Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:08 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I think this is an excellent post, with the exception of the one part I highlighted. That part is simply completely false. That false statement has been debated here a number of times, with the claimant proven wrong everytime it comes up.
Part of the issue is that you have a lot of people retraining, so even if you have been in the workforce for 15 years if your new degree is not in that field you are looking at sub 40k salaries for entry level which is supposed to be a 22yo out of college, not a 35yo with a family trying to buy a house in a good school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:31 AM

356 posts, read 302,261 times
Thank you all for your comments. I have considered townhomes, but, due to sharing a wall, the potential for neighbor's noise, and the challenge when it comes to re-sale, I am very hesitant.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:20 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,021 times
I really think that your price constraint severely limits what you will find. Have you thought about contacting one or more real estate agents to help with your search?

Old 09-27-2014, 08:54 AM

I am working with an agent. The reality is pretty clear, for those with limited funds, the choices are very limited as well. Find a newer house, which means less worry about a/c, roof, etc., but, costs more, cannot afford. Or, get cheaper property which needs to be fixed up, which means, having the funds to do it. So, for one who makes a very modest income, home or townhome ownership becomes more like a dream than an attainable goal. Look at all the hundreds and hundreds of foreclosures in the TB area, this is pretty well says that a great majority of TB residents are simply not earninging enough to support home ownership...

Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
I am working with an agent. The reality is pretty clear, for those with limited funds, the choices are very limited as well. Find a newer house, which means less worry about a/c, roof, etc., but, costs more, cannot afford. Or, get cheaper property which needs to be fixed up, which means, having the funds to do it. So, for one who makes a very modest income, home or townhome ownership becomes more like a dream than an attainable goal. Look at all the hundreds and hundreds of foreclosures in the TB area, this is pretty well says that a great majority of TB residents are simply not earning enough to support home ownership...
I appreciate your situation; your agent is really the only one who can advise you on the condition of various listings.

As far as foreclosures go, there are several possibilities:

1. The homeowner bought and used a significant portion of his/her income to pay their monthly mortgage.
  2. The homeowner financed the home such that he/she paid only interest. When the market collapsed they were in a negative equity situation.
When you buy a home, you should always spend less than your lender says you can afford. That way you will be less likely to find yourself in an "under-water" situation. The key to financial well being is to always live beneath your means and to save a healthy percentage of your net income for a rainy day and for the future.

I disagree with your statement "a great majority of TB residents are simply not earning enough to support home ownership". Maybe what is happening is that they overbought as I say above.

I am certainly not generalizing but my two points above are what have allowed me to live comfortably with minimal financial worries over the years.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:02 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
So funny how everybody thinks that their house is worth so much more than what they would probably get on an open market.........

Your house in your own estimate was 300K last year and now 400K? No where in Tampa Bay area house price went up 25% in one year, FYI
I am going by exact sales comps in our neighborhood. Homes are on the market for less than a week, before getting multiple offers and selling above list price in many instances. I am going by sq footage, age, condition, similar style and pictures of the upgrades inside. I have pretty exact numbers. I doubt you know the details of every single neighborhood in Tampa Bay.

And I did not say I bought AT or my house was estimated AT $300k. Where did you come up with that?

Old 09-27-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for your comments. I have considered townhomes, but, due to sharing a wall, the potential for neighbor's noise, and the challenge when it comes to re-sale, I am very hesitant.
I totally understand that. Been there, done that. However, keep in mind that many single story TH and condos here are built with cement block walls in between. That will greatly reduce the noise we may have experienced in other places.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I am working with an agent. The reality is pretty clear, for those with limited funds, the choices are very limited as well. Find a newer house, which means less worry about a/c, roof, etc., but, costs more, cannot afford. Or, get cheaper property which needs to be fixed up, which means, having the funds to do it. So, for one who makes a very modest income, home or townhome ownership becomes more like a dream than an attainable goal. Look at all the hundreds and hundreds of foreclosures in the TB area, this is pretty well says that a great majority of TB residents are simply not earninging enough to support home ownership...
Don't assume that. I know so many people, some realitives included, who have plenty of income and cash, who have decided to do what they call a strategic default. I call it cheating. One of my relatives has not paid her mortgage in six years or so and is still in the house. A LOT of people have gone that route. Certainly not all, but enough to skew the reality of the data presented.

PLUS, Florida was hit very hard with the downturn and a lot of opportunists were left holding the bag when it went down. With all the overregulation put in place, it is taking forever to get through the foreclosure process. Years to go on that.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree View Post
I appreciate your situation; your agent is really the only one who can advise you on the condition of various listings.

As far as foreclosures go, there are several possibilities:

1. The homeowner bought and used a significant portion of his/her income to pay their monthly mortgage.
  2. The homeowner financed the home such that he/she paid only interest. When the market collapsed they were in a negative equity situation.
When you buy a home, you should always spend less than your lender says you can afford. That way you will be less likely to find yourself in an "under-water" situation. The key to financial well being is to always live beneath your means and to save a healthy percentage of your net income for a rainy day and for the future.

I disagree with your statement "a great majority of TB residents are simply not earning enough to support home ownership". Maybe what is happening is that they overbought as I say above.

I am certainly not generalizing but my two points above are what have allowed me to live comfortably with minimal financial worries over the years.
I totally agree with this. The bank told us we could buy a million dollar home. We laughed and said no thanks. We bought based on one person's salary and even at that, we bought low enough to have a comfortable enough cushion. That turned out to be a good decision, because I can no longer work due to health issues and have no income as a result.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:10 AM

Thank you all. Yes, living below one's means is certainly a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay