U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:25 PM

14 posts, read 10,141 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Brand new here!

So I got an internship in the Tampa area from December to March. I live out of state currently, and came to Tampa & St Pete once like 7 years ago. I remember going to a restaurant in downtown St pete and then walking to the pier, and I thought the area was very cute. As far as Tampa I was only in Ybor City, the part with all the little shops and such, which I thought was really nice, from what I remember. But I haven't had much luck finding anything in that area.

Finding a furnished, pet friendly, short term apartment is not the easiest, but I have found a couple options....But I'm just not sure which to take and was hoping to get some local opinions.

One is in South Tampa, in the Palma Ceia area. The other is in St Pete, on 7th St N near Mirror Lake.

I'm a 24 year old female, and will be living alone (aside from my animals). The neighborhood I live in now is nice, and basically part of a neighborhood that is currently being "gentrified". I feel fine and safe here, so I'm not scared of someplace that isn't country-club- upper-crust-esque. I don't want to live in suburbia or somewhere where I have to drive everywhere. I'd like to be able to live somewhere within walking/biking distance to bars, coffee shops, restaurants, parks, etc. I don't want to be close to places like P.F Chang's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc. Again, it doesn't have to be the absolute best top neighborhood, as long as I can feel safe walking my dog around and going to places alone.

So which of those 2 do you think would work better for me?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,138,197 times
South Tampa is nice and St.Pete is up and coming so I guess it depends on your preferences in a city

Old 10-23-2014, 07:58 PM

Well that's what I'm wondering, I don't know what the South Tampa area has to offer.... and I don't really remember much about St Pete....

Old 10-23-2014, 09:39 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,138,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaturtle18 View Post
Well that's what I'm wondering, I don't know what the South Tampa area has to offer.... and I don't really remember much about St Pete....
It has a lot of young professionals living their. I keep hearing how it is the go to spot for a lot of people looking for up and coming area with lots of shops and renovations going on.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 PM

131 posts, read 107,248 times
You may not want to cross the bridge to Tampa everyday, especially during tourist season. Although the city has done good work at Mirror Lake, it's still too close to desperation to ever be without constant social issues.
St. Pete looks to improve Mirror Lake Park | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

Old 10-25-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenme View Post
You may not want to cross the bridge to Tampa everyday, especially during tourist season. Although the city has done good work at Mirror Lake, it's still too close to desperation to ever be without constant social issues.
St. Pete looks to improve Mirror Lake Park | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times
What kinda travel time will I be looking at with going over the bridge? I did google maps, but that's not taking into account tourist season. Also do you know anything about the Palma Ceia neighborhood? Thanks!!

Old 10-25-2014, 09:13 AM

4,812 posts, read 3,463,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaturtle18 View Post
What kinda travel time will I be looking at with going over the bridge? I did google maps, but that's not taking into account tourist season. Also do you know anything about the Palma Ceia neighborhood? Thanks!!
Palma ceia is one of the oldest most established areas in the Tampa area, is as walkable as it gets here. You would have no safety concerns whatsoever, the best restaurants in the area are in south Tampa, you can't go wrong the only thing to semiworry about is train noise depending where you are.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:24 PM

131 posts, read 107,248 times
From St Pete you would drive up on the I-275 heading north to cross the Bay, under normal conditions the traffic moves pretty well, 55mph average. Add 500,000 tourist from November to April, retires, motorhomes and the like and you can reduce your average speed to 45mph cause by accident and congestion. If your not traveling during rush hour, the trip isn't bad, but during peek travel times it can be. 20 miles doesn't seem that far unless your creeping along.
Good Luck

Old 10-27-2014, 08:00 PM

So I'm thinking to make it easier on myself and open up some options--- getting a longer lease instead of a 3 month lease. I've found a couple others that do 3 month leases, but they are super expensive.

So how easy do you think it would be to get someone to take my lease over? I was looking at Park Plaza Apts, which are studios on 2nd st N so they seem to be in the "good" area, right? I figured with having the university nearby, it would be easy to get someone to take over.

I'm just worried about this place I found because it's furnished and is done weekly or monthly and when I asked the woman if she was sure there would be something open in December in the building she said "Oh yea for sure there are always apartments opening up"....So I'm just worried about things like bed bugs and stuff with a place that so many people are going in and out of all the time with no lease or credit check or whatever. I dunno, it's just skeeving me out a bit. Is that paranoid?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 PM

21 posts, read 20,827 times
If you look in the university areas, sometimes you can find short term sub lets....like for a semester. Maybe a student has decided not to stay for the spring semester ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or