U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,171 times

Advertisements

I got a job offer in Lakeland. I now have to figure out where to live. I'm a single young professional in my late 20s. I'm not much into clubs and bars but I would like to live in a community where there are other young professionals in their 20s and 30s. Where would be the best place to live given that I'll be commuting to Lakeland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 12:55 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,025,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy14 View Post
I got a job offer in Lakeland. I now have to figure out where to live. I'm a single young professional in my late 20s. I'm not much into clubs and bars but I would like to live in a community where there are other young professionals in their 20s and 30s. Where would be the best place to live given that I'll be commuting to Lakeland?
Lakeland.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:58 PM

All kidding aside, here's an excerpt from another thread by one of our regular posters on Lakeland. Hope it helps:

"If you have a choice of Lakeland, for goodness sake PICK LAKELAND! We lived there for two years, it is a beautiful little city, and while not a throbbing metropolis has plenty to do. More beautiful community parks for the public than any other city I've seen here, beautiful lakes, you could search my posts and see what I have posted in the past. Lakeland gets a bad rap by some of the naysayers here, but most of them have never lived there or even got off the interstate to see what the town has to offer. It has a restored downtown with coffee shops, record shops, a central park, restaruants and more. You owe it to yourself to check it out, and I mean NOT FROM THIS FORUM - LOL. we loved it there. Plenty of young people too, there are several small colleges. Also, it is an easy drive to Tampa or Orlando for bigger city vibe.

Lakeland ticks all the boxes for everything you want easy access to: skating rink, bowling alley, two major malls, movie theaters (including one restored movie palace, one of only 3 in Florida!), a vintage drive-in theater, a performance hall, art center and too many nice amenities to mention. Lots of free festivals and activities go on downtown and around the downtown Lake Mirror and its promenade:

http://www.lakelandgov.net/parkrec/L...orComplex.aspx

And this beautiful new building, the first new building for USF Polytechnic calls Lakeland home:

Florida Polytechnic Sciencie, Innovation and Technology Campus / Santiago Calatrava | ArchDaily

Check out downtown:

What's Happening In Downtown Lakeland - Downtown Lakeland Partnership -

https://www.google.com/search?q=down...px%3B585%3B389"

Old 10-12-2014, 11:25 PM

147 posts, read 166,749 times
I was born in Lakeland and have lived here most of my life. We have a great group of young professionals here! I think you would love it. You should come check it out. Here's a link to the Downtown Lakeland partnership page which has a listing of downtown events. I've also included a link to Emerge which is a young professionals group. If I can answer any questions for you about my beautiful hometown, I'd be happy to.

EMERGE Lakeland

Old 10-12-2014, 11:27 PM

147 posts, read 166,749 times
Kmarc, thanks for all your kind words about Lakeland!

Old 10-13-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakelandFLNative View Post
Kmarc, thanks for all your kind words about Lakeland!
Oops, actually I was quoting one of our great Florida posters, gypsychic, who has lived in Lakeland. I'm sorry to say that until I read her post, I was one of those who had a sort of dim view of the Lakeland area, but I haven't been there in years, so I was interested in how it had changed for the better and gypsychic summed it up nicely. I wanted the OP to have that point of view. I hope the information is helpful and you should thank gypsychic.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:16 PM

28 posts, read 23,591 times
I'm still not entirely sure what's up with the few here that push Lakeland like it's this wonderful place. I've only been in the region a short time so I can't compete with the knowledge they have on the area but I can say that I found Auburndale to be the only decent town in Polk County. Lakeland has a unique downtown and some nice looking lakes, but once you leave that small circle the majority of it is people living barely above poverty level in moderately high crime areas. If you have to live in Lakeland, the best place IMO is the south end around Lakeside Village.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,107,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakelandFLNative View Post
I was born in Lakeland and have lived here most of my life. We have a great group of young professionals here! I think you would love it. You should come check it out. Here's a link to the Downtown Lakeland partnership page which has a listing of downtown events. I've also included a link to Emerge which is a young professionals group. If I can answer any questions for you about my beautiful hometown, I'd be happy to.

EMERGE Lakeland
as a real estate agent, presumably in Lakeland, wouldn't it be in your best interest to post a nothing but positive view of the town?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 AM

15,114 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
as a real estate agent, presumably in Lakeland, wouldn't it be in your best interest to post a nothing but positive view of the town?
This may be true of agents BucFan, but I am not an agent nor do I work for the Chamber of Commerce or have anything to gain by anyone moving to one place or another; and I have nothing bad to say about Lakeland. As I posted previously here and past threads, I myself was surprised how nice and beautiful it is; I had remembered how it was 20 years ago, with the working phosphate mines and run-down downtown. Today, many of the mines are now beautiful public parks, downtown is restored around a central park, and downtown features THREE fabulous lakes which are parks - Lake Mirror, as I posted before with it's formal Hollis Gardens and promenade all around, and amphitheater for free concerts and events, then Lake Morton which is a swan sanctuary, filled with swans, and then Lake Hollingsworth - this is where the Florida Southern College is - largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings in the country. This lake has a paved trail all around where you will see people of all ages at all times of day walking, jogging, skating, biking etc. There is also a vintage country club there that looks right out of Hollywood. It is a "tree city" filled with very old live oaks (HUGE!) and the land is rolling with small hills, so much prettier than the flat coastal cities.

I always feel compelled to come here here and defend Lakeland, I just can't understand why people post the crap they do about this city. Honestly it has so many nice things going for it I just can't post it all. Sure, like ANY CITY OR TOWN I HAVE EVER BEEN TO it has it's run-down and poor sections - but here I am living in Sarasota with one of the worst ghettoes anywhere, plus many other not-so-nice sections. So NO ONE should judge a city or town by it's poorest neighborhoods! Some of you should really visit Lakeland first hand and you will be shocked what a nice city and relatively undiscovered gem it really is.

Anyway, in some ways I liked it better than where I am now, the only thing that trumps it is that I love being near the coast. But Lakeland has so many beautiful lakes, it almost felt coastal. I also love the young vibe it has, young people everywhere unlike where we live now.

I hope this post helps someone.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 PM

21 posts, read 20,827 times
Before I visited Lakeland a few times, I had always thought if it as rather redneckish. I had a friend who took me around and I found it to be a very nice town with rural areas as well as nice neighborhoods. There are quaint shops downtown and a huge civic center. I would definitely live there if I worked nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or