U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,714 times

Advertisements

Hello to all

My wife & I may be moving from NYC to Tampa next year and I was curious about the smoking policies. NYC has a no smoking policy in bars, pool halls & restaurants. What's the story with Tampa? When doing some Yelp/Tripadvisor Googling it seems that it's down to the individual establishment. Is that the case?

We're both non-smokers and I can't go anywhere that's filled with smoke for health reasons.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM

114 posts, read 118,201 times
Smoking is banned inside of restaurants. However, in this warm climate, many eateries are mostly or partly outdoors. Smoking is legal in outdoor areas, which pizzes me off because the outdoor areas are normally the best seats, nice patios sometimes waterview. Any establishment may limit/ban smoking in outdoor areas, but not enough do so, IMO.

I'm an ex-smoker and am NOT holier than thou about the issue, but all we're asking people to do at restaurants is to not smoke during a meal....maybe an hour or so?? Pathetic that smokers can't do that....even when I smoked (and I smoked almost 2 packs a day at one time), I never smoked at a food table (home or out).

I have literally been seated on patios/decks and watched many a smoker actually smoke WHILE eating, between bites!!! Jeeze.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:57 PM

Thanks Frannie. We're both ex-smokers too and wouldn't smoke near other people who are eating. That gives me the lowdown on restaurants. Any idea about bars/pool halls?

Old 11-05-2014, 03:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,605,731 times
I noticed that in Sarasota there is no smoking on the beaches, but up here I still see cigarette butts which is gross. I am a former Marlboro smoker too, so I am not saying "don't smoke", but just consider there are kids at the beach who don't need to be around that....I stopped in 2007, and just NOW in Disney they moved one of the smoking areas away from an eating place! I mean it was disgusting, and I didn't smoke anywhere near where someone was eating...but that's more of a common sense issue, and there are a lot of idiots around here without any commonsense!

Mind you, the morons that run Disney want to put those e-cig smokers in the same place are the real smokers, so my husband is super pissed because he is trying to quit, and not go anywhere near real cig smoke anymore...so this is a really $hitty thing that's happening around here too...

There is no smoking inside anywhere at this point, but again, when you go outside, if they keep the ashtray near exits you'll smell it...

Old 11-05-2014, 03:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,605,731 times
ACTUALLY.......The WORST you will experience here is when you're at a stop light and the moron in front of you smokes with the window open so it all gets into your car!!! I see a lot of these people littering cigarettes everywhere on these roads! So RUDE!

Old 11-05-2014, 07:59 PM

819 posts, read 1,006,563 times
Several excellent non-smoking pool halls exist in and around Tampa Bay. Peabodies up in Tampa Palms is great, for example.

The whole mess is because whomever is charged with enforcing the smoking venue laws seems to mostly ignore the law enforcement aspect of their job. My understanding is that the law says if the bulk of the revenue is from booze, they can choose to allow smoking. If not, they can't have smoking. In reality, some venue owners will stop serving food at a certain hour and then allow smoking only during that time, even though the overall revenue is still from non-booze. No one seems to do anything about it even though that is not how the law is written.

In any case, you'll still have plenty of options.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or