Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 2....How will you vote?
YES 33 80.49%
NO 7 17.07%
UNDECIDED 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:36 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We all have our opinions on this subject, here is mine. I grew up in the 60's and dated a lot of hippie chicks, and, consequently, I did smoke a little, but not all that much. So my hands are not entirely clean on this one, but I voted NO on the passage here in Florida.

The reason is, the attempt to legalize it had NOTHING to do with medicine and everything to do with loosening the laws so more people have access to it. California is a perfect example of the abuses of it............every Tom, Dick, and Harry can find a quack Dr to give them a script so that their "bad back" or insomnia becomes a legit reason to have access to it.

Attorney John Morgan is a huge proponent of it, and that phoney B*****D is using his Brother's illness to get sympathy for legalization. The fact is, John's law firm will profit greatly from future litigation that is created by this new industry. He doesn't give a damn about pain and suffering, he cares about John Morgan's bank account.

I am so happy this movement failed. It would have been just one more nail in the coffin of sensibility in this State.

Don

If you think this movement had anything to do with helping the sick, look at this video of John Morgan and a crowd of people who could care less about the medical aspects.........they just want to get high legally.Mod Edit

I agree with you. It's all about money, and not killing the pain. Marijuana cannot kill pain for last stage cancer patients (and this is what majority is using as main argument for now)... More people will get high legally... They will make up "medical conditions" and there will be doctors who will prescribe it and I bet Medicaid will cover it for free... great deal!

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 11-05-2014 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Removed video with offensive language

Old 11-05-2014, 09:08 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
So, are we going to cancel drug screening for employment if marijuana will get "go ahead" because everyone who fails the drug test could claim he/she uses medical marijuana and you have no rights to request medical records due to HIPA law.

After reading different studies I came to conclusion that marijuana compare to other pain fillers doesn't have enough power to act like strong pain killer, so in cases then people are at last stage of cancer marijuana will not take pain away WITHOUT other pain killers. Talking about cancer and pain people are going through during last stages, someone very close and special to me passed away and it was hard for all of us, but I still againt legalization.
If you test positive for marijuana and don't provide a card for usage, then you would fail- sure.

Also, I know plenty of people who have failed drug tests because of their medication and were asked to provide proof of it. They did and all was well. Depending on the state, employers can certainly ask for proof of medication from potential employees who have accepted a job offer and undergo screening. For public employees, I don't think they even have a choice.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:09 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I agree with you. It's all about money, and not killing the pain. Marijuana cannot kill pain for last stage cancer patients (and this is what majority is using as main argument for now)... More people will get high legally... They will make up "medical conditions" and there will be doctors who will prescribe it and I bet Medicaid will cover it for free... great deal!
You can make the same argument for any drug, think "Pill Mill". You have a substance that most people agree it should be available, make no mistake the majority of people want this, as evidenced by the 57% vote, it makes total sense to bring it into our economy tax it, regulate it like everything else. There is pretty strong consensus that the benefits far outweigh the social costs from economists and social sciences standpoint.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:16 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
Quote:
We all have our opinions on this subject, here is mine. I grew up in the 60's and dated a lot of hippie chicks, and, consequently, I did smoke a little, but not all that much. So my hands are not entirely clean on this one, but I voted NO on the passage here in Florida.

The reason is, the attempt to legalize it had NOTHING to do with medicine and everything to do with loosening the laws so more people have access to it. California is a perfect example of the abuses of it............every Tom, Dick, and Harry can find a quack Dr to give them a script so that their "bad back" or insomnia becomes a legit reason to have access to it.
If I understand you, everyone in California can easily get medical marijuana through whatever loopholes. Let's just say you are 100% correct about that assumption.

Can you provide overwhelming sources or news articles where something negative has happened due to someone smoking marijuana in California since it was legalized? I just want to see the negative here. Otherwise, I have to infer that you don't like the fact that some people are able to break the law currently and get away with it...and you certainly don't want those people being able to do it legally. Because...it's the law, is that right?

If someone is smoking it for pleasure or for pain, explain to me how that hurts you specifically.

For the record, I had an employee show up late to work 3 times over their probation period because they were "adapting to their Ambien prescription" to help them sleep. Every damned Tom, Dick, and Harry can get hold of that devil's candy!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Old 11-05-2014, 01:27 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Thank you old white Republicans once again

Florida I1 Elections - 2014 Midterm Elections News & Results - NBC News

Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:

Attorney John Morgan is a huge proponent of it, and that phoney B*****D is using his Brother's illness to get sympathy for legalization. The fact is, John's law firm will profit greatly from future litigation that is created by this new industry. He doesn't give a damn about pain and suffering, he cares about John Morgan's bank account.

I am so happy this movement failed. It would have been just one more nail in the coffin of sensibility in this State.

Don

If you think this movement had anything to do with helping the sick, look at this video of John Morgan and a crowd of people who could care less about the medical aspects.........they just want to get high legally.

Mod Edit
Buddy, a majority of voters approved this yesterday. Actually a higher percentage than when CA and OR passed it in their own states. Make no mistake, its only a matter of time. Wait till 2016 when it's a presidential election year and thus more young people come out to vote, you won't be singing the same tune.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:44 PM

351 posts, read 320,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Buddy, a majority of voters approved this yesterday. Actually a higher percentage than when CA and OR passed it in their own states. Make no mistake, its only a matter of time. Wait till 2016 when it's a presidential election year and thus more young people come out to vote, you won't be singing the same tune.
It's very sad to see old people cling to their beliefs, regardless of the empirical data. They are old, scared and grasping for 'the good old days.' Clueless.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
It's very sad to see old people cling to their beliefs, regardless of the empirical data. They are old, scared and grasping for 'the good old days.' Clueless.
Clarification please. Are you saying you are not open to the wisdom and ideas of the greatest generation?

I know many seniors who are in favor of medical marijuana.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 11-06-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 01:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Florida is not that progressive of a state, not surprised. Northern Florida is super conservative and nothing like South Florida, maybe they should make it two states lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: