Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:54 PM

473 posts, read 543,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
50% of your "panic moments" are job related.

Get the job first and problem solved. You said you both have marketable skill. So, you should first get the job.
Your right, and actually I may be able to stay with my current employer and work remotely. I plan on having that discussion with my employer next year.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:25 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Life is full of "what-ifs." What if you DON'T make the move and end up staying miserable and asking "what if we had moved?"

Sounds like you did your research, and by the way the IMO the weather here is only bad June - Sept. most years. By Oct we were already having nice days - still warmer but with low humidity. To me weather is great about 8 mo out of the year (I am a native)

I think you will LOVE living here. Concentrate on how you will make a living and your fears will go away.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
Well obviously we do not have any experience "living" in Florida, however we have traveled there extensively and experienced the great hot and humid summers. Also its not 8 months of relentless heat and humidity its May through October at best.
Rudy, we've been here for a year and love it. What you have to do is commit yourself, make a detailed plan (logistically and financially), get started and stick with it.

You WILL love it!!

Old 11-17-2014, 10:16 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,574 times
Moving is scary.... especially if you have never moved away from friends or family, or have never moved with your own family. This is why so many people do not do it. A lot of people talk about it, but never execute.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Life is full of "what-ifs." What if you DON'T make the move and end up staying miserable and asking "what if we had moved?"

Sounds like you did your research, and by the way the IMO the weather here is only bad June - Sept. most years. By Oct we were already having nice days - still warmer but with low humidity. To me weather is great about 8 mo out of the year (I am a native)

I think you will LOVE living here. Concentrate on how you will make a living and your fears will go away.
We love the HOT weather and I know we will love it, thanks for the positivity

Old 11-17-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Moving is scary.... especially if you have never moved away from friends or family, or have never moved with your own family. This is why so many people do not do it. A lot of people talk about it, but never execute.
The plan is in place, and your right, I know we'll love it. My wife is ready to move now....lol

Old 11-19-2014, 01:23 PM

105 posts, read 135,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What is your experience of living in Florida as it would be a shame to risk it all merely because of the weather only to discover 8 months of relentless heat and humidity is equally as unpleasant as your current northern winters.
Being in Chicago, and having visited Florida in the summer, I respectfully TOTALLY disagree with you. Unless you have lived our winters, you have no idea what it's like to deal with winters here; especially the one we had last year. Almost non-stop snow for the entire winter which equates to constant shoveling, snow blowing, ice scraping, avoiding countless pot holes and avoiding constant depression. We have hot summers here too (which on some days can be hotter and more humid than down by you) and I'd switch places with you in a heartbeat.

We're looking to do the same exact thing and at the same time the OPers are. And we can't wait. We don't look at it as "risking it all". Worst case scenario, we move back here and odds are we'll more than likely be able to go back to our old jobs so it's not as risky as it sounds. Moving twice would be a b!t&h though!

Old 11-19-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
The plan is in place, and your right, I know we'll love it. My wife is ready to move now....lol
Rudy, given the winter snowstorm you just experienced, aren't you and your wife ready to move tomorrow? It is currently sunny and 62. Ah, winter in Florida!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
Being in Chicago, and having visited Florida in the summer, I respectfully TOTALLY disagree with you. Unless you have lived our winters, you have no idea what it's like to deal with winters here;
Its all about opinion and personal preference and how one tolerates various weather conditions , i grew up in St Pete so i know all about Florida weather, I've lived for the past 35 years here in Montreal so i know all about winter,I know enough people who cant tolerate Floridas heat and humidity and look at it very negatively, knowing how one adapts to it is something to consider when relocating to the state.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its all about opinion and personal preference and how one tolerates various weather conditions , i grew up in St Pete so i know all about Florida weather, I've lived for the past 35 years here in Montreal so i know all about winter,I know enough people who cant tolerate Floridas heat and humidity and look at it very negatively, knowing how one adapts to it is something to consider when relocating to the state.
That's fine. I assume those who can't adapt live elsewhere rather than being miserable and complaining all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay