U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 08:41 AM

114 posts, read 118,258 times

Advertisements

When we moved here, we hired the first guy who came by (he does one neighbor's lawn with whom he is good friends). We didn't haggle over price or ask any specifics about the service (we were very busy moving in, doing some renovations, etc.). We have never used a lawn care service before.

Now that we've been through a year with this company, we're wondering if we're paying a fair rate and getting all the services we're paying for.

From Dec. through April, he mowed twice a month and each time he 'blew' the lawn and did all the edging. From May to October, he mowed every week, but only did the edging and blowing once a month.

We have a 10,000 sq. ft. lot.

We pay a flat $120 a month for the service, regardless of how often he mows/edges/blows.

I realize I can get estimates from others, but as I said he's good friends with my neighbor and is over there regularly, so I'd rather not get estimates unless others think I am overpaying, given the facts stated above.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 09:28 AM

21 posts, read 20,842 times
I think it sounds about right. What is just as important as price is are you happy with his services? We had several lawn services and they are always good at first, then start slacking off. They would always be in such a hurry to get to the next job that they would miss stuff they were supposed to do. If you have a good guy he is probably worth keeping.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,781,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
When we moved here, we hired the first guy who came by (he does one neighbor's lawn with whom he is good friends). We didn't haggle over price or ask any specifics about the service (we were very busy moving in, doing some renovations, etc.). We have never used a lawn care service before.

Now that we've been through a year with this company, we're wondering if we're paying a fair rate and getting all the services we're paying for.

From Dec. through April, he mowed twice a month and each time he 'blew' the lawn and did all the edging. From May to October, he mowed every week, but only did the edging and blowing once a month.

We have a 10,000 sq. ft. lot.

We pay a flat $120 a month for the service, regardless of how often he mows/edges/blows.

I realize I can get estimates from others, but as I said he's good friends with my neighbor and is over there regularly, so I'd rather not get estimates unless others think I am overpaying, given the facts stated above.

Thanks for your input.
Price sounds ok, except the edging and blowing should be done every time they are there.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 11-11-2014, 11:14 AM

2,709 posts, read 4,386,598 times
The price is reasonable for that size of lot, may be $10 bucks or so higher, which isn't much if you are happy with the service.

I am also surprised that he doesn't do the edging and blowing every time he cuts the grass. Are you sure of that? Normally, they do all these three together. I have a similar lot size and do it myself--kind of my workout while saving . Very easy to do if you have the three equipment that are needed. Summer you need to do weekly then it comes once a month or even less frequent on the middle of winter.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:06 PM

819 posts, read 1,007,011 times
I pay $160/mo for about the same thing, plus another $50/mo to a place to do fertilizer/weed spraying. The lawn guy does weed/edge/sweep every visit, which is weekly during faster growing months, and bi-weekly during winter months, so there's leaves sitting around right now. I feel like it's on the high side but he's reliable and hasn't tried to increase my rates in four years, so I haven't taken any action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or