U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:55 PM

6 posts, read 4,780 times

Advertisements

I'm considering leaving my charming but rural and isolated desert town to live closer to my adult kids in the Tampa area. I've been reading about different communities in the Tampa area and I keep going back to Dunedin. Much of what I have read sounds very inviting.
In a couple weeks, I will immerse myself (for 3 WHOLE days) in Dunedin , hoping i can walk away feeling positive that this is my new home town.
A couple questions:
I'm retired, early 60's and wondering if it is an easy place to make friends and feel at home quickly?
Are there particular lively neighborhoods with a community feel ? I don't want to live in a neighborhood where you never see or talk to your neighbors.
Any particular places to visit/hang out or avoid?
I hope it works out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:29 AM

4,226 posts, read 5,680,818 times
IMO, Dunedin along with Safety Harbor are the two best communities in North Pinellas County. They have more of a feel of an actual town than the rest of N. Pinellas.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:35 AM

114 posts, read 118,429 times
We left our charming isolated (and funky) high desert town when we needed to relocate to East Coast for family reasons.

Over the course of 2 winters, we rented homes in the historic downtowns of Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Gulfport. We liked them all, but Gulfport was the friendliest and most laid-back, with better walking/biking options and a stellar restaurant scene (a dozen eateries within a 10 minute walk from our home). And I can get to Tampa airport in 22 minutes (non rush)!

Check out all of the above and see which one is the best fit for you.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,348,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert dogs View Post
... I've been reading about different communities in the Tampa area and I keep going back to Dunedin. Much of what I have read sounds very inviting.
In a couple weeks, I will immerse myself (for 3 WHOLE days) in Dunedin , hoping i can walk away feeling positive that this is my new home town.
A couple questions:
I'm retired, early 60's and wondering if it is an easy place to make friends and feel at home quickly?
Are there particular lively neighborhoods with a community feel ? I don't want to live in a neighborhood where you never see or talk to your neighbors.
Any particular places to visit/hang out or avoid?
I hope it works out!
Well, I hope Dunedin feels good to you--it did to us when we bought our winter home there 3 years ago, and we continue to love it. And it is a very easy place to make friends--I think partly because so many others are from somewhere else. The downtown is very lively, and some of the bars are the best place to meet people. We hang around the Dunedin Brewery, the Olde Bay Cafe (down by the water), Rosie's Tavern, all good places to meet people. If you're there on the weekend, the Green Market in Pioneer Park (right in the middle of downtown.) If you're into football, there's Eddy's up on Alt 19 with every game on a different TV, and partisan fans watching them all on Sundays.

But I'll tell you, we've met most of our friends at the Dunedin Brewery or the Olde Bay!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:03 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,789,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
IMO, Dunedin along with Safety Harbor are the two best communities in North Pinellas County. They have more of a feel of an actual town than the rest of N. Pinellas.
I would add Tarpon Springs to this as well.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 11-11-2014, 10:26 AM

114 posts, read 118,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I would add Tarpon Springs to this as well.
Yes, Tarpon Springs, too. We liked it, but it didn't have enough diversity in the restaurant category downtown...most eateries are Greek. Good food, but too much of the same thing.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:39 AM

1,402 posts, read 2,499,897 times
I think that the Dunedin area would be perfect for you, given your comments. It is very friendly, and there is a lovely arty and eclectic feel to the area, with wonderful waterfront/harbor area. Not too far to a bit of beach if you want it and lots of different places to eat from coffee and breakfast to fine dining. Many events on there outdoors through the cooler months but still things on in summer too. Nice breezes off the sound keeps it feeling pleasant in summer.
I have recently relocated a couple who retired (young) from NC to here and they are so happy, they love the outdoor vibe and have little dogs, and its a very pet friendly town. You also have the pinellas trail running right through the center of the town, so if you like to bike/jog/walk...... I hope you have a fabulous time on your visit. Good luck with your hunting.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:37 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,348,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
I think that the Dunedin area would be perfect for you, given your comments. It is very friendly, and there is a lovely arty and eclectic feel to the area, with wonderful waterfront/harbor area. ...they are so happy, they love the outdoor vibe and have little dogs, and its a very pet friendly town. ...
Yes, it's very pet-friendly, but be aware of condos--most of them don't allow pets. Our 55+ association just changed the rules to allow cats and birds, but still no dogs, and this is very common.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:17 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,609,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
Yes, Tarpon Springs, too. We liked it, but it didn't have enough diversity in the restaurant category downtown...most eateries are Greek. Good food, but too much of the same thing.
But that's because Tarpon is a huge Greek community...

Don't forget to visit Honeymoon Island at some point in those 3 days...

Old 11-11-2014, 01:52 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,789,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
Yep, it is Greek for sure.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay