Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,765,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
I experienced the same issue. It all started in the St. Joseph’s ER in their new Lutz Hospital.
Then same evening in their Tampa ER. Five surgeries later, 3 were brain surgeries. I received bills from doctors that never even touched me.
Most of them charged more than my insurance company was willing to pay. They all send me bills for the difference. I called the insurance company and learned they pay the standard rates listed or coded. I did not pay any of the addition money asked for by the doctors. I will not. I upgraded my health insurance with my employer every year. I work for a huge Fortune 500 company, so I think we have buying power and have some of the best insurance available.
How long ago was it? Did your "debts" were sold to medical collectors?

Old 10-21-2014, 04:19 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
sorry I missed your link - article discusses at the end what you can do if you face this issue (balanced billing)

Old 10-21-2014, 11:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Did anyone ever hear of this prior to Obamacare?

I never heard of this and assume it can be related...
The situation has been around for decades. Has nothing to do with "obamacare"

Old 10-21-2014, 11:07 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Well, I guess next ER doctor as well as the hospital will see a penny from me. You will pay my bill. Does it sounds good?

why would I pay for a service you got?

Old 10-21-2014, 11:20 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The thing is ER docs dont deal with any insurance.

No insurance company would agree to their rates and no ER physician would accept what the insurance company is willing to pay.
They wouldnt accept the rates becasue they dont have to they have a captive customer base who has no choice but to accept their rates which they dont even have to tell you until they bill you, how crazy is that?. BTW 99% of ER cases dont need doctor House, thats why supposedly they do triage to asses the severity of the case, so they can easily assign it to a lesser professional if you want to call it that. You are arguing how the system works, I understand how it works, but that doesnt make it better reasonable, or sustainable.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:35 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
Quote:
The situation has been around for decades. Has nothing to do with "obamacare"
Strange that hardly anyone heard about this as it seems by reading this thread and why hasn't there been a legal case or has there been one since it seems there are people suing daily and this seems to me a huge issue for many people if this is something that you claim has been around for decades....

Old 10-21-2014, 11:44 AM

I haven't heard about balanced billing before - but had heard that doctors are dropping Medicare patients d/t Obamacare/ACA laws and accepting cash payments instead.

Obamacare Fallout: More Doctors Opting Out of Medicare

Old 10-21-2014, 12:09 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,765,428 times
Quote:
why would I pay for a service you got?
Well, someone will pay for it and it's not going to be me. I have insurance, I use in-network facilities, and all of a sudden I has to pay ridiculous amount. If you don't see anything wrong with this picture, it's not my fault.
I learned my lesson - do not disclose your personal info and DO NOT share your insurance info. It's very simple.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I haven't heard about balanced billing before - but had heard that doctors are dropping Medicare patients d/t Obamacare/ACA laws and accepting cash payments instead.

Obamacare Fallout: More Doctors Opting Out of Medicare
So what do people of low income or those newly retired and under 65 do if they get a medical bill for $20-$50K?and discover their insurance doesnt cover it..

Old 10-21-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So what do people of low income or those newly retired and under 65 do if they get a medical bill for $20-$50K?and discover their insurance doesnt cover it..
recommendations given at the end of this article....
Even with in-network hospital, insurance may not cover ER physicians | Tampa Bay Times

What can I do if I am balance-billed?

Don't automatically pay the bill, experts say. First, make sure your insurance plan paid what it should have. Many plans agree to pay at least something to out-of-network providers. United Healthcare says it typically offers out-of-network doctors a choice between Medicare rates and a regional average rate known as FAIR Health. And medical providers may reduce the bill or offer a payment plan when they learn your insurance won't cover it.

And don't forget: Florida prohibits providers from balance billing HMO members. Those patients can contact the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation for help resolving their bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay