U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:36 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,839,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Extreme Northern Michigan. U.P!!!! Yourself??
Detroit metro area. Grew up in Madison Hgts, worked at Chrysler at their Warren Truck Assembly plant. We are hoping to move back if the wife secures this big time job promotion. All our kids and grand kids are there. I'm retired now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 04:57 PM

3,012 posts, read 4,840,310 times
Ah, this thread again...

Old 10-15-2014, 04:59 PM

6,587 posts, read 6,802,467 times
Quote:
Now we're talking about good stuff.

I have read enough posts from you Spring Hillain to know you aren't saying anything against me. Never took it that way at all.

I actually have to ignore most posts regarding a STEREOTYPE. Never believed in it and never will. So usually just don't respond. But some feel the need regardless of how little they know about anything, to add their two cents (which isn't worth a cent).

The last couple days of posts really say it all about the people on here. We all seem to agree that Tampa is not snobbish, yet we read some of the posts that say just the opposite. One person even attributed a Range Rover to being a snob. I mean who really thinks like that? One of the most ridiculous comments I have read on here.

I have been on City Data for a long time and it's just about run it's course for me. Too bad, I enjoy the majority, but a few of these people really should move on to something else.
I laughed the Range Rover comment...just so dumb it makes my brain hurt...just biased nonsense that to everyone else (other then poster) sounds like pure envy of a less successful bitter individual...so often a few bad apples spoil it for others...don't let it...there are plenty of well adjusted people on this board...if you have to put the *****hats on ignore...

Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 PM

4,817 posts, read 3,467,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Ive met a lot of people in FL when I was a paralegal. They came from all walks of life but mostly people who lived in more rural areas within 75 miles or so from Orlando They figured that a "big city lawyer" could do a better job for them in their workers' compensation claims and the fact that small town lawyers didnt practice workers' compensation. Most of our clients were laborer types. Worked in fruit packing houses, construction, machine shops and machine operators. Hard working, but poor people and a lot of them had dental problems among others. These were the people who's great grandparents were the ones who got the the 160 acre lots for free if they lived on it and farmed it. Those lots are still in the possession of many families. Some were subdivided over time so that their children and grand children would inherit there own land as time went by. So, you have a whole lot of people holding title to a lot of land all over FL and they live in trailers, shacks or homes that probably doesnt have indoor plumbing, running water, reliable electric service. However, they to work every day they can.

I found that just because they had dental problems it did not mean they were ignorant or are too stupid to brush and floss. These folks just didnt have the money to pay for routine care or the treatment plan once a condition developed. They were lucky to scrape enough money together to have an abscessed tooth pulled but not have a root canal and cap. I also learned that having dental problems is not indicative of someone's intelligence. The only one who is ignorant is the person using it as a derogatory description of another. I found that the people from small rural towns like Bushnell, Lake Alfred, Lake Wales. Center Hill, Haines City, Lady Lake, Umatilla, Bartow and others were people who would feed you if you knocked on their door and said you were hungry. They were the people who packed the local churches on Sundays, they were the people who worked hard for little money.

Think about that the next time you mock people for missing teeth.

Its funny how you have a soft spot for the poor from the rural areas but often bash the poor from the urban areas. I am not knocking you I am probably the same way in reverse, its about what you know, I grew up in the lower east side a lot of good people with bad habits so I relate its a familiar backstory but a dirt poor white dude in a trailer I dont know what to think.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:44 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,839,745 times
[quote= PhotoProIP

I was quoted $987 for one root canal. There is a VERY good reason why people don't have teeth in their mouths in FL. I still drive 4 hours to Miami to my dentist. In all these years in Tampa we haven't found ONE office that didn't try to rip us off. My husband has perfect teeth no cavities, and they wanted to charge him $488 for a simple cleaning! No Thanks!
Your dentist may be ripping you off.

If your husband was quoted $488 was his gums bleeding? He most likely has sub-gingival calculus. And it has to be removed with a deep cleaning you could have good teeth but their foundation is failing. This is why my wife thinks for the high price for a deep cleaning. He is a Perio patient . Most likely he has gum disease. She has been in the dental insurance billing for over 25 yrs.and knows what prices are for what.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:06 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,255,257 times
I had deep cleaning back in 1997 when i lived in Tampa and it was $1200 back then.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times
yeah, I think we are usually on the same page. I agree, Stereotypes are ridiculous. Every person is an individual with their own good and bad traits but everybody never fits in one mold. You never know a person until you've sat down with them and have a discussion. That is when one can see the real person within.

I you enjoy the majority, stay. Participate. Spread the good.

Quote:
Now we're talking about good stuff.

I have read enough posts from you Spring Hillain to know you aren't saying anything against me. Never took it that way at all.

I actually have to ignore most posts regarding a STEREOTYPE. Never believed in it and never will. So usually just don't respond. But some feel the need regardless of how little they know about anything, to add their two cents (which isn't worth a cent).

The last couple days of posts really say it all about the people on here. We all seem to agree that Tampa is not snobbish, yet we read some of the posts that say just the opposite. One person even attributed a Range Rover to being a snob. I mean who really thinks like that? One of the most ridiculous comments I have read on here.

I have been on City Data for a long time and it's just about run it's course for me. Too bad, I enjoy the majority, but a few of these people really should move on to something else.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I had deep cleaning back in 1997 when i lived in Tampa and it was $1200 back then.
Its a time consuming and intensive process.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Its funny how you have a soft spot for the poor from the rural areas but often bash the poor from the urban areas. I am not knocking you I am probably the same way in reverse, its about what you know, I grew up in the lower east side a lot of good people with bad habits so I relate its a familiar backstory but a dirt poor white dude in a trailer I dont know what to think.

I dont undertstand your comment... bash poor from urban areas? Where, when?

I grew up in the west bronx where I was born and in Flatbush Brooklyn. My family was poor. My father was in the restaurant biz and my mother was a stay at home mom. I know for sure that situation lead me to where I went at about age 13. I didnt want to be poor. Ive stuck with that desire since then. I agree. There are many good people with bad habits. It depends on the habit whether that makes the person someone I can feel for or not.

"According to Census figures in 2013, 18.9 million whites are poor. That’s 8 million more poor white people than poor black people, and more than 5 million more than those who identify as Latino. A majority of those benefiting from programs like food stamps and Medicaid are white, too." Most Poor People in America Are White - The Root

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 10-16-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
The spring hillian please except my appolagy I get worked up a little to much.

Accepted. Don't ever forget. Guys like us are lucky that we were able to do something with our lives.

People dont move to Spring Hill because they have no choice. There are reasons for it.

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 10-16-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay