U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 PM

4,823 posts, read 3,477,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It has changed a LOT, and is perfect for a young active retiree. Out of the 3 choices, this one would be my top recommendation. And downtown is very walkable, and only a couple miles to St. Armand's and Lido Beach.
What happened to all the homeless. I remember in 06 when I first moved here, downtown Sarasota was famous for the insane amount of homeless people, But thinking about it that had not been the case for a couple of years now, I wonder what kind of draconian laws they must of enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 07:29 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,912,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I didn't realize "Taco Bell" was considered "dining"! LOL I don't care for fast food garbage, so moving to Sarasota would definitely not be because of Taco Bell places and the likes! LOL But that was funny! Ever been to St/. Armand's Circle?
Sarasota is beautiful...
Taco Bell aka Toxic Hell gives me a stomach ache its insult to fast food and any Mexican style food.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:27 AM

529 posts, read 674,827 times
Sarasota has 420 Munchies that I recall had awesome food for a great price and is open till 4:20 AM. I am not worried about one Taco Bell closing at 8 plus I recall Taco Bell being open at 1am in Sarasota before. The drive through sure is anyhow. Sarasota may be sleepy but some bars stay open till 2 or 3 am if I recall correctly from going to them.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:33 AM

15,187 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Sarasota has 420 Munchies that I recall had awesome food for a great price and is open till 4:20 AM. I am not worried about one Taco Bell closing at 8 plus I recall Taco Bell being open at 1am in Sarasota before. The drive through sure is anyhow. Sarasota may be sleepy but some bars stay open till 2 or 3 am if I recall correctly from going to them.
As I said earlier, Sarasota has changed DRASTICALLY in the last decade - the demographics have changed, are changing and there is all kinds of stuff going on here. All the colleges on the north Trail have expanded radically, so many more new things have been built, downtown is hopping all the time, plus we have the new huge mall opening next month - it is booming down here. Plus, contrary to what someone else posted, there IS good Mexican food here (as well as all other kinds) with more on the way if one cares about that sort of thing. Something for every taste here - for a smallish city this place is loaded with restaurants, good and bad and at all price points. Lots of organic/local stuff, too.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:16 AM

85 posts, read 106,704 times
I really like St Petersburg. The areas in and around downtown are really walkable. We have plenty of weekend events in the Fall, winter and Spring. We have great, public parks.

Sarasota is really nice too and has a lot of creative, artists/musicians. However, I found that the city/county leaders are very conservative and like to regulate everything. (currently they have enacted an noise ordinance that basically precludes any outdoor music). But the town is really beautiful.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
As I said earlier, Sarasota has changed DRASTICALLY in the last decade - the demographics have changed, are changing and there is all kinds of stuff going on here. All the colleges on the north Trail have expanded radically, so many more new things have been built, downtown is hopping all the time, plus we have the new huge mall opening next month - it is booming down here. Plus, contrary to what someone else posted, there IS good Mexican food here (as well as all other kinds) with more on the way if one cares about that sort of thing. Something for every taste here - for a smallish city this place is loaded with restaurants, good and bad and at all price points. Lots of organic/local stuff, too.
So jobs have gotten a lot better then.. more places hiring than ever I take it?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye-rye View Post
I really like St Petersburg. The areas in and around downtown are really walkable. We have plenty of weekend events in the Fall, winter and Spring. We have great, public parks.

Sarasota is really nice too and has a lot of creative, artists/musicians. However, I found that the city/county leaders are very conservative and like to regulate everything. (currently they have enacted an noise ordinance that basically precludes any outdoor music). But the town is really beautiful.
Ya Sarasota and St Pete are a different lifestyle but much more comparable if comparing to somewhere else in this country though.. I feel the vibes are different across the skyway going North to some degree than Manatee County though or even Sarasota County.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:45 PM

56 posts, read 96,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I didn't realize "Taco Bell" was considered "dining"! LOL I don't care for fast food garbage, so moving to Sarasota would definitely not be because of Taco Bell places and the likes! LOL But that was funny! Ever been to St/. Armand's Circle?
Sarasota is beautiful...
Algia, I have no idea how you manage to deal with all of us little people here on CD...it must be a terrible struggle for you...

Old 09-23-2014, 11:47 AM

85 posts, read 106,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Ya Sarasota and St Pete are a different lifestyle but much more comparable if comparing to somewhere else in this country though.. I feel the vibes are different across the skyway going North to some degree than Manatee County though or even Sarasota County.
GoldCountry, you are absolutely right. As a local there is a completely different feeling crossing over the bay from Pinellas to Manatee County. I think they are both nice communities but they definiately "feel" much different.

To me, St Pete feels kind of weird, kooky and diverse, and a bit of an island (this is great for me). Sarasota feels more refined, orderly, and conservative.

Good luck Town Seeker!

Old 10-05-2014, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,103 times
Thanks for the recommendations. Just left Tampa/St Pete and got to Sarasota today. I do think it is lovely and the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or