Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,411 times

Advertisements

After reading the landlord/tenant laws, I have a few questions about our lease. If there is a dispute, which prevails- law or lease?

In my lease, it shows the tenants are responsible for screens, but 83.51(b) states The landlord, at commencement of the tenancy, must ensure that screens are installed in a reasonable condition. Thereafter, the landlord must repair damage to screens once annually, when necessary, until termination of the rental agreement.

Early lease termination rights with minimum 90-day advance written notice, but 83.57, A tenancy without a specific duration, as defined in s. 83.46(2) or (3), may be terminated by either party giving written notice in the manner provided in s. 83.56(4), as follows (1) When the tenancy is from year to year, by giving not less than 60 days’ notice prior to the end of any annual period;

Is it legal to do a back to back year leases as long as it is written on separate paperwork?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 06:28 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
This is not legal advice, you should seek this to be certain. My question is, who damaged the screens, if they are damaged? I think that although you are correct in your statement about 83.51 (b), if damage was caused by misuse - rather than debris (off trees etc) then as a landlord, I think I would be looking to tenant to fix the problem. If I was the tenant, I would be asking landlord if they could resolve the problem. As a landlord, I tend to fix things even if I think it was through misuse, to ensure my property is in good repair, I can always get a new tenant if they don't care for my property. Interesting about the annual repairs to screens, I have a pool screen and we are thinking of renting out our single family home and moving (downsizing) to our condo as we are just about empty nesters, and every year I am having to fix the darned things because of tree damage - yikes!

I did believe it was not possible to have a Florida lease for a tenancy on a property for more than one year at a time. But then I found this - not sure if this is legal either, http://www.justanswer.com/real-estat...a-home-no.html So my best advice is to get legal advice.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:47 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun95903 View Post
After reading the landlord/tenant laws, I have a few questions about our lease. If there is a dispute, which prevails- law or lease?

In my lease, it shows the tenants are responsible for screens, but 83.51(b) states The landlord, at commencement of the tenancy, must ensure that screens are installed in a reasonable condition. Thereafter, the landlord must repair damage to screens once annually, when necessary, until termination of the rental agreement.

Early lease termination rights with minimum 90-day advance written notice, but 83.57, A tenancy without a specific duration, as defined in s. 83.46(2) or (3), may be terminated by either party giving written notice in the manner provided in s. 83.56(4), as follows (1) When the tenancy is from year to year, by giving not less than 60 days’ notice prior to the end of any annual period;

Is it legal to do a back to back year leases as long as it is written on separate paperwork?

Thanks!
The general rule is that the lease controls over the statute unless the statute states otherwise. A residential lease cannot exceed one year in duration. You have no early termination rights unless specified in the lease or, I believe this is new, you are member of the armed forces and being transferred. The tenancy you refer to regarding notice has to with oral tenancies and has nothing to do with written leases unless those written leases have expired.

I don't know for certain about the screens, but if the elease says you're responsible presume you are responsible.

Last edited by TreeBeard; 10-02-2014 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay