Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:51 AM

356 posts, read 302,432 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Thank you all for your replies. Allow me to resubmit my question. Can one find a used property that as a newer roof and a/c? Quite often the choice is either buy a new house (either in the Ruskin or Riverview area since those are the only two places where new houses appear to be found), or purchase an older home where there could be current problems or problems lurking that will require much cash to fix. For someone with not a lot of cash reserves to put a huge down payment down, or fix many items, the options become very limited. Who wants to put down a lot of cash anyways? The idea of putting down like $20k or more with the hope one would get it back seems to be a much more uncertain prospect in this very very uncertain times.

Renting is an option, but, for me at least, I do not feel like I am home. It is not my property. So, anyways, can quality, safe, quiet, nice homes be found in the $135 - $165k range, somewhere? I want to stay in either Hillsborough or Pasco county.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 05:11 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
You are looking for something that doesn't exist.

First of all, new or newer homes have problems too. As a homeowner you will be spending quite a bit of time "taking care" of your property, and while a roof can be expensive to replace, don't fool yourself into thinking a new house is all that perfect.

Your concern should be with "where" the house is, because everything else is secondary. To build any equity you need to be in an area that has things that people want, is close to things, and it is well maintained. I would never move to Ruskin or Riverview in a million years. I don't see any of those area building such equity that they'll become all that popular. They will eventually be ran down and deserted. The majority of homeowners there are not those who "take pride"...maybe one or two...but that won't count much in the vast scope of things.

That budget is small, and you will have to look into more established areas, because otherwise that budget is straight out of bad areas. East Tampa and the likes.

You said you work in finance in the other thread...save more money. Jobs that pay $50k are rare here, and you need a lot more than just a degree to get one; you need to know people.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
You seem to be resubmitting a few threads . why not just continue the threads on the same topic . Gets redundant doesn't it?

Old 09-26-2014, 05:56 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You seem to be resubmitting a few threads . why not just continue the threads on the same topic . Gets redundant doesn't it?
I suspect that he is hoping for a better answer; however, like PhotoProIP, I don't see it.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:44 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
I agree. The answers aren't going to change, no matter how many times the question is asked.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:22 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,153 times
Have you thought about a townhome? Check Lennar homes in Trinity.

The past few threads on this really answered a lot of questions. If you are looking at older homes in your price range, find out when the A/C was put in and find out when the roof was done. These questions are easily gotten from the seller.

I replaced my A/C a little more than a year ago. And that home was built in 2001. Roof looks brand new, but it is old. If done correctly, should be able to get 25 years out of it. If we get nailed by a Hurricane or something like that, all bets are off.

Real Estate & Homes For Sale - Zillow

Check that link out. South of HWY 54 (possibly just North), West of I-75, East of Livingston, and North of County Line (separates Hillsborough and Pasco County).

Old 09-26-2014, 10:36 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Hi all:

Thank you all for your replies. Allow me to resubmit my question. Can one find a used property that as a newer roof and a/c? Quite often the choice is either buy a new house (either in the Ruskin or Riverview area since those are the only two places where new houses appear to be found), or purchase an older home where there could be current problems or problems lurking that will require much cash to fix. For someone with not a lot of cash reserves to put a huge down payment down, or fix many items, the options become very limited. Who wants to put down a lot of cash anyways? The idea of putting down like $20k or more with the hope one would get it back seems to be a much more uncertain prospect in this very very uncertain times.

Renting is an option, but, for me at least, I do not feel like I am home. It is not my property. So, anyways, can quality, safe, quiet, nice homes be found in the $135 - $165k range, somewhere? I want to stay in either Hillsborough or Pasco county.

Thanks...
Mine has a new roof and A/C and is from the 1990's, with some very nice updates inside.....but could still use some more, which we are starting to have done. It is curretly worth about $400k, but I will let it go for $500k. BTW-I bought it for far less back in 2012. Timing is everything. Projections are for further prices increase over the next year.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:40 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You are looking for something that doesn't exist.

First of all, new or newer homes have problems too. As a homeowner you will be spending quite a bit of time "taking care" of your property, and while a roof can be expensive to replace, don't fool yourself into thinking a new house is all that perfect.

Your concern should be with "where" the house is, because everything else is secondary. To build any equity you need to be in an area that has things that people want, is close to things, and it is well maintained. I would never move to Ruskin or Riverview in a million years. I don't see any of those area building such equity that they'll become all that popular. They will eventually be ran down and deserted. The majority of homeowners there are not those who "take pride"...maybe one or two...but that won't count much in the vast scope of things.

That budget is small, and you will have to look into more established areas, because otherwise that budget is straight out of bad areas. East Tampa and the likes.

You said you work in finance in the other thread...save more money. Jobs that pay $50k are rare here, and you need a lot more than just a degree to get one; you need to know people.
I think this is an excellent post, with the exception of the one part I highlighted. That part is simply completely false. That false statement has been debated here a number of times, with the claimant proven wrong everytime it comes up.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:54 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Mine has a new roof and A/C and is from the 1990's, with some very nice updates inside.....but could still use some more, which we are starting to have done. It is curretly worth about $400k, but I will let it go for $500k. BTW-I bought it for far less back in 2012. Timing is everything. Projections are for further prices increase over the next year.
So funny how everybody thinks that their house is worth so much more than what they would probably get on an open market.........

Your house in your own estimate was 300K last year and now 400K? No where in Tampa Bay area house price went up 25% in one year, FYI

Last edited by Pragmaticus; 09-26-2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
OP I have answered this before but allow me to resubmit....

I think you probably need to look at town home/condo, or smaller SFH or save until you are able to afford what you consider to be in good neighborhood. Of course, my € 0.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay