U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 06:44 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,289,700 times

Advertisements

Now you can kiss your bride LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 8,106 times
We love our home in WTergrass. We moved here in Dec from NC. We looked at Union Park ( was unique with the bridge entry, but once we looked around all you saw was construction, construction and more construction. When we went with our realtor to tour homes the person who was the sales rep must have forgotten we were coming so we had to look through the windows). We looked at Seven Oaks and it was cookie cutter homes with different faces. We wanted a 1 story home and every house they took us to see was a 2 story. When I asked about changing the floors out in a house that was still under construction I was told each home had a pre designed color palet. So I would spend almost $400,000 to get a new home that I would end up ripping the floors out of not happening. ).

We looked at Medow Point and Country walk. We ended up buying a Westbay Home that was 2 years old and was slammed with upgrades. We had a recent appraisal and we are already showing a new appraisal value of $24000 over what we paid. We just put in our pool. It is quite and very relaxing. We love it here. The schools are great and yes the drive is a bit farther, but you get what you pay for.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:33 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,427,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Watergrass zoned to horrible schools, so families with young kids are not looking to move their. The traffic is so bad during morning/evening hours and the hardest part is to get to SR 54 from there. $399K for a 4K sq. ft. house over their it's waaay too much!
EngGirl is exaggerating. The schools in Watergrass are not at all horrible. But EngGirl is making a good point. Those schools are mediocre and probably trending slowly downward. The whole point in moving to far out suburbs, dealing with long driving distances and underdeveloped roads, is to get away from dysfunction. If you can't achieve that, then those homes have much less market value. There are other neighborhoods in this area that are more desirable due to the schools.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:13 AM

25,779 posts, read 38,992,690 times
One of my kids went to WCHS and got accepted in 9 Universities/Colleges.

Many of his friends also got accepted in a lot of very good Colleges with scholarships but they were all motivated and had been in the gifted advanced program at Thomas E Weightman Middle School and benefitted from the great teaching of Ms. Abercrombie and other teachers.

to me if proved that it comes down to motivated students and even though some of the teachers due to illnesses, were replaced with not so great teachers, these kids still managed to perform very well.

A child can be in the best school and not perform so well.

Keep in mind that school grades/ratings conduct of many items and often are lower due to a group of students and kid that have no motivation at all. Also ESOL students results can be included and some ESOL students are doing very well but some hardly speak the English language causing ratings to be lower.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
EngGirl is exaggerating. The schools in Watergrass are not at all horrible. But EngGirl is making a good point. Those schools are mediocre and probably trending slowly downward. The whole point in moving to far out suburbs, dealing with long driving distances and underdeveloped roads, is to get away from dysfunction. If you can't achieve that, then those homes have much less market value. There are other neighborhoods in this area that are more desirable due to the schools.
Well, school was exactly as I described.... few years ago when I post my comment
To be fair since than it didn't improve much and their on-site elementary is still C rated school... Comparing these schools to other in Wesley Chapel/ Land O Lakes areas you def can find much better schools!

Old 09-07-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Keep in mind that school grades/ratings conduct of many items and often are lower due to a group of students and kid that have no motivation at all. Also ESOL students results can be included and some ESOL students are doing very well but some hardly speak the English language causing ratings to be lower.
It's hardly an excuse for any school have low rating. To be fair people in California look for higher number of Asians at school because as higher that number the better school rating is. And English is not any good by any means in that schools, but schools are 10 out of 10.

You statement about many factors being considered for the rating is valid, but the scale is the same for each school, so if one school in the area is A rated and another one is C rated, something is not right at the second school. By the way A rating means nothing. We have experience with A rated school (Seven Oaks Elementary) and in my opinion the school was far from being A rated school. We ended up choicing out from that school.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnyorkiemom View Post
We love our home in WTergrass. We moved here in Dec from NC. We looked at Union Park ( was unique with the bridge entry, but once we looked around all you saw was construction, construction and more construction. When we went with our realtor to tour homes the person who was the sales rep must have forgotten we were coming so we had to look through the windows). We looked at Seven Oaks and it was cookie cutter homes with different faces. We wanted a 1 story home and every house they took us to see was a 2 story. When I asked about changing the floors out in a house that was still under construction I was told each home had a pre designed color palet. So I would spend almost $400,000 to get a new home that I would end up ripping the floors out of not happening. ).

We looked at Medow Point and Country walk. We ended up buying a Westbay Home that was 2 years old and was slammed with upgrades. We had a recent appraisal and we are already showing a new appraisal value of $24000 over what we paid. We just put in our pool. It is quite and very relaxing. We love it here. The schools are great and yes the drive is a bit farther, but you get what you pay for.

I assume you were looking at specs homes when builders refused to make changes to floor plans and décor. Most people do not understand what the building process consist of. Any modifications to the floor plans must be done PRIOR to getting the permit OR the permit must be revised if there are any changes. 99% of local builders in this area will not be willing to changes the permit or charge the plan - they build cookie cutters and might not even have ability to make changes.
With inside décor (and by this I mean flooring type, tile colors) - mass builders have a chain they need to follow to get the materials. Orders for materials placed way in advance so changing the type of flooring (for example) later on in process will cost money to the builder and he will end up with two sets of different types of materials.

I was always puzzled when people were getting a lot of upgrades thru the builder - 1) it all way overprices (and think about rolling it into average 30 year mortgage!) and 2) a lot of upgrades like tile flooring better to do after house is settled. Get the carpet as a standard for no charge and upgrade it to wood/tile in a year. Not only you will avoid possible issues while house is getting settle, but also you will save a lot of money. And looking at the quality of work most builders do - it really worth it waiting and hiring your people to do it better. I think I visited most model homes and 99% of them have tiles placed in correctly with some pieced being higher/lower, so it's not entirely flat. Very poor job considering how much people are paying. Structural and electrical upgrades and for some people kitchen cabinets are the only upgrades people need to consider really in my opinion.

Sorry to say but appraisal is the value on the paper. When you sell higher, then you can claim value went up, but before - it's just numbers.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:40 PM

29 posts, read 22,903 times
Standard Pacific and Ryland Homes merged into CalAtlantic Homes. Not sure I've seen too much of a price reduction on listings. They also have alot of competition in that area.

I do believe the "sellers" market we are in will turn to a "buyers" market soon....

Old 09-07-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna.Cooper View Post
Standard Pacific and Ryland Homes merged into CalAtlantic Homes. Not sure I've seen too much of a price reduction on listings. They also have alot of competition in that area.

I do believe the "sellers" market we are in will turn to a "buyers" market soon....
nice crystal ball reading

Old 09-08-2016, 05:00 AM

25,779 posts, read 38,992,690 times
With low inventory I believe it will stay a sellers market for now but some homes are overpriced for what is offered and either sellers have to realize that and change the price or wait for a buyer who is willing and capable to over pay as some out of state buyers seem to be willing to over pay to move to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay