Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 PM

27 posts, read 28,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
How about STARTING wars where we don't belong? That's pretty disgusting, too. My dad (WW 2 vet) used to lose it every time the news came on during the Vietnam era. We thought he was going to have a stroke, sometimes.
It gets easier to come to terms with the imperialism when you realize that there are no "good guys" amongst the nation-states. Never have been, never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 03:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Completely agree. It just bums me out that the troops can't be who they are IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY. Then again, neither can many citizens, any more.
It's a simple force protection move. Members of the military are used to it (or should be). From my point of view, I think MacDill families blend in very well with the community. I do appreciate it when the Buccaneers bend over backwards to show appreciation for current and former vets along with their families. The Lightning do the same.

Really makes you proud to be an American.

I'm in the middle of watching The Pacific after spending last finally watching Band of Brothers. Just makes you proud of our heritage and all the sacrifices our Soldiers have made back in WWII and sad that so many paid the ultimate sacrifice for freedom in Europe.

Every American ought to watch Band of Brothers if they've yet to watch the series.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:01 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
It's a simple force protection move. Members of the military are used to it (or should be). From my point of view, I think MacDill families blend in very well with the community. I do appreciate it when the Buccaneers bend over backwards to show appreciation for current and former vets along with their families. The Lightning do the same.

Really makes you proud to be an American.

I'm in the middle of watching The Pacific after spending last finally watching Band of Brothers. Just makes you proud of our heritage and all the sacrifices our Soldiers have made back in WWII and sad that so many paid the ultimate sacrifice for freedom in Europe.

Every American ought to watch Band of Brothers if they've yet to watch the series.
OK, BucFan, I got it on the force protection. I also find the MacDill families to blend in very well and why not? Many have become a part of the community and choose to settle here.

I have also found my few business visits to MacDill in the past to be interesting and enlightening. As a civilian, I was treated with the utmost respect, friendliness and deference every step of the way, from reception to procurement, from location to location. Despite the respect and deference, a civilian visitor with half a brain is left with no doubt as to who is really in charge. That light, guiding touch on the elbow, the person in step at your side maintaining just the correct distance, the adherence to timelines and such, is all quite impressive. Too bad more civilians don't conduct themselves in such a respectful but businesslike manner. It's subtle, and I'm sure many civilians miss it, but I got the message loud and clear. And was most grateful to have these folks on my side.

And for that reason, I don't like to see them used or abused.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:50 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
It is interesting to see the difference base to base how the family system works and how the spouses (ok, really just the wives in my situation) seem to take their military status as if its a cause for a few dollars off their bill or something. Every wife i've met here in Georgia seems quick to always ask for a military discount. Nebraska and Florida i rarely ran into anyone asking. I dont ask for any discounts personally - i don't like giving away info that my husband is military to save a few bucks. Perhaps overly cautious, but i can afford that few dollars, so i'd rather just not deal with the hassle.

But, i will say, the base here in GA is closer knit as a community. I was never invited to any military functions, heck, i think in 4 years at macdill, i went on base less than 10 times, probably closer to 5. Here in GA, these wives are always getting together. Just tonight our squadron had a "trunk or treat" on base for our unit and they really really went all out for it. Seeing all those military families in one spot tonight helped reinforce that sense of community and common cause, especially during a sad time for our base, we just lost 3 men in japan a few weeks ago.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:16 PM

240 posts, read 586,254 times
Quote:
How about STARTING wars where we don't belong? That's pretty disgusting, too. My dad (WW 2 vet) used to lose it every time the news came on during the Vietnam era. We thought he was going to have a stroke, sometimes.
I guess what you are saying is Pearl Harbor and the Twin Towers affairs should have been ignored and everyone should have gone about their business as usual. Tough luck to the ones present on those two occasions.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
I guess what you are saying is Pearl Harbor and the Twin Towers affairs should have been ignored and everyone should have gone about their business as usual. Tough luck to the ones present on those two occasions.
You're not very good at guessing, then.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
There are a significant number of Americans, liberals mostly, who are in the "blame-America-first" crowd and think that terror attacks are deserved and brought on by our own actions.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:24 AM

MacDill email urging caution prompts responses from outrage to understanding | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

guess I better take the Army Vet sticker off my vehicle?

Old 10-25-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Here's what I said:

"How about STARTING wars where we don't belong? That's pretty disgusting, too. My dad (WW 2 vet) used to lose it every time the news came on during the Vietnam era. We thought he was going to have a stroke, sometimes."

Above is what "you guess" I said. Bears no resemblance. Not even close. Whoosh! Went right straight over your head.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:48 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
My son is in the Air Force Academy. I worry for my son when he travels. I know the terrorists have been looking at the place. I have the Air Force Academy sticker on my rear window. I wont be removing that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay