U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 9,745 times

Advertisements

Hi, moved to Largo recently (Indian Rocks and West Bay area) I’m on GAPS diet need specific things for my diet, I have no car only a bicycle so long distances are difficult for shopping. Things I need to find:

1) Seafood where I can get fish heads like Groper or King fish, places like Wards and Fish island I call they almost never have it, I realized that most fish heads are sold as bait by wholesalers, so it’s not easy to source out retail. The other place I found is Save on Seafood, which is a little far from me, but again they said maybe on weekends they’ll have it so still don’t know if it’s reliable source.
Any idea where I might be able to source out some fish heads in small quantities not far from my house? I even tried local restaurants but they get it as mostly fillet already.

2) Good butcher with grass fed beef, poultry, maybe exotic stuff lie rabbit…. the only place I found online is “southernsteer “again not that close to me, maybe someone can suggest a closer option.

3) Dairy, I can’t find any raw milk, I know it’s illegal for human consumption I emailed “floridarawmilk” and “aldayfarm” no response so far

4) Fresh produce, well there is more organic in Wal-Mart then Publix, Vitamin Outlet Largo has very limited choice

Maybe there is a good farmers market where I can get all these things at once.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:59 AM

1,404 posts, read 2,500,878 times
Very tricky, you should look up cooperatives that maybe deliver. Fishheads - really not sure - what about catching them yourself? Natures Food Patch Missouri and Cleveland I think might be a bit too far? They have more organic stuff but fish heads again, not certain. Florida really isn't an organic farm to table paradise.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 9,745 times
Yes, I'm suprized to learn that produce veriety is low and prices are very high.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 917 times
There is an Abby's Healthfood store, in Carrollwood (Tampa) that sells raw milk. I am not sure where else you can find it.

I too was surprised at the high cost of produce here in FL. Citrus costs less in NY.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:35 PM

4,817 posts, read 3,468,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdata View Post
There is an Abby's Healthfood store, in Carrollwood (Tampa) that sells raw milk. I am not sure where else you can find it.

I too was surprised at the high cost of produce here in FL. Citrus costs less in NY.
If you go to plant city places like parksdale they sell citrus super cheap in season

Old 11-06-2014, 06:29 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,141,882 times
I'm pretty sure their is plenty of options you just have to travel and check out app yelp. Florida is a place where people are more active than any other southern state or Midwest state so options are always expanding. Plus it has terrific climate for growing food year round unlike up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or