U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,605 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our 30's, with one kid under 3 and another on the way. We are running out of room in our townhouse and will be looking to make a move over the next year or so. We both work in Tampa and would prefer this side of town for various reasons (in-laws moving to Apollo Beach, etc.). Here are a few of the locations we are considering. I would appreciate any opinions / insight.

Waterset:
-Like the builders / new home construction options.
-Like the proximity to I-75 (quicker drive to beaches as well)
-Like the idea of a planned community.
-The schools currently appear to be a mess.
-The promised outdoor mall (similar to Wiregrass) appears to be a pipe dream.

Fishhawk Ranch:
-Like the idea of an already established community
-Love the parks / trails for running, etc.
-Great schools.
-Brutal commute.
-Many home options outside of new home construction.

River Hills:
-Established community
-Golf
-Similar commute as FHR.
-Golf
-Good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 PM

876 posts, read 1,623,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblamo View Post
We are a couple in our 30's, with one kid under 3 and another on the way. We are running out of room in our townhouse and will be looking to make a move over the next year or so. We both work in Tampa and would prefer this side of town for various reasons (in-laws moving to Apollo Beach, etc.). Here are a few of the locations we are considering. I would appreciate any opinions / insight.

Waterset:

Fishhawk Ranch:
-Great schools.
-Brutal commute.

River Hills:
-Established community
-Golf
-Similar commute as FHR.
-Golf
-Good schools.
I'd say you've given an excellent breakdown of each community. We are in a very similar situation and we're choosing Fishhawk for the schools.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:28 AM

3,926 posts, read 10,309,886 times
The main differences I see amongst the three are that River Hills has larger lots and no CDD but the homes are older construction (and the golf course you mentioned). Also, both Fishhawk and Waterset have natural gas which River Hills doesn't. I'm sure there are other differences, but these came to mind first.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the insight, Karen. I hadn't really considered the natural gas component.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 AM

673 posts, read 1,039,502 times
Quote:

Waterset:

Fishhawk Ranch:
-Great schools.
-Brutal commute.

River Hills:
-Established community
-Golf
-Similar commute as FHR.
-Golf
-Good schools.
Looks like Waterset is the best fit so far. Where are your in laws going to be in Apollo Beach?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:36 AM

The in-laws will be in Southshore Falls. If anything, we are starting to lean more towards Fishhawk. I am having a hard time getting past the sub par school rankings.

Last edited by Jblamo; 10-14-2014 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM

673 posts, read 1,039,502 times
Quote:
The in-laws will be in Southshore Falls. If anything, we are starting to lean more towards Fishhawk. I am having a hard time getting past the sub par school rankings.
Fishhawk was our second choice when we were looking. We chose Mirabay because of the setting and my wife loves the resort feel of Mirabay. Fishhawk is nice but it was not for us. We're both retired and did not want an over 55 community so Southshore Falls was not considered. ANd, we no longer have kids in school.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:58 PM

I know there has been talk of zoning for a new school in waterset. Any idea if that will be elementary, middle or high school?

Old 10-14-2014, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,874 times
When moving into any deed restricted community I think you should be well aware of the fact that you will, most likely, not be able to enjoy most or all of the amenities you are paying for. As someone who used to live in FisHawk for 6 years I can tell you first hand that it is not worth it. You get up for work... everything is closed. There is usually an alarm on all pools so you can't even go for a morning dip without having someone over loud speaker shooing you out. If you buy one of few homes with a pool you get to pay arm and a leg and as far as privacy goes... what privacy?! After you get off work you go in... eat, change clothes etc.... and then bam... everything is closed. On weekends you go to the "recreational areas" and there are about 9 billion people there. In all the time I lived in FH i think I went to the pool 4 times... maybe and even then I felt violated that I could not bring all of my family over with me because apparently you are allowed to have only so many people with you.

Both FishHawk and Mira Bay are premier destinations in Tampa Bay. Mira Bay is closer to path of hurricanes than FishHawk is.

I moved out into country and while my commute increased, I am saving $300/mo in CDD/HOA fees. Can't beat that.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:01 AM

3,926 posts, read 10,309,886 times
Newland, the developer, says it's a Middle School. See here --> Waterset by Newland Communities | Apollo Beach, Florida. I didn't find anything about it on Hillsborough County's website due to time to scan a volume of documents.

Quote:
I know there has been talk of zoning for a new school in waterset. Any idea if that will be elementary, middle or high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay