tampa residents, or is it like LA and Phoenix where everyone came from somewhere else?

6) Though I don't get too hung up on this, what is the political climate -- Red State or Blue State? Romney/Huckabee or Clinton/Obama? Is illegal immigration the topic du jour?

7) Are lighting strikes really that prevalent and that big of a deal in the Tampa area? I heard that nearly every afternoon in the late summer has a rain shower and lighting like you wouldn't believe. Apparently dozens of people die from lighting strikes every year in Tampa -- is that true? If so, that is insane! I think a lighting strike killed someone in Michigan like 10 years ago or something........

8) I never seem to hear about Tampa getting battered by major hurricanes or tropical storms like other Florida and Gulf Coast cities. Is Tampa actually less prone to severe, "Katrina"-like weather than other coastal cities? If so, any idea why?

That's enough to consider for now. I would appreciate insights from any one who cares to read this, careful consider and respond to my questions. Feel free to add any other topics I may not have touched on that you think I may need to consider before accepting an offer and moving to Tampa.

All the best.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 02:21 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,619,004 times
Here is my two cents on your questions, I am a transplant from NY 20 years ago:

1) Tampa seems to me -- from afar -- to be very much like "San Diego East". For anyone who has lived in or traveled to San Diego, is that an accurate assessment of the aesthetics and overall lifestyle in the Tampa area?
Funny you mention this as I have heard this as well, although I think San Diego is more appealing due to mountains/ocean/temperate year round. But as far as size and amenities, I think they both come close(Ybor=Gas Lamp; Ocean/Bay=Gulf/Bay; Chargers/Padres=Bucs/Rays....)

2) Where are the best neighboorhoods for homes that run from perhaps $500K to $750K that would be within a short distance of work, good public school systems, near major retail, restaurants, entertainment venues, etc.? I'm hearing about a neighborhood called "Cory Lake Isles".... any feedback on that development? Is it near the airport? I want to puchase a detached, single-family home, not a condo or apartment. On the water, on a golf course, new urbanism & retro-themed communities are at the top of my list
Since you will be flying out much, and working near the airport, and sounds like you want to have everything in your backyard, i'd look into South Tampa. Lots of waterfront homes on canals along Westshore Blvd(Beach Park/Sunset Park/Bel Mar Shores neighborhoods); also Davis Islands and Harbour Island downtown. Another area you may look into is Westchase(gated communities of all kinds, about 20 min from airport, 25 min to downtown area). Cory Lake is nice, but Waaaaay on the other side of town, and traffic would be a nightmare to the airport area.

3) I am a big sports fan and I love my Michigan teams (I currently live in Michigan). Even though I could never see myself rooting for the Buccaneers, Rays, and Lightning over the Pistons, Tigers, and Red Wings, I do like to attend pro sports events. Is Tampa a good sports town for local teams, or do the locals still root for the teams back home where they moved from? I like towns that are rabid about the local teams, but this probably isn't a make or break issue for me.
Being here 20 years. I have seen the Tampa fans come through, especially after winning a Stanley Cup championship, Arena Footbal Championship repeatedly, and Super Bowl. Tamp fans are die hard fans, but it is great to see the other teams fans in the stands usually visiting the Tampa area for games.

4) Does Tampa promote a more youthful culture, or a retirement, senior-focused culture? It hard to tell sometimes from afar when it comes to certain cities in Florida. I have heard horror stories from friends who moved to Florida seeking a vibrant, energetic areas only to find that the town they moved to was full of seniors with a social environment geared toward seniors. I'm 34, so I am not ready for "Seniorville" yet.
I think Tampa the city promotes a more youthful culture, its a blue collar town, with white collar mixed in, and spots of retirement here and there, but most of the "seniorville" is in the outskirts of the Bay area, not the city itself.

5) Are there a ton of native Tampa residents, or is it like LA and Phoenix where everyone came from somewhere else?
This is mixed, but i'd say most people you will meet will be from somewhere else, unless you are in authentic neighborhoods like areas of South Tampa(lots of old Tampa money here), Seminole Heights and West Tampa areas.

6) Though I don't get too hung up on this, what is the political climate -- Red State or Blue State? Romney/Huckabee or Clinton/Obama? Is illegal immigration the topic du jour?
I feel the city of Tampa itslef is a mix leaning more towards a fiscally right but socially left... The county of Hillsborough is good old boy red. Dont hear much about illegal immigration as a MAIN topic in Tampa.

7) Are lighting strikes really that prevalent and that big of a deal in the Tampa area? I heard that nearly every afternoon in the late summer has a rain shower and lighting like you wouldn't believe. Apparently dozens of people die from lighting strikes every year in Tampa -- is that true? If so, that is insane! I think a lighting strike killed someone in Michigan like 10 years ago or something........
Dozens???-not so sure about that....Dont be outside during a lightning storm..20 years here never once had an incident, but I do know one person who's home was hit by lightning...twice!(just shorted out the electronics in his house).Nothing like a good thunderstorm and downpur on a summer day though..amazing storms.

8) I never seem to hear about Tampa getting battered by major hurricanes or tropical storms like other Florida and Gulf Coast cities. Is Tampa actually less prone to severe, "Katrina"-like weather than other coastal cities? If so, any idea why?
We've been very lucky! You more than likely to get struck by lightning, or even get hit by a car, than a direct battering by a Hurricane.

Hope this Helps! You will get all kinds of opinions from a about a dozen or so posters on this Forum. It helps if you actually spend time here in the area and talk to locals and residents...most people living here do not go on this Forum.

Good Luck!

Old 12-26-2007, 04:01 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,138,498 times
Here's my evaluation-I am from Miami and have lived in Tucson, AZ as well as all over this state.

1) Tampa seems to me -- from afar -- to be very much like "San Diego East". For anyone who has lived in or traveled to San Diego, is that an accurate assessment of the aesthetics and overall lifestyle in the Tampa area? I am not sure what San Diego East is like, but I have some family friends from San Diego who seem to like it here. They live in New Tampa.

2) Where are the best neighboorhoods for homes that run from perhaps $500K to $750K that would be within a short distance of work, good public school systems, near major retail, restaurants, entertainment venues, etc.? I'm hearing about a neighborhood called "Cory Lake Isles".... any feedback on that development? Is it near the airport? I want to puchase a detached, single-family home, not a condo or apartment. On the water, on a golf course, new urbanism & retro-themed communities are at the top of my list---There are a lot of NEW housing communities that will range in that price range in New Tampa. I know there a some homes on the golf course near where I live, they are located in Bloomingdale and there are a lot of multi-million dollar homes in there. We have amusement parks here, Ybor (in my opinion for the younger crowd) and Channelside. i know also people enjoy going to Hyde Park as well....

3) I am a big sports fan and I love my Michigan teams (I currently live in Michigan). Even though I could never see myself rooting for the Buccaneers, Rays, and Lightning over the Pistons, Tigers, and Red Wings, I do like to attend pro sports events. Is Tampa a good sports town for local teams, or do the locals still root for the teams back home where they moved from? I like towns that are rabid about the local teams, but this probably isn't a make or break issue for me. Here we have The Bucs, which you listed, Lighting, the Rays (formerly known as the Devil Rays), the Yankees practice here and we also have an arena football team as well. There are plenty of sports to watch here.

4) Does Tampa promote a more youthful culture, or a retirement, senior-focused culture? It hard to tell sometimes from afar when it comes to certain cities in Florida. I have heard horror stories from friends who moved to Florida seeking a vibrant, energetic areas only to find that the town they moved to was full of seniors with a social environment geared toward seniors. I'm 34, so I am not ready for "Seniorville" yet. There are people here your age as well as younger and older. Being 34, I know you can find a lot of things to do. All retirees want to move to Florida because of the weather, so it may be a true "horror" story that you heard, but there are also younger people as well.

5) Are there a ton of native Tampa residents, or is it like LA and Phoenix where everyone came from somewhere else? It is rare to find a true blue Floridian such as myself. Most people are transplants. But you will run into some natives as well.

6) Though I don't get too hung up on this, what is the political climate -- Red State or Blue State? Romney/Huckabee or Clinton/Obama? Is illegal immigration the topic du jour? LOL, I am not big into politics, but Florida is primarily a democratic state (although I protested and became republican). Immagration isn't a main topic here, atleast not that I have heard of.

7) Are lighting strikes really that prevalent and that big of a deal in the Tampa area? I heard that nearly every afternoon in the late summer has a rain shower and lighting like you wouldn't believe. Apparently dozens of people die from lighting strikes every year in Tampa -- is that true? If so, that is insane! I think a lighting strike killed someone in Michigan like 10 years ago or something........LMAO! I don't know about dozens, they might exaggerate a little on that, but there is lightning here, I guess that's why we are the lightning capitol-but hey, those people weren't the smartest crayons in the box if they were standing outside in a lightning storm!

8) I never seem to hear about Tampa getting battered by major hurricanes or tropical storms like other Florida and Gulf Coast cities. Is Tampa actually less prone to severe, "Katrina"-like weather than other coastal cities? If so, any idea why? LOL, I love this one! Well, we really haven't been hit, just with little cat. 1's or 2's once or twice in a few years. Nothing big, just a few branches knocked down. I guess it has to do with the water current, and maybe the way we are kinda tucked away in the bay? I am not sure, but no, I wouldn't worry about hurricanes here. It's nothing compared to Miami or Sarasota area.

I hope I was helpful to you!

Last edited by mquintana; 12-26-2007 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Forgot something....

Old 12-26-2007, 09:44 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,293,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2007 View Post
I may be offered a job soon in Tampa. I just finished a very strong interview and got some great feedback. The company's office is located off 589 near the International Plaza and Bay Street -- which is also near Tampa International Airport. Sounds like a plum location to work, esp. since I will be traveling outside of the US a lot on business.

There are a couple of items I need to get clarification on -- I would like feedback from current Tampa residents (especially Midwest transplants) regarding whether the information I have or perhaps even my preconceived notions about Tampa are accurate.

Here we go......

I would say that Tampa isn't really comparable to any city in California.....the culture is just soooo different (as is the weather!)

It's not as bad as many places in the South, but you definitly won't forget that you are in a Red State. As someone from a blue state, you will be very surprised (and I worked with well educated people). Just for example, I was listening to a very popular morning show in Tampa on the way to work (geared towards 20/30's) and they were calling people "homo's" on it....I hadn't heard that since maybe junior high, much less on a mainstream station.

I wouldn't worry abou this!

That's enough to consider for now. I would appreciate insights from any one who cares to read this, careful consider and respond to my questions. Feel free to add any other topics I may not have touched on that you think I may need to consider before accepting an offer and moving to Tampa.

All the best.......

Just my two cents above...

Old 12-27-2007, 03:18 AM

792 posts, read 2,015,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2007 View Post

Here we go......

All the best.......
1. no, i lived in san diego, this ain't it.Think poorer, more trashy.
2. you will have to beat realtors off with a stick, ifyou tell them you can spend $500K. Don't worry bout it.
3. You can still root for the suckaneers and your home team. Most do.
4. I'd say it's mixed. We got party places and shuffleboard tourney's, take your pick.
5. You hardly ever meet a genuine native. Most folks are from somewhere else.
6. This is a mostly conservative state. I mean it's old folks mostly, think about it.
7. Lightning is BAD here, don't let anyone kid you.
8. We've been lucky on hurricanes. But our day is coming.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:39 AM

74 posts, read 344,589 times
I often think that Tampa is aspiring to be what San Diego is. It's not there yet, by a long chalk - but then again, when I lived in San Diego 15-20 years ago, it wasn't a patch on what it is today. I do think Tampa will get there, but it'll be a while yet.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:58 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,851,698 times
There are some seniors living in Tampa but it is nothing like other areas.
I lived in Tampa 30 years and only knew one person whose home was hit by lightening. It can be fierce just make sure you aren't standing in the middle of a golf course with a club in your hand.

I agree I think the position of Tampabay keeps Tampa from getting a direct hit but you can get some strong winds even if it hits across the state it can affect Tampa.

There are a lot of young ppl in Tampa. S. Tampa is a good place to live and work.

My advice.. don't come expecting Tampa to be anything but Tampa. You will be disappointed if you are always comparing it to someplace else. There are a lot of good things about Tampa but there are also bad. Just don't focus on the bad and you will do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or