U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM

101 posts, read 80,946 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I missed out on the clearance prices on homes and now I'm stuck trying to find a place to buy and everything is too expensive or it's just not there. I currently live in South South Tampa, near Gandy and Westshore. I work in West Chase and my wife works at the airport. Moving to West Chase/ Town n Country makes perfect sense for our commute but I've never been a fan of the area. I would much rather be near the corner of Kennedy and Westshore. The commute wouldn't be great, but it would be much more manageable and I would still be near all the great things S Tampa has to offer. I've been looking for a while now and nothing has popped up on the radar. Since I can't find anything and my lease is up in January, I'm considering expanding my search to Westchase/ Town and Country. Any suggestions on nicer areas which aren't in a flood zone, no HOA and isn't super suburbia with cookie cutter homes? I need at least 2 bedrooms for under $300k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 09:34 AM

4,817 posts, read 3,468,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Unfortunately I missed out on the clearance prices on homes and now I'm stuck trying to find a place to buy and everything is too expensive or it's just not there. I currently live in South South Tampa, near Gandy and Westshore. I work in West Chase and my wife works at the airport. Moving to West Chase/ Town n Country makes perfect sense for our commute but I've never been a fan of the area. I would much rather be near the corner of Kennedy and Westshore. The commute wouldn't be great, but it would be much more manageable and I would still be near all the great things S Tampa has to offer. I've been looking for a while now and nothing has popped up on the radar. Since I can't find anything and my lease is up in January, I'm considering expanding my search to Westchase/ Town and Country. Any suggestions on nicer areas which aren't in a flood zone, no HOA and isn't super suburbia with cookie cutter homes? I need at least 2 bedrooms for under $300k.
Kennedy and Westshore is Beach Park, not going to find anything there unless is a tear down, maybe a townhome but the monthly fees would make your payment be like a 400k house, maybe if a house right on westshore pops up those are usually cheaper since there are on a main street. At any rate none of that helps you, but you can find a 2/2 for that in Virginia Park and West Palma Ceia, also the neighborhoods just north of Kennedy but south of Cass like , North Bon Air, Oakford Park they would have affordable prices and technically not South Tampa, but still zoned to South Tampa schools which keeps the demand high and the prices constant which is what you want you dont want your house to lose half of its value in a downturn. They are really up and coming neighborhoods lots of new constructions, mostly professionals and young families, I think that whole west shore corridor is going to explode in the next 5 years, they are building luxury apartments and townhouses as far north as Spruce which then you start running into the International Plaza area,so to be in the middle of those two expanding areas is probably a good investment.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:09 AM

That is actually exactly where I am looking. Basically anywhere in between downtown and west shore south of I275. Made a couple offers last year but they fell through, looking at prices now I wish I was more aggressive.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:25 AM

734 posts, read 730,186 times
Isn't most if not all of Westchase in a flood zone? I know at the very least it's in a hurricane evac zone.

Why not look a little further inland at Carrollwood or Citrus Park?

Old 10-31-2014, 11:39 AM

My issue with being farther north is I'm getting farther and farther from my natural habitat outside of work. Normally we can be found at gandy boat ramp, st pete beaches,DT st pete, ybor,etc. Also like being central for having friends over and restaurants. I realize that 80% of the time I'll be going back and forth between work and home and it likely makes more sense to live in WEst Chase but I really don't like the area. That being said, all I've really seen is what I can off of hillsboroug/memorial/racetrack/etc. I was hopinh you guys could point me in the right direction of some cool neighborhoods.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
That is actually exactly where I am looking. Basically anywhere in between downtown and west shore south of I275. Made a couple offers last year but they fell through, looking at prices now I wish I was more aggressive.
You can't find anything below 300k for a 2/2 or compared to what you saw prices 2 years ago you think they are too expensive? You can go a little east on Kennedy like north of SOHO between Himes and Armenia, like behind channel 13 (fox) thats a cool neighborhood, and prices are lower. If you go down Lois south of Azeele to El Prado you can probably find something in that price range, that would be Swann Estates, Virginia Park, West Palma Ceia, it would add 5-10 minutes to your commute as opposed to the westshore/Kennedy area, but you would be in the middle of S Tampa.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:49 PM

I hadnt looked into that area in more than a year ago when I was looking for an investment property, those prices shot through the roof, I remember plenty of houses from 150k to 250k in that north of kennedy area, but I do see what you are saying they seem to be severely over priced.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:56 PM

21 posts, read 20,864 times
Most of westchase in not in a flood zone, nor is it in a hurricane evacuation area. There are different alpha ratings depending on the section.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:22 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,262,199 times
You can find a home in Danashores that is not on the water for under 300k.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:40 AM

How about west Tampa, area north of Columbus between himes and habana, that area is central, you can go as far north as Hillsborough the closer to Himes the better the father north you get, the area behind Jesuit high school is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or